Tesco 99 octane

cupra fan

Nov 30, 2001
norfolk
Visit site
Filled up with this stuff for the first time! Impressed, normaly use optimax only but had to give this a go! initial impressions, seriously enhanced gear changing around town, nice idle and goes better than optimax. One down side is noise! on acceleration you can notice a lot of manifold style noise, sounds like you've changed part of the exhaust system! Thumbs up for 89.9 pence a litre of this stuff at great yarmouth. (5 pence off a litre after food shop) ,mpg went up by 2 as well!
Nice one tesco :lol:

Jonny

slightly insane monkey
Jul 5, 2005
South Wales
Didn't realise there was such a thing as 99 octane! Trip to Tesco's tomorrow me thinks - give it a go!

SKRPhoenix

Aug 13, 2005
Not many places have it yet. It's about alright, but I think they are testing just a couple of fuel stations per area if you get what I mean.

I don't know of any round here yet. :(

cupra fan

Nov 30, 2001
norfolk
Visit site
Unfortuantly a lot of tesco's don't sell it! started in the south east under trial, but seems to be creeping out to other stores! Have a search, remember a post about this fuel here on cupra net! good luck!

Jonny

slightly insane monkey
Jul 5, 2005
South Wales
Just had a read of a thread on pistonheads... they say that Tesco gets their fuel from Shell & it's actually 98 Octane, not 99?

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
Jonny said:
Just had a read of a thread on pistonheads... they say that Tesco gets their fuel from Shell & it's actually 98 Octane, not 99?
Surely if they're selling it as 99 octane and it's in reality 98, then they're breaking the Trade Descriptions act?

cordobabrendy

FOOORRREEE!
Aug 24, 2001
belfast
they get their basic petrol from the same place, in fact same tanks but its the additives added in via a second feed when its being loaded onto the lorries that makes the difference, ie detergents etc

Chris`I

Turbo Club Member
Apr 22, 2005
Basingstoke, Hants
Tescos @ Chineham, Basingstoke has just got it. Im only on my second tank in my new leon FR so cant really comment, accept its slightly cheaper than Optimax (97.9p vs 99.9p) and I stopped filling when it got to £50 :cry:

chiefsilverback

Terrible thing a poo poo!
Mar 21, 2005
RTW, Kent
I'm always dubious when people fill up with a different petrol and there's a sudden surge of power etc... It takes a couple of tank loads for the system to flush through and the ECU to adjust, so I think that it's mostly the placebo effect working.

Even when it does start to have an affect, going from 98 to 99 can only make a fractional difference? I can understand moving from 88 to 98 but seriously 1 octane cannot do a huge amount.....

Reg

Professional Detailer
Oct 10, 2005
Berkshire
I agree - there is no way that a change of petrol is going to completely change the way a car sounds and changes gear. The change from regular to super unleaded usually starts to show after a couple of tanks (as already stated) while the ECU learns, idle and throttle response often improve, and there might be a couple of bhp at the end. Good to know that it is Shell fuel though - Optimax is getting really expensive around my way (101.9p per litre) so I am using regular unleaded in my M3, and Optimax in my bike. I am picking up my Leon in a couple of weeks, and have told my wife to use decent petrol in it!

cup rahhh

Aug 16, 2003
Kent
Visit site
been using it for a few months -

better than optimax - YES

cheaper than optimax - YES - espcially when they keep closing shell garages down in the area

sticking with optimax - NO

tesco's seems to hold on that little bit longer - not so much of a drop off after a few days that i noticed with optimax in my car

all in all impressed !

Si

Southern MoFo!
Aug 21, 2003
Bournemouth
www.westover.org.uk
I have been using it for months now too. Defo good stuff and much much cheaper than Optimax.

However Tesco's get there fuel from Texco .... well they use to anyway.

I do believe it has been a success down here so yes they will be spreading round the UK! :funk:

AoS

It is mine, all mine.....
Mar 28, 2005
Wiltshire
Jonny said:

I passed a BP garage the other day and it had a Tesco tanker filling it up?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise