The to do list

Howrare

Nov 17, 2011
Obergurgl, Tirol, Austria
SO pick up my Tolly V5 on Thursday, and can't wait. Also looking forward to taking a pretty clean and sorted car, and making it even better. So in no particular order I'm planning:

Clay Bar, and full polish
Seal doors
Clean leather
Razor and clean allacantra
Fit aux cable to MFD (really need help with were to get a cable)
Winter service
Fit winter rubber
De-badge boot
Try source an Alps & MRE nav disc
Replace glovebox handle

That'll do for a start, fancy a front splitter and an ss exhaust, but that will have to wait.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I've just realised, you asked all those questions about the aux cable for the MFD, and my responses were not exactly helpful!!

This is the aux input I used;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150694983258

The blue wire needs to be connected to a positive feed to enable the 'tv' function on your MFD. The headphone socket then plugs into your ipod etc. I had to use an inline amp to boost the signal a little bit, but that was because of my MP3 player rather than the lead.

Razoring the alcantara works really well to remove bobbling, don't do it too much though. Speak to Dave at Sere Motors (look on this forum for instructions) for the glovebox handle. You must have seen by now the numerous threads on door seals, I would recommend you put that quite high on your list though as winter is (almost) with us.

Howrare

Nov 17, 2011
Cheers Slimy, I'll get that on order asap. Been checking out the forum for the other stuff. It's all on here isn't it. Awesome stuff.

Off to pick up the Tolly now. I'm slightly over excited.

Howrare

Nov 17, 2011
EPIC! EPIC! EPIC! This could be the best car for Pistonhead Shed money ever! Its a bargain.

Smashing cruise from Essex back to Ipswich. 80mph returned 30mpg plus. Not a single rattle, rumble, or bump to be heard. Climate control very cosy, and the MFD stereo was very surprising. The best OE system I've heard since the Apline one in my old Volvo S60 SE's, and every bit as good as my housemates 58 plate Scirocco. The V5 sounds much like the inline 5 pot in that old S60 too.

Very much looking forward to a little fettling and fetting to know it some more.

Sjx

I paid £1400 2 months ago for a 53 plate, but it did have only 2 months tax.

Reading this is basically me 2 months ago, even the list is similar. I'm averaging 28 mpg on a 16 mile commute with a mix of town, motorway and dual carriageway and more surprisingly the trip computer was 0.1 mpg out last time.

Howrare

Nov 17, 2011
975 which I was pretty happy about particularly with it having a brand new MOT. There was a slightly older 120k mile 150bhp in blue up for 800, but it was in Somerset. Bit of a stretch to get too. Mine will need some tax at the end of the month Sjx. I'd just taxed the car I'd been using prior to this (brothers Multipla JTD!!!) so I'll be getting that transfered over to this.

Need to add rather vocal starter motor to the list, and it was a bit grumpy in the chilly weather this morning. Bit of throttle and it burst right into life. Got to learn what it likes I guess. Off to the forum I go for the answers to the starter.

Cheers guys.

Howrare

Nov 17, 2011
I've been so busy the list isn't really shrinking at all. MFD iPod cable and removal keys have arrived, and might be able to have a look at that on Saturday, and the winter rubber got fitted this morning.

As for the glovebox the previous owner put some small velcro patches to hold the box up which work very well. I might just glue the handle back in place so as not to have a gapping hole in the dash.

As for the rest.... its going to have to wait. Just not going to have time to do it before I set off to Austria on Monday.

Slimy, can you remember where you took a positive feed from for that blue wire? (found the thread, CD changer 12v right?, is it obvious which one is the 12v? I'm a bit of a 'tard when it comes to this stuff and your photos have vanished)

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Let me find out why the photo's have gone, then at least the thread will work again. In the meantime, when you remove the head unit, you should find pictures of the connectors on top. That should give you access to a permanent live and a switched live. I can't remember the colours, but I remember the wires are thicker than the others so it's fairly easy to see which ones you need. I simply cut a slit in the cover to expose the wire, poked the blue wire into it then taped it up again.

Howrare

Nov 17, 2011
In a late flurry of activity....

Aux Cable done! Slimy, advice was indispensible, many thanks. Took well under an hour to do, and other than having a little sodding about getting the cables back in so the head unit would click back in place, trouble free.

Seats shaved. Woke redic early this morning, so took the chance to squeeze this job in. Beard trimmer nail brush, and a bic razor all put to good use. Not perfect results but so much better.

Glove box handle glued back in place. Velcro is doing the holding duties nicely.

Off to clean the leather, wash off the salt, polish the glass, and check my levels in a bit. Then setting off for part one of a 1400 mile, 6 country week

cliveseat

May 15, 2008
West Yorks
Very envious of you! Got rid of a lovely '02 V5 a couple of months back (I couldn't live with the fuel consumption and VED) and while I really like the Exeo TDi Sport I replaced it with (50mpg against 30mpg), I DO miss the Tolly's smoothness, torque, alcantara, electric seats, stereo and stealth car looks. So under-rated - and such a bargain! But then everyone on this forum probably knows that already.

Howrare

Nov 17, 2011
1150 miles done! It hasn't missed a beat, superb cruising tool. Fully loaded, and feeling rather heavy it still did 32mpg. The first 185 mile stint from Ipswich to Peterborough saw 44mpg!!!! I was driving like a granny as I left way to early to pick up my co-pilot. Goes to show though how much effect the speed has. 3 hour stint yesterday at 60-80mph saw 38.... it was largely down hill though :). Expecting that to plumet when I make the return leg back along the Brenner Pass. Pics to follow.

Howrare

Nov 17, 2011
Seen the current copy of CAR with the 911 test?.... thats where I live :) The tolly has been flying up and down that valley in all sorts of conditions. Not as fast as the weapons in the aforementioned artical, but it never fails to make me smile how much quality can be had for so little money. Still not drinking fuel either. Helped by the 45 minute downhill at the start of every journey no doubt :)

Howrare

Nov 17, 2011
BAH! Drivers window clips have broken! It was only a matter of time I guess. Doors striped, and a repair kits on order. Local VW/Seat dealer wanted €200 to do it, and refused to reseal the ancil carrier plate. Said the old one would be fine. May be Austrian Leons and Tolly's don't leak like everyone elses.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.