Thieves breaking into cars for their Stereo chip. Question.

hewittinspain

May 27, 2017
A lad at work owns a 2012 plate VW Scirocco and recently had his window smashed and the Infotainment stereo was taken because of some chip it has that can be used to get free sky tv channels. Personally this is all new to me but I was wondering which stereos were being targetted and on which brands of cars? With the Seat using some of the same components as the VW I was wondering if the Seat was a target too. I tried to google all of this but it only mentioned VW, Audi, Skoda and Ford's. I own a 64 Plate Leon FR. It's a potential cause for concern for me because I park my car in the same car park at work.

Reactions: dw911

Big Col

Nov 5, 2013
North Ayrshire
AFAIK this affects VW's with the upgraded infotainment system

The upgraded ones have a different aerial - shark fin? - so are easily identified.

Never heard of Leons being affected.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
I have to ask, what is this chip and how do they use it for free satellite channels, purely out of interest.

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
A lad at work owns a 2012 plate VW Scirocco and recently had his window smashed and the Infotainment stereo was taken because of some chip it has that can be used to get free sky tv channels. Personally this is all new to me but I was wondering which stereos were being targetted and on which brands of cars? With the Seat using some of the same components as the VW I was wondering if the Seat was a target too. I tried to google all of this but it only mentioned VW, Audi, Skoda and Ford's. I own a 64 Plate Leon FR. It's a potential cause for concern for me because I park my car in the same car park at work.

The VW Scirocco chips won't work for getting the free sky
Only Seat Leon chips are guaranteed to get you free sky, has to be from a 64 plate FR though or they won't work;)

But seriously, don't loose any sleep over it, its just a years old urban myth, there was a spate of thefts of Ford 5000 series stereos for the same reason, a bullshit rumour about their chips giving you free sky lmao:roflmao: