Thoughts on the ST?

spib

Apr 22, 2007
Nottingham, UK
Hi,

I've currently got an 07 FR TDI (170) which I've owned from new and I'm in the market for an estate. Went and looked at the Leon FR ST today in the showroom and although I don't really like the new shape I was pleasantly surprised with the size and spec of it.

Any opinions either way about them?

The other cars on my shortlist are the usual A4 & 3 series but the leons are very well specced for the price

Thanks

James

gartner

Oct 25, 2014
Hi,

I've currently got an 07 FR TDI (170) which I've owned from new and I'm in the market for an estate. Went and looked at the Leon FR ST today in the showroom and although I don't really like the new shape I was pleasantly surprised with the size and spec of it.

Any opinions either way about them?

The other cars on my shortlist are the usual A4 & 3 series but the leons are very well specced for the price

Thanks

James

I think that the Leon is completely out of Bimmer's and Audi's league if you are willing to spend a lot of money.
But if you are considering a fully equipped Leon vs a barebone 3 series or an A4...than I think maybe the Leon is the better choise. Nothing worse than a Dacia Logan style equiped Bimmer.

I'm presuming you're buying a new car, not a used one.

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Drove the ST out in Barcelona earlier in the year (Few different models like 1.8T, 2.0TDI 184 etc) and I was very surprised by how it actually handles, handles like a normal ST or 5-Door.

When the Cupra 280 ST comes out my Cupra 280 SC might get chopped in.

neil_f225

Mar 14, 2005
I came from a 2010 petrol octavia vrs to an fr184 st. Must admit I think it handles well and is a lot more refined than the octavia. Thought I would miss the performance of the octavia (it was remapped as well) but pleasantly suprised with how the Leon performs . An a4 or 3 series doesn't have as much space as the leon. Boot is a lot smaller than the audi or bmw. Bmw will drive better but depends what your needs are. Personally I bought the estate for the space so why buy an estate car that has a smaller boot than some hatchbacks? .

spib

Apr 22, 2007
Nottingham, UK
I came from a 2010 petrol octavia vrs to an fr184 st. Must admit I think it handles well and is a lot more refined than the octavia. Thought I would miss the performance of the octavia (it was remapped as well) but pleasantly suprised with how the Leon performs . An a4 or 3 series doesn't have as much space as the leon. Boot is a lot smaller than the audi or bmw. Bmw will drive better but depends what your needs are. Personally I bought the estate for the space so why buy an estate car that has a smaller boot than some hatchbacks? .

Are you saying the boot on the Leon is small or on the Audi/BMW? In my head I had the boot sizes as Octavia (largest), then Leon, then Audi / BMW?

spib

Apr 22, 2007
Nottingham, UK
I think that the Leon is completely out of Bimmer's and Audi's league if you are willing to spend a lot of money.
But if you are considering a fully equipped Leon vs a barebone 3 series or an A4...than I think maybe the Leon is the better choise. Nothing worse than a Dacia Logan style equiped Bimmer.

I'm presuming you're buying a new car, not a used one.

Yeah, looking at a new one. In terms of trim, if I had a BMW it would be M-Sport and Audi would be the SLine or Black Edition. So similar spec on all of them, but about £10K difference in RRP between the Leon and the BMW.

The Audi & BMW feel like really high quality products but in my head I just keeping thinking how cheap the Leon is in comparison. And I really like Seats too - I've had my Leon FR for 7 years from new and still love it.

I think I better just take them all out for a test drive and see which one feels the best to drive

neil_f225

Mar 14, 2005
Are you saying the boot on the Leon is small or on the Audi/BMW? In my head I had the boot sizes as Octavia (largest), then Leon, then Audi / BMW?

Yeah your right in the order of boot size. Octavia is not much bigger but you'll certainly notice a difference with the audi and bmw. Audi and bmw are certainly a more premium product which is reflective on price. If your looking for a new one its worth trying brokers. I managed to get it down to £21.5k for a new st fr184 with panaromic roof and seat sound. Uk car and you deal direct with the dealer . Only downside is they wont part ex your old car. Was quoted 12week order time. Ended up buying a 6 month old car with more spec and a couple grand cheaper.

andrewpain

Jul 5, 2014
Meppershall Beds.
went the same way as Neil - mine was a showroom car with only 7 miles and 3k off list.
and a Leon ST is a good car - goes really well, handles well, nice gearchange, very nice spec, spacious enough.
And I think it's a nice-looking car, especially compared with the Octavia variant. More of a coupe back than a typical cliff-like estate.
far better buy than the equivalent Audi or BM. The BM may possibly drive better, or not, with those runflat tyres.
The audi? don't like the ride, but a nice place to sit.
But the cost of them....however you look at it - what you get for your money with the Leon ST is better value.
go on - you know you want to...

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
I have a Leon and a 3 series brought from new.

Big difference? £10,000. Other differences all better in BM: trim, solidity, handling, dealers, sat nav. Better in Seat: economy, fun, tech (moves on quickly in 2 years) and £10,000.

So for town and short distances it's the seat and for the long haul it's the bm.

neil_f225

Mar 14, 2005
Originally I was looking at new leon st/octavia vrs estate or used 330d touring. The leon represents fantastic value for money and more space than the bmw. Bmw drives far better especially with the 6 cylinder diesel!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members