Timing Belt Madness

oxide32

i will be sure to post my findings on this darn engine mount problem, its a shame this one problem is all that is stopping this belt change being a very easy little job all in all. compared to other cars there are actually no locking tools involved etc and the belt change is simple. once the bracket removal is sussed i think we will all breath easier.

oxide32

hi all, quick update! started on the car today and have discovered that if the engine is jacked RIGHT up the last engine bracket bolt can be reached with an offset spanner, no need to remove the bolt it can stay inside the bracket where it does no harm after its fully undone! also if you take ALL the bolts out of the water pump then the pump body can be rotated and the engine bracket drops down well out of the way so all the adjusters and pulleys can be easily accessed. i do suppose that the bracket can be removed with a little extra work from the bottom of the engine but trust me (there is no need). ive just got to finish up the job tommorow as all i have left is the belt to feed onto the pulleys and it all goes back together in reverse order :)

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
I bet you wish you had the engine bay of a golf though lol. I remember the sharan I was working on and most of the engine was right back under the windscreen, I had to take out loads of things and do some weird yoga to find the timing mark on the flywheel.

oxide32

after today i wished it was any other engine bay except the alhambra lol :) luckily i dont need the flywheel marks mate! just the top and bottom pulley marks phew....

oxide32

thanks to all who commented!! it was very nerve racking jacking that engine right up :) but i could see no other physical way, i raised it up until i could get the offset spanner on the head of the bolt and that was enough for me. the timing belt is now changed and the water pump is now a metal impellor one rather that plastic. i hope other people see this thread and maybe i can help them in return. thanks again all. :))

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members