Tinted windows - insurance

Stiglet

Feb 12, 2010
Surrey
hmmmm ive just had mine done and said nothing as its just cosmetic, as for seeing out of them, ive got a 65% tint and you can see just fine, infact i can see better as there is no dazzle !! tints come as standard on lots of cars these days so i dont see it making much difference. i mean they dont make ya car go faster .... do they ?

JR750

Jul 18, 2009
All round tints, but darker at the back and a light tint at the front. I'll have a word with AdrianFlux just in case.

LEMSTER

I tolled mine about my back 3 windows and the insurance went up by like £3.

Stiglet

Feb 12, 2010
Surrey
I didn't say you can't see. I said it affects it. You can still "see", but can you see exactly as well as you could before the tints? Obviously not, because if you could, that would mean the tints hadn't actually done anything.

And it's not just about what makes your car go faster, it's about what makes your car (or you as a driver) more of a risk. Changing the 323mm Brembos off a Leon Cupra R for the 256ish mm brakes from a 1.4 is perfectly possible, and doesn't make your car go faster. But it makes it more of a risk, so your insurance company would definitely have something to say about it.[/QUOTE

calm down :p i was just saying. as for seeing if i take me glasses off i cant see jack hehe:rolleyes: i know what you mean but to be honest with my tint there is not much of a difference just slightly darker, but i am going to phone swift cover tomorrow just to make sure. dam these pesky insurance companys :censored:

NickyJam

FR - gone, not forgotten
Mar 17, 2008
SW LONDON
it shouldn't affect your insurance unless you tint the fronts (although that is illegal by law)...so is the main reason why most people don't bother informing their insurance.

on the whole it makes your car less attractive to thieves as the tint makes it slightly more difficult to smash through the glass ;) that's my theory anyway lol but yes going too dark is more risky, especially with poorer visibility during the dark evenings

Stiglet

Feb 12, 2010
Surrey
just a quick update. spoke to swift cover and that said that it was an acceptable mod and thanks for letting them know but its fine and no extra to pay. If it had been the fronts though my insurance would have been invalid !!

garethpitt18

Bass-Head
Feb 6, 2008
Newport, South Wales
I told my insurance as I have the back 3 done about 65% and because it's a 3rd party modification I have to now pay an extra £8 a month. Tried to argue the fact that cars are built with tints these days but they weren't having any of it. :mad:

JR750

Jul 18, 2009
I sometimes get headaches on long journeys when it's sunny like today, am I right in saying that tinting the front windows slightly can help prevent this by reducing the glare & heat coming in?

If it does, then I'd want to slightly tint the front windows too. A slight tint at the front and then a slightly darker tint at the back.

Stiglet

Feb 12, 2010
Surrey
I told my insurance as I have the back 3 done about 65% and because it's a 3rd party modification I have to now pay an extra £8 a month. Tried to argue the fact that cars are built with tints these days but they weren't having any of it. :mad:

god what crap insurance company are you with ? [:@] tints are a totally acceptable mod and your right lots of cars come with tints on back 3 as standard these days.. but i guess thats standard equipment they will argue. 8 quid a month is a joke really. id totally look for a new company when renew time comes along!!!

garethpitt18

Bass-Head
Feb 6, 2008
Newport, South Wales
I'm with admiral.. I will be looking for a new quote when the time comes coz i thought it was a bit silly. It's classed as a modification as I got a 3rd party to do it so that's why I'm being charged however my mate has the same car and windows tinted and he got £100 off his insurance coz it's a security measure to hide his sound system. :mad: was gunna ring and tell them this but knowing my luck they will knock the price off the tints but charge me even more for my sound system!! Lol