Toledo Water Leak

chronyx

Hi all,

Lovely subject for a first post...:rolleyes:

I have just taken the pollen filter out of my Toledo, and although being very dirty, it's not damp.

Those of you who have had the problem - was your pollen filter damp?

My car only seems to leak in the passenger side, and I have noticed in the service history that it had a new windscreen.

It's not the doors as I saw water drip down from the shelf under the glove box during the storms we had a few months ago. The water seems to be coming from the very back right of the passenger footwell. It's dripping from some polystyrene type material. I couldn't see any coming from the passeger footwell heater vent.

Water is 'pooling' somewhere as half an hour later there was a puddle on the carpet where it had continued to drip.
Has anyone seen this before? Any advice appreciated.

mike12

i would get the windsreen checked what you could do is put a hose on over the screen and see if it leaks in i would check my scuttle drain holes check the pllen fiter housing i would also check to see if you door seals had been modified by that i mean that a liitle bit of rubber had been cut away by the drain holes of the door all round

chronyx

Cheers Mike.

I took the plastic off from underneath the wipers and couldn't see anything obvious there.

How do you check the pollen filter housing itself?

mike12

by checking the pollen filter i ment were the housing sits on the scuttle make sure it's not loose and the foam it sits on is not damp on the inside of the heater hox you would need to check that with the pollen filter removed

chronyx

Thanks Mike - It didn't seem loose; I thought that was the foam you meant and it wasn't wet yesterday.

Bloody car!

mike12

defo check your screen and i would be checking the door seas like i said

SJFISHER67

Are you talkin' to me?
Sometimes water can leak under the black plastic tray that holds the pollen filter in place. It is sealed with that cheap foam stuff too, had one out in my old Leon about 4 years ago now, and silicone sealed under it, stopped my leak in that area.

Bit of a pig to get out tho, just make sure you have some good tools that can get into confined areas.

Hope this helps, as one avenue to stop your leak.

PureKLAS

Leak further down by the passenger side, is it coming through where you may have a sprogget missing?

Is it a 1l toledo, i ave a leak in the passenger side, seem to come from the top of the passenger door.. might be a blockage in my pillar, will investigate on a dry day, and let you know

dingsdale

I'd put money on it being the door seals - pop the door card off on the side it's leaking on and have a look at the rubber sear around the black metal plate that holds all the window gubbins in place.
I'm betting it will be deteriorated around the bottom - a bit of silicone sealant will sort it out

PureKLAS

will give that a try dingsdale, out of interest how much money you putting on it? ;)

chronyx

Sometimes water can leak under the black plastic tray that holds the pollen filter in place. It is sealed with that cheap foam stuff too, had one out in my old Leon about 4 years ago now, and silicone sealed under it, stopped my leak in that area.

Bit of a pig to get out tho, just make sure you have some good tools that can get into confined areas.

Hope this helps, as one avenue to stop your leak.

Did you take any pics? I had the scuttle panel and wipers off, but I have no idea how you'd get the housing out as it's tucked away under metal!

SJFISHER67

Are you talkin' to me?
Unfortunately I didnt take any pics, as this was about 4 years or so ago now. All I remember is that the housing has 3 nuts holding it in place. Two are relatively easy to get to, the second required a flexi ratchet to get to as it is under the top of the front wing. Then (from memory) slide it right a little then pull it up and its out.

When out you will see a square of sealing foam which is how the water gets behind it, its the same crap they used in the door seals originally. I gunked mine up with loads of silicone and put it back in place, the only problem was my car smelt of silicone for a few days after, but no more leaks from that area.

Hope this helps.

chronyx

Just for reference:

If anyone gets a pollen filter housing leak, you could ******** around with silicone, trying to seal the old one, OR you could just buy a new housing for £15 that stops the leak.

Silicon is scary stuff to try and take apart - It had gone like glue, I had to rip the old housing out with brute force, and thought I would pull a load of paint up with it.

If it's your housing at fault, do yourself a favour, and just buy a new one. It's not expensive, and it actually works.

I think the new one was slightly different - the old one had 4 'tabs' on the bottomthat didn't really do anything - the new one was flat on the bottom. That was the most obvious difference. The SEAT part number is C1J2819640A and I paid a staggering £9.60, looking at the invoice - no VAT for some reason!

mcmanley

Hi I had the same on my v5, water leaking and misting up, i checked the pollen filter it was wet and dirty, but the top cover was coming apart, i sealed it with sealant, i also noticed the sides of the top cover where bending inwards, it had not been fitted correctly allowing water to ingress, quick clean up and refit, all sorted, checked with hose no more leaks, and to cap a good day no more misting so air con not needed, fuel economy better.

chronyx

Hey mcmanley, thanks for that.

Mine still seems to leak, so I'm going to look into the air con drain pipe, and after that just give up I think.

In the past I've thrown buckets of water over it, jetwashed it, poured buckets right into the vents at the front - nothing.

Took it out the other day as it's been sat for a while and there are some trickles on the floor. :rolleyes:

The only thing to try is to remove the silicon that's still on the chassis but I can't think how that would cause a leak.

funkyduck

also try.....

When I was trying to trace my leak here's how I found out where it was.

First I took all the seats and carpets out and removed all the door trim.

I then made sure the car was as dry as I could get it.

Then using cheap talcum powder I covered the floor and the bottom of the doors. (I dare not use the missus' expensive stuff!)

I then asked the missus to sit in the car while I dowsed it in water.

When the water comes in, and it will, you can see the trail it leaves in the talcum powder so you can trace it back to source. It also gets rid of the damp smell you have in the car. There is no real need to hoover it out again afterwards as the powder does a great job of trapping any smells. Just make sure the police never have to pull you over for a strange white powder......

Like so many others on this forum my leak turned out to be the black inner door cards, but every bolt and card got siliconed back in and fingers crossed I've had no leak since.

Hope this helps.

Paul

chronyx

Cheers dude :D How easy was it to remove the seats and carpet? I've been trying to work up the courage to do it for some time!

funkyduck

The seats were the easy bit.....

Disconnect the battery first!
Pull the seats all the way forward, using a screwdriver remove the plastic covers from the seat rails behind the seats.
Push the seats all the way back. Under the front of the seat in the middle there are two bolts undo these. Then slide the seat forward slightly then slide all the way back and the clip chould give way and the seat should be free from the front mount. Tilt back and remove the airbag cables (if you have them). The seats will slide all the way back and lift out of the rails.

The back seats tilt the base forward and then push the two clips together and they will just lift out.

To remove the carpet you will need to remove the trim around the edges, ie around the bottom of the doors and foot wells. If you want to remove it fully you will need to remove the centre console, however you can just prop it up to dry it out. The sound proofing is joined under the dash area, I took a stanley knife to mine to get it out. There is enough strength in the material to allow it to go back ok afterwards.

I would recommend you allow most of the weekend to do this. It took me that long the first time. Tracking it down 6 months later when I finally fixed the leak only took me half a day in total.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.