Tracking a Mk 2 Leon Cupra

Russc

Oct 23, 2003
Kent
Visit site
Can`t believe i`ve been on these forums for 17 years!

Finally thinking of tracking my mk2 cupra. I`ve got a mx5 that i track at the moment but thinking of giving it up as i only do occasional days and track the cupra instead. It might also mean i spend less time using the indicators on track days as well.

Anyone track theirs and know what the issues might be running it as standard. I`m thinking of mainly overheating. I`d change the brake fluid to get the best out of the brembos.

I`m not looking to spend shed loads as it would only be a couple of days a year but equally don`t want to take it on track and blow it up!

Ta

Russ

CupraAaron

May 29, 2020
Can`t believe i`ve been on these forums for 17 years!

Finally thinking of tracking my mk2 cupra. I`ve got a mx5 that i track at the moment but thinking of giving it up as i only do occasional days and track the cupra instead. It might also mean i spend less time using the indicators on track days as well.

Anyone track theirs and know what the issues might be running it as standard. I`m thinking of mainly overheating. I`d change the brake fluid to get the best out of the brembos.

I`m not looking to spend shed loads as it would only be a couple of days a year but equally don`t want to take it on track and blow it up!

Ta

Russ
Hi Russ, did you ever get any advice on this (from other sources)? I've got a stage 1 Cupra with a few other mods and it goes like a rocket, so I'd love to see how it performs on track. It would make a nice change to actually overtake people as opposed to the majority of track traffic roaring past me whilst I'm in my MX-5 😅

Kuski

Aug 13, 2020
Just tracked my 07 cupra last weekend. It was really fun.
I have stage 1 tune and everything else is stock. I did not have any problems, except me left front wheel bolts did get loose at the end of the day.

I did notice small drop in power after few laps, probably becauce of the heating. Nothing majore afterall.

Thinkin about participating to TimeAttack "club" series.

Reactions: 300bhpdaily

CupraAaron

May 29, 2020
Just tracked my 07 cupra last weekend. It was really fun.
I have stage 1 tune and everything else is stock. I did not have any problems, except me left front wheel bolts did get loose at the end of the day.

I did notice small drop in power after few laps, probably becauce of the heating. Nothing majore afterall.

Thinkin about participating to TimeAttack "club" series.
That's good to hear Kuski. I've had a fair bit done to mine, but there are still mods I can do if wanted. I reckon I've probably got enough to do a track day with no issues, though.

Reactions: 300bhpdaily

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020
That's good to hear Kuski. I've had a fair bit done to mine, but there are still mods I can do if wanted. I reckon I've probably got enough to do a track day with no issues, though.
I’m thinking the same with mine I’ve done the basics am booked at trax for afew track sessions and will be the first time I’ve ever taken this car to track hoping it goes smoothly. lol 😂 touch wood it’ll be fine. If not I’ll probably brake it for parts and go back to my actual track car which is a Ibiza cupra 6L

Kuski

Aug 13, 2020
Today I drove 20 laps at @kymiring and had some unwanted issues. The "red oil light" blinked few times at lap 20, and after that I decided to quit. Engine just had oils changed and oil level was fine. Now I wonder what could have caused the blinking problem??

Second problem was with the brakes. Pedal started to drop quit low and i noticed that outer front pads didn't wear evenly, thats weird to. I have new pads and racing fluid just changed.

Any tips for me??

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020
Hi mate you’ve pretty much done the right things fresh oil and brake fluid. Did you change the oil pick up or has it ever been done since you’ve owned it? Thinking the red oil light maybe oil pressure related? But that is a assumption if it was my car that’s what I’d think.

Kuski

Aug 13, 2020
Hi mate you’ve pretty much done the right things fresh oil and brake fluid. Did you change the oil pick up or has it ever been done since you’ve owned it? Thinking the red oil light maybe oil pressure related? But that is a assumption if it was my car that’s what I’d think.
I actually checked the oil pickup this spring, it was perfectly clean. I did add oil additive that has cleaning propertie this week when i changed the oil. In theory it could have dissolved some dirt back to circulation that has blocked the pickup pipe