Tracking Cupra 280

forge197

SE>FR>CUPRA
May 14, 2002
UK
Visit site
We currently have a Mk3 FR and am considering the 280 to replace it and another car.

Am likely to do a couple of track days maybe 4 or so a year, wonder if anyone had taken the 280 on track yet and how was it and which track.

From what I've read it's probably a better track car then the Golf R, I'd look at the Megane but I would rather have the VAG car and the Cupra has the DCC and VAQ.

Would be our third Leon MK3 1.2 TSI > 2.0 FR > Cupra 280 :) We've been really impressed with the new Leon!!

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Been around Mallory Park in one (not my one) and been driven around Mallory Park in one by Jordi Gene, in the wet and at stupid speeds that no normal person would do in the wet

So yeh its more than capable for a normal person to take on track.

seatturbopower

Aug 1, 2012
birmingham
I was a Rockingham raceway today and seen a mk3 seemed to be pretty quick though, my mk1 was pretty good on the track, I was quite suspired myself in how it handled

forge197

SE>FR>CUPRA
May 14, 2002
UK
Visit site
I was a Rockingham raceway today and seen a mk3 seemed to be pretty quick though, my mk1 was pretty good on the track, I was quite suspired myself in how it handled

Surprised in a good way I hope :) Sounds like it will be worth a test drive just been out and seen a couple sitting at dealers, dynamic grey, red, black and white which is almost the full pallette, think some were ready for the 64 plate so some lucky owners in a few days time.

seatturbopower

Aug 1, 2012
birmingham
Surprised in a good way I hope :) Sounds like it will be worth a test drive just been out and seen a couple sitting at dealers, dynamic grey, red, black and white which is almost the full pallette, think some were ready for the 64 plate so some lucky owners in a few days time.

yes surprised in a good was of course, there was a 3 2.8 behind us that was on my tail but still didn't pass me, there was a Clio 182 in front that was about the same, but with the Clio being able to handle better on the corners it had the upper hand on me.
the brakes were good as well but I read up that the mk3 have some 370mm front disc that's some stopping power.
But Rockingham was a good spot to drive check it out.£145 for the day and £65 worth of petrol oct 99 in the whole day I used up about 3/4.
20-25 laps complete as well so Id used about just under half a tank.:)
seat to do a seat leon cupra r mk3 on its way.............would be good:funk:

forge197

SE>FR>CUPRA
May 14, 2002
UK
Visit site
Thanks that's a good mini write up, I had a Clio 182 they are pretty handy in the corners, have a GT86 at the moment for track duties great in the corners lacking the power on the exit, don't really want to head down the forced induction route, which kind of bought me around to the 280 with it's trick diff and decent pace, then mrsforge can use as here daily and I can use it for the odd track day, sounds like it might just tick those boxes.

Drove one today now need to just sort a deal out and sell a couple of cars!!

forge197

SE>FR>CUPRA
May 14, 2002
UK
Visit site
That's why the sub 8 package includes uprated brakes that don't fade, as used on the FWD ring record car, that the Cupra 280 still holds for cars with 5 seats.:D:D:D

What's is the difference in brakes between sub 8 and standard, was the weak point on my MINI and GT86 I've tracked in the past, just changing to grooved discs and better pads helped the GT no end with pedal feel and confidence ultimately.

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
What's is the difference in brakes between sub 8 and standard, was the weak point on my MINI and GT86 I've tracked in the past, just changing to grooved discs and better pads helped the GT no end with pedal feel and confidence ultimately.

Standard are 1pot with 345mm discs
Sub8 are 4 pot with 370mm 2 piece discs

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Probably eventually for a very large price though! The MK2 Cupra had a Brembo option that was discontinued very quickly because it was very expensive.

I've got a Brembo 4 pot kit that I had fitted to my MK2 LCR which is going on my Cupra 280 eventually.

forge197

SE>FR>CUPRA
May 14, 2002
UK
Visit site
Probably eventually for a very large price though! The MK2 Cupra had a Brembo option that was discontinued very quickly because it was very expensive.

I've got a Brembo 4 pot kit that I had fitted to my MK2 LCR which is going on my Cupra 280 eventually.

No doubt, will see how they ago and if the standard lack bite of fade, if fade probably do braided hoses first will see how they go first.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.