Tracking Cupra 280

simonali

Apr 3, 2014
Wiltshire
The track is probably the best place for the Cupra, as it ain't very good at fast road work. It lifts off the floor if you hit any bumps in the road because of stiff springs and poor damping, plus the headlights are pants, so making progress at night is also difficult. I'm really starting to kick myself for going for the best value/best looking car, rather than the best car i.e. the Golf...

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Best car in what way?

I've done some hard road driving in mine already and love it, it eats up everything you can throw at it, its alot better on the road than the MK2 LCR

simonali

Apr 3, 2014
Wiltshire
Best all rounder. I'll bet a pound to a pinch of sh!t that the Golf doesn't go all floaty or leave the floor on a bumpy NSL road and that its xenons pee all over the Leon's LEDs. Just glad I got an auto now, coz all this car is good for is wafting about in Comfort mode on the roads round where I live.

:(

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Equivalent Golf will handle the same.. Same suspension... Same MQB chassis.

Had a MK2 FR TDI with HID's and then a MK2 LCR with Xenon's and I don't have an issue with the LED lights find them good actually.

Last edited:

forge197

SE>FR>CUPRA
May 14, 2002
UK
Visit site
Have the LED's on current Leon, and previous Leon, been very good in all conditions, granted there not up there with the lights on my Macan but they are certainly better than the Xenon from our MINI's and HIDs in other cars.

Can't comment on the suspension setup for road use, certainly don't have that I the FR though the 280 is quite a different setup, and differing spring rates and dampers of course. Our test drive route took in some NSL and the ride and how it handled was commendable, though living with it is where the foibles come out. Look forward to trying outs on some local known roads and see.

Cars are not one size fits all, over many years of motoring think we've had almost 60 different cars and some have been moved on as they just don't hit the mark or meet the expectation, if they don't change it, if they do enjoy it.

simonali

Apr 3, 2014
Wiltshire
Equivalent Golf will handle the same.. Same suspension... Same MQB chassis.

So you're saying the dampers are exactly the same and the spring rates are exactly the same? I don't believe it. The last Leon Cupra was based on the same chassis as the Golf, too, but it didn't ride, steer or handle like a Golf, did it? No, the Golf was comfortable and stayed attached the tarmac and the Leon was hard, crashy and had a spine crushing ride. They were not the same.

I like the Cupra, but I'll never grow to love it, it has too many flaws. In a few months I'll be putting my winter wheels on, which are 18s, so I'll see how it rides with slightly taller tyres on. If it's any better, then I'll look for another set for the summer months.

simonali

Apr 3, 2014
Wiltshire
They're pretty horrid looking, though! I'm hoping a bit more give in the tyre might help on the bumpy bits because I sometimes feel like I'm gonna be spat off the road, what with the torque steer, bumpy ride, the diff changing your line and a fair bit of wheelspin all fighting the driver's attempts at progress. I genuinely thought I wouldn't miss all wheel drive with all the gizmos this car has, but they just don't work in my opinion.

simonali

Apr 3, 2014
Wiltshire
Had a Golf R32 before and have had the Cupra 2 months today. Starting to explore the performance more now and it really does need the right bit of road to shine in my eyes. Needs to be smooth tarmac with very little camber or the car is all over the shop.

Mar 13, 2011
Have you tried adjusting tyre pressures at all? I'm quite surprised by your comments as, having now done enough long run mileage to get a proper feel, the ride and handling are what impresses me most about the car. I always thought 18 inch wheels would have been a better choice on our bumpy UK roads though.

Ours has the auto high / low beam and it works great. Headlights on low beam are adequate, but as soon as you need them the car automatically flicks to high beam and I can't imagine how anything could light up the road better. Driving from Poole up to the M4 at bath late at night, unlit A road all the way, I didn't need to touch the headlight stalk once. Those are unfamiliar roads to me and I found I had no problem pressing on (where possible, lots of speed limits) in the pitch black.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Snah

Jul 7, 2014
Netherlands
Did a 400 mile trip last weekend through the Eiffel near the Nurnburgring with tight turns, roads with all kinds of surfaces from bad to very good but can't confirm torque steer or bad ride. On the contrary it behaved beyond expectations coming from a lowered chipped 2010 Fr-Tdi CR. My opinion is that it is amazing what Seat has pulled off.
Even a novice (I am not: due to years of activity in karting and autosport) can drive it fast, that good it is.
I did testdrive the G7R before getting the Cupra and handling was less good (light understeer and less precise in steering) but offered same ride in all 3 modes similar to the Cupra.
Nothing to gain there if you expected that.

Last edited:

simonali

Apr 3, 2014
Wiltshire
Tyre pressures are set as per the fuel flap (36F/32R, I recall?). Maybe I'm just expecting more than the car is capable of and need to take it easier? I definitely can't drive it as hard as my old Golf without the feeling that a big accident is about to happen, though, the Golf felt a lot more planted.

Mar 13, 2011
Tyre pressures are set as per the fuel flap (36F/32R, I recall?). Maybe I'm just expecting more than the car is capable of and need to take it easier? I definitely can't drive it as hard as my old Golf without the feeling that a big accident is about to happen, though, the Golf felt a lot more planted.
4wd v fwd difference in feel maybe? Dunno, as I've never owned a haldex, though I was tempted this time around. The 280 feels very planted to me, though I do agree on the tyre comment, never have liked bridgestones.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
4WD will feel alot less ... all over the place.

I can drive my 280 hard and it feels alot more stable than my old MK2 LCR Stage2+

simonali

Apr 3, 2014
Wiltshire
The car I had before the Golf was FWD, but it was Renaultsport Clio, so it handled like a little race car. The Leon is just so edgy in comparison to those last two cars, it's a real white knuckle ride!

betty_swollox

Richie
Feb 15, 2011
Washington

Is it with 19s???

Had a Golf R32 before and have had the Cupra 2 months today. Starting to explore the performance more now and it really does need the right bit of road to shine in my eyes. Needs to be smooth tarmac with very little camber or the car is all over the shop.

So you're saying the dampers are exactly the same and the spring rates are exactly the same? I don't believe it. The last Leon Cupra was based on the same chassis as the Golf, too, but it didn't ride, steer or handle like a Golf, did it? No, the Golf was comfortable and stayed attached the tarmac and the Leon was hard, crashy and had a spine crushing ride. They were not the same.

I like the Cupra, but I'll never grow to love it, it has too many flaws. In a few months I'll be putting my winter wheels on, which are 18s, so I'll see how it rides with slightly taller tyres on. If it's any better, then I'll look for another set for the summer months.

The pre FL was more harsh than the FL Leon. What reg leon/golf did you drive?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.