Transmission whine / Gearbox oil ?

TDI_luver

Jul 11, 2006
Ireland
I've recently noticed a bit of a final drive/diff whine starting to develop at cruising speeds in my '06 Toledo Tdi, 75K miles (Manual 5 speed) transmission. I'm putting this down to normal wear and tear, as the car hasn't had a hard life, but in any previous car that I've owned I have changed the gear oil at between 80-90K and it has improved the quality of the gear change / bearing noise greatly.

Now I'm thinking of doing the same for the Tolly, even though VW/SEAT saying that there is no need to touch the gear oil - that it is 'sealed for life' etc.....I've seen the stuff that comes out of previous VW gearboxes at 80K+ and its nothing like good oil.

Can anyone tell me what the correct grad of gear oil is for this gear box - I am guessing an 80W/90 , non-ep oil ? I read somewhere not to use a GL5 oil, as this corrodes the (VW) bronze synchro rings, but to stick with a GL4 instead ?

Can anyone shed some light here ? Or is a special 'dealer only' oil ?
Any additives worth putting in with the oil to help an aging gearbox ?

Thanks for any suggestions or advice !

conkerman

Oct 18, 2006
Do you have a handbook for the car??

If not I can look in mine tonight.

COnks

TDI_luver

Jul 11, 2006
Ireland
Hi,
Yes I have the handbook, Gearbox oil is not mentioned - it seems to be a mythical topic for SEAT/VW, along the lines of 'you will never need to change it, so you dont need to know what grade it is'....

conkerman

Oct 18, 2006
I wonder what happens when you change a driveshaft??

You would certainly need to top up the oil then.....

Have a post in the dealer section, they may be able to help.

COnks

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
accoding to elsa it has either an HNV, JCX or FNE gearbox.

Etka goes a very long way a round for finding the correct oil then only gives a part number: 0A4 300 044 S (FOR HNV) or 0A4 300 045 F (FOR JCX).

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
I have no data on those gearboxes, but the note I've read for slightly older boxes warns:

* There is a new mineral gear oil API GL4 SAE 75W (Hypoid) in accordance with TL 726 /Y. This type of oil can only be used in gearboxes where it is specified and must never be used in gearboxes that incorporate the previous oil API GL4 SAE 75W90 (Synthetic, high performance)
* Due to the incompatibility between these types of oils, they must never be mixed as they change the properties of the lubricant.

Now, as these boxes are newer than mine, it's likely that they were filled with API GL4 SAE 75W (Hypoid) in the factory, so that's the type of oil you should be looking for.

TDI_luver

Jul 11, 2006
Ireland
Thanks for the help so far guys.

I have checked the sticker thats on the inside of my service book, and i cant see a code for the gearbox, only the engine code which is BJB.

i'll try to see if i can see a code stamped or cast onto the gearbox.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Aha. BJB is the 105 hp PD engine. This is a Mk.3 Toledo, isn't it? Well, being a 2006 car it would have to be really...

You're right about a GL4 oil, and I'd go with specification G 052 726 A2 SAE 75W, the non-synthetic oil, which is certainly correct for GQQ boxes. However someone with current knowledge might be along soon who can give you an up to date view.

Here's a sample of the service sticker from the web (not my car, I couldn't afford to fill a Phaeton with fuel!) showing what some of the entries mean

Build_Sticker_Sample_MM.jpg

On the actual gearbox, the code should be found next to the selector spindles, where the cables/rods from the gearstick end up.

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.