TSI Engines special care?

xOchoa

May 19, 2014
Guadalajara, JAL, MX
Hi Guys,

Some friends of mine have told me that I need to idle the engine whenever I arrive to my destination in order to avoid oil to get stucked on the turbo, I've been reading about and found some advices which told so, and others which told that it's not needed, as this is my first turbo car, a 2014 Leon SC FR 1.4 with 140 HP I don't really want to screw the engine or anything, do you know if that's true or it's a legacy recomendation because which applies to older engines?

Chopsy

May 28, 2014
I'm pretty sure that the parameters of the start stop will prevent the engine stopping if temps are too high.
A lot of cars these days have electric pumps to keep fluids moving when engine stops to enable cooling. Not sure what is fitted to Leon's.

xOchoa

May 19, 2014
Guadalajara, JAL, MX
Totally simonali, that's what I'm doing, but my doubt get bigger the other day when I saw an S3 owner, waiting a couple of minutes on a parking and then turn the car down.

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Hi Guys,

Some friends of mine have told me that I need to idle the engine whenever I arrive to my destination in order to avoid oil to get stucked on the turbo, I've been reading about and found some advices which told so, and others which told that it's not needed, as this is my first turbo car, a 2014 Leon SC FR 1.4 with 140 HP I don't really want to screw the engine or anything, do you know if that's true or it's a legacy recomendation because which applies to older engines?

It is true to a certain extent, the new Cupra has it in the handbook, that if you have been giving it stick for a prolonged period, that you should idle it for 2 mins before switching off. It is just the same as my Biza twincharger, nothing new, ignore it at your peril.:)

xOchoa

May 19, 2014
Guadalajara, JAL, MX
It is true to a certain extent, the new Cupra has it in the handbook, that if you have been giving it stick for a prolonged period, that you should idle it for 2 mins before switching off. It is just the same as my Biza twincharger, nothing new, ignore it at your peril.:)

:O Thanks! Seastormer, that's what I have been doing, I'll keep it up.

NBSmith78

Sep 20, 2004
Cambridge
Yes you should, in some situations. See page 146 of the manual (here) which says:

CAUTION
If the engine has been running under high load for a long time, there is a risk of heat building up in the engine compartment after the engine has been switched off; this could cause engine damage. For this reason, you should idle the engine for approx. 2 minutes before you switch it off.​

However I'd be inclined to just take it easy for the last few minutes of your journey to save yourself the hassle of leaving the car idling for 2 mins.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2011
And still end up with a rougher car, run it in man.

Somewhat of a religious argument this one and I don't personally agree with your view. You will find opinions in both camps with some (myself included) advocating a modern engine will run better if thrashed from day one. Do whatever you think is right though.

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Somewhat of a religious argument this one and I don't personally agree with your view. You will find opinions in both camps with some (myself included) advocating a modern engine will run better if thrashed from day one. Do whatever you think is right though.

I have driven back to back many SEATs, my ones run in and demo cars well thrashed, and I can tell you there is a big diff. Also both my sales guy and the service manager always said my cars were smoother, faster etc compared to their demo cars.:D:D:D

-=Rob=-

Beer or Car?
Dec 14, 2002
South West
Visit site
Some cars are delivered by drivers to customers, one of my previous Seats was from new and driven by a delivery driver. Who knows how they drive the car to you! I am sure a lot of cars are like this or ex demo (thrashed for demos) but they are all fine I am sure...

Mar 13, 2011
I have driven back to back many SEATs, my ones run in and demo cars well thrashed, and I can tell you there is a big diff. Also both my sales guy and the service manager always said my cars were smoother, faster etc compared to their demo cars.:D:D:D

The key to this is whether the engine is allowed to warm to a point where the oil is at normal operating temp before a good thrashing. Once at that point I don't treat a 50 mile engine any differently to a 2000 mile engine. Running in is an outmoded concept aimed at bedding in moving surfaces - relevant back in the day, not so now. Modern engine tolerances mean it isn't necessary and (besides) they are run in on a bench in any event.

As I have said before in other posts on this topic the only thing I avoid on a low mile engine is labouring it at low revs / high gear under any type of load. You may think you are creating a smoother running engine by being careful with revs in the early miles, but its a placebo effect and many schools of thought consider this a bad way to break in an engine (with decent power being the ultimate goal of course).

You stick to your way, I'll stick to mine.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.