Tuning Chip for 1.6tdi

Jun 15, 2013
To answer your points.

No personal experience - see answers below for reason.

Yes it would void your warranty if discovered.

There is a possibility it could leave fault codes on your ECU that the technician would recognise. But if your cars broke down on a dark, wet motorway with your wife at the wheel would she have the knowledge to remove it before the breakdown truck arrived to take it to a Seat garage.

There could be a noticeable difference (opinions differ) but on cars fitted with DPF's they can severely shorten the DPF's life.

As I always say to people, buy a car that's quick enough and there will be no need to do dodgy tunes.

Ckpearce91

Feb 20, 2013
Milton Keynes
To answer your points.

No personal experience - see answers below for reason.

Yes it would void your warranty if discovered.

There is a possibility it could leave fault codes on your ECU that the technician would recognise. But if your cars broke down on a dark, wet motorway with your wife at the wheel would she have the knowledge to remove it before the breakdown truck arrived to take it to a Seat garage.

There could be a noticeable difference (opinions differ) but on cars fitted with DPF's they can severely shorten the DPF's life.

As I always say to people, buy a car that's quick enough and there will be no need to do dodgy tunes.

Well I just had a full read of the website and its just plug in and play so I could just unplug it if needs be and it doesn't replace the manufacturers map either it utilises it. As soon as its unplugged, it goes back to factory settings as if it was never there (as stated on the website). Apparently it doesn't affect the DPF at all.

And the Mrs won't be driving this car on her own, I just wouldn't trust her haha

If I could afford a quicker car I would of got one. It's not just about the power, this claims a 20% increase in fuel economy which is always a good thing.

Jun 15, 2013
If I could afford a quicker car I would of got one. It's not just about the power, this claims a 20% increase in fuel economy which is always a good thing.

Definitely forget it then. These tuning boxes are well documented for fooling the dash display into making you think your MPG has improved but when checked using the actual mileage and fuel used there is rarely any improvement.

The fact that the website says "You'll drive on a smaller throttle opening for a given speed" proves its a scam as diesels do not have throttles that open like petrols, these people clearly have no idea how diesels work.

Read the website carefully, they do not guarantee fuel economy increases they simply say "typical" and "can produce". If they were 100% certain they would not use words like these.

You will be wasting your money.

As for fitting them its not simply one plug. There will be a loom that plugs into the fuel rail, piggy backs each injector, picks up a power positive and then plugs into the box.

Ckpearce91

Feb 20, 2013
Milton Keynes
Definitely forget it then. These tuning boxes are well documented for fooling the dash display into making you think your MPG has improved but when checked using the actual mileage and fuel used there is rarely any improvement.

The fact that the website says "You'll drive on a smaller throttle opening for a given speed" proves its a scam as diesels do not have throttles that open like petrols, these people clearly have no idea how diesels work.

Read the website carefully, they do not guarantee fuel economy increases they simply say "typical" and "can produce". If they were 100% certain they would not use words like these.

You will be wasting your money.

As for fitting them its not simply one plug. There will be a loom that plugs into the fuel rail, piggy backs each injector, picks up a power positive and then plugs into the box.

Ok, thanks for your advice. Would still like to hear if anyone has used it though. But until then I'll steer clear of it.

Also I'd like to say that out of all the forums I've ever been a part of for different cars I've owned, this is by far the best. Every question I've had on here has been answered and quickly. So cheers for that.

J400uk

Jan 7, 2010
London, UK
The tuning chip for the 1.6 TDI is to not buy that engine in the first place and instead opt for the 2.0 TDI ;)

weatherlight

My friend bought one for another car. He also said consumption decreased, but I think its a scam like skidpan mentioned. It basically alters injectors to send more fuel at any pedal position, without ECU knowing. So the car drives with less pressure on the pedal, but consumes like before. I dont think ECU upgrades will give any more FE compared to 10 years ago, since manufacturers now juice every tiny bit of economy from their car straight from factory (even start stop stops the engine as low as 53 degrees coolant temperature. I dont think there's much safety margin left with current ECUs)

Last edited by a moderator:

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
I'm pretty much with skidpan on this, I too would avoid, often you can get the same result that some of these boxes give by adding in a 20 pence resistor in the same place this box fits

On older cars you could often get more power by winding up the boost, but not these days

I know what people are saying, why not buy a bigger engine car, and while that is the best option, sometimes for many reasons that is not always an option, so you work with what you have

So if you really want more power, then take it to a proper tuner that knows what they are doing
Trying to do power upgrades on a modern car on the cheap rarely pays off, except for the placebo effect you may get along with the big hole you may end up with in your wallet if it is seriously over fuelled

Edited to add, just cos you can get the same result as some of these tuning boxes by adding in a resistor or 2, I wasn't suggesting you should do it, just pointing out thats pretty much all some of these boxes consist off

Last edited:

Ckpearce91

Feb 20, 2013
Milton Keynes
I'm pretty much with skidpan on this, I too would avoid, often you can get the same result that some of these boxes give by adding in a 20 pence resistor in the same place this box fits

On older cars you could often get more power by winding up the boost, but not these days

I know what people are saying, why not buy a bigger engine car, and while that is the best option, sometimes for many reasons that is not always an option, so you work with what you have

So if you really want more power, then take it to a proper tuner that knows what they are doing
Trying to do power upgrades on a modern car on the cheap rarely pays off, except for the placebo effect you may get along with the big hole you may end up with in your wallet if it is seriously over fuelled

Edited to add, just cos you can get the same result as some of these tuning boxes by adding in a resistor or 2, I wasn't suggesting you should do it, just pointing out thats pretty much all some of these boxes consist off

As everyone has suggested about the bigger engine I'm glad you understand that its not always an option. With the 1.6 tdi, I get cheaper insurance, free tax, and so on, as I've only been driving for 2 years, my insurance isn't the cheapest.

Also I'm on a PCP so I can't go wild with it, my initial plans were to just change the wheels and tint the rear windows and then put it back to standard in 3 years, but then I was just on google and I come across this "ChipExpress" so I was intrigued. I'm happy with the power I currently have, obviously I wouldn't mind it being a bit more of putting me in the back of my seat but its the quickest car I've owned.

Thanks for the advice! :)

weatherlight

You may try intake & exhaust tuning. İf you can find a larger, more efficienct intercooler for your engine, it will allow colder air into the cyclinders resulting in better performance and FE. Same goes with proper cold air intakes. For exhaust, manufacturers usually tune it for best performance "at minimal noise". If you compromise with noise you can get slightly better performance and FE, although it may be illegal. Free flow straight mufflers have less backpressure compared to stock resonator types (dont know about the stock muffler on TDI though).

Also get low rollign resistance tyres if you dont have them. They actually give around 5% better performance and FE. Try to lighten up the car a bit as well. Remove excess weight & spare tire (some bluemotion models come with tire repair kit). Use lighter weight fabric floor mats. Try to drive with 1/4 tank. All of the above will add to your performance

Jul 29, 2013
Essex
DTUK boxes get a pretty good write for the quality of their products and service. I'm thinking about one for my 184 TDI

Apr 13, 2011
hull
DTUK boxes get a pretty good write for the quality of their products and service. I'm thinking about one for my 184 TDI

Dtuk I will say I ain't used these my self but they do come as the only tuning box that has good reviews and highly recomended but also just as pricy as a remap

Jul 29, 2013
Essex
Does the same thing in reality if you put it on and pay for some RR time - just easier on warranty work and servicing.

Ckpearce91

Feb 20, 2013
Milton Keynes
You may try intake & exhaust tuning. İf you can find a larger, more efficienct intercooler for your engine, it will allow colder air into the cyclinders resulting in better performance and FE. Same goes with proper cold air intakes. For exhaust, manufacturers usually tune it for best performance "at minimal noise". If you compromise with noise you can get slightly better performance and FE, although it may be illegal. Free flow straight mufflers have less backpressure compared to stock resonator types (dont know about the stock muffler on TDI though).

Also get low rollign resistance tyres if you dont have them. They actually give around 5% better performance and FE. Try to lighten up the car a bit as well. Remove excess weight & spare tire (some bluemotion models come with tire repair kit). Use lighter weight fabric floor mats. Try to drive with 1/4 tank. All of the above will add to your performance

All of the above sound good, but I can't do any of it because my cars on a personal lease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Jun 15, 2013

Proven and tested exhaust and intake tuning will cost a fortune and end your warranty.

Your car will already be fitted with low rolling resistance tyres so don't bother with them. Even if it wasn't you would be wasting your money. If the tyres needed replacing fair enough but would you really want to throw 4 brand new tyres away. Considering a set of tyres lasts about 25,000 miles if you rotate them you would use 500 gallons at 50 mpg. Save 5% and that's 25 gallons. 25 gallons costs about £150. A new set of energy saving tyres costs about £300. No saving there.

UK cars don't have a spare as standard.

You also mention that you like the low insurance you are paying. Any mods you make to the car will need to be notified to the insurance company, if you don't you risk being without cover should you need it. Mods will increase your premium.

bisto48

May 8, 2010
Oxford
Ive got one of these fitted to my 1.9tdi and have had no problems at all. The 20% increase in mpg is a load of rubbish i get probably 5-10% at best. On the highest setting it is far too aggressive and made my clutch slip in 6th so I have dropped it right down. Had it fitted for over 20k miles and had no problems. It is a single plug on mine (not sure on the cr engines though) with connections to the battery.

For the price though you can get a decent remap (mine was given to me when my brother sold his ibiza for a petrol leon fr)

Ckpearce91

Feb 20, 2013
Milton Keynes
Ive got one of these fitted to my 1.9tdi and have had no problems at all. The 20% increase in mpg is a load of rubbish i get probably 5-10% at best. On the highest setting it is far too aggressive and made my clutch slip in 6th so I have dropped it right down. Had it fitted for over 20k miles and had no problems. It is a single plug on mine (not sure on the cr engines though) with connections to the battery.

For the price though you can get a decent remap (mine was given to me when my brother sold his ibiza for a petrol leon fr)

So not really worth it then. I'm not gonna bother. I'll just leave it as it is...

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
Ok, thanks for your advice. Would still like to hear if anyone has used it though. But until then I'll steer clear of it.

Also I'd like to say that out of all the forums I've ever been a part of for different cars I've owned, this is by far the best. Every question I've had on here has been answered and quickly. So cheers for that.

This is a bit of a wild car suggestion, extra power power is always nice, I got a few very very fast cars but you can never have enough power
But from what you said about this being the fastest car you have owned
So I would not try to make your car faster, but make yourself faster,book yourself a day or so with a proper race instructor at a track, once you know how to handle a car take corners, braking when to put the power down etc you will be amazed how much faster you can safely go and the difference it makes to driving

A far better investment than a bit of chip tunning and you can take it from car to car with you

I should add I'm not implying your not a good driver,just that with a bit of proper instruction you will be amazed the difference it makes and how much quicker and safer you can make progress on the road or track

Not that you should ever be stupid on the roads before anyone says I'm advorcating driving fast on the roads, but as your asking for more power anyway I guess you weren't looking for it just to make the car look pretty, but to go faster

Ckpearce91

Feb 20, 2013
Milton Keynes
This is a bit of a wild car suggestion, extra power power is always nice, I got a few very very fast cars but you can never have enough power
So I would not try to make your car faster, but make yourself faster,book yourself a day or so with a proper race instructor at a track, once you know how to handle a car take corners, braking when to put the power down etc you will be amazed how much faster you can safely go and the difference it makes to driving

A far better investment than a bit of chip tunning and you can take it from car to car with you

I should add I'm not implying your not a good driver,just that with a bit of proper instruction you will be amazed the difference it makes and how much quicker and safer you can make progress on the road or track

Not that you should ever be stupid on the roads before anyone says I'm advorcating driving fast on the roads, but as your asking for more power anyway I guess you weren't looking for it just to make the car look pretty, but to go faster

I drive vans for work, one of them being a 2.0tdi caddy 130bhp, (don't know what the torque is) I know it's not much but that puts me in the back of my seat.

My car can be quick if I don't let the revs drop and keep it on boost. I wasn't looking for it to be faster...I was just wondering if this chip was any good.

My first car was a 1.1 Peugeot 106, then a mk4 fiesta 1.25, then a mk3 ibiza 1.4 8v (which was probably the slowest car) lol. The reason I went for the 1.6 was because of insurance being lower and I wasn't too worried about power because I knew it would be the best car and newest car I've owned.

I can't really modify it because its on a PCP. And I know if I change the wheels and such I have to let the insurance company know which isn't a problem as long as I don't void my warranty I'm happy. Because I'm not paying £270 a month for a car that has no warranty lol.

I've actually got a rally experience that I still need to book, although that's a bit different to track because I don't think people would take to kindly to me sliding side ways round bends on the streets especially in Milton Keynes haha

Ckpearce91

Feb 20, 2013
Milton Keynes

I drive vans for work, one of them being a 2.0tdi caddy 130bhp, (don't know what the torque is) I know it's not much but that puts me in the back of my seat.

My car can be quick if I don't let the revs drop and keep it on boost. I wasn't looking for it to be faster...I was just wondering if this chip was any good.

My first car was a 1.1 Peugeot 106, then a mk4 fiesta 1.25, then a mk3 ibiza 1.4 8v (which was probably the slowest car) lol. The reason I went for the 1.6 was because of insurance being lower and I wasn't too worried about power because I knew it would be the best car and newest car I've owned.

I can't really modify it because its on a PCP. And I know if I change the wheels and such I have to let the insurance company know which isn't a problem as long as I don't void my warranty I'm happy. Because I'm not paying £270 a month for a car that has no warranty lol.

I've actually got a rally experience that I still need to book, although that's a bit different to track because I don't think people would take to kindly to me sliding side ways round bends on the streets especially in Milton Keynes haha

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.