Turbo failure

taff141177

Jan 28, 2012
crewe
I'm not really clued up on turbos so was wondering if I could get some answers how can I tell when my turbo goes also should the turbo be quiet prominent when driving or pretty quiet ?

taff141177

Jan 28, 2012
crewe
Turbo has gone A bit quieter recently also when I put my foot down it seems like it drops in power then goes again nothing major . The car was owned by a woman before me from new and was hardly driven checked on line at her mot Certs and she literally had done two thousand miles each year ?

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Depends how it fails really mate. If it's a seal failure (most common failure) then probably a lot of smoke from the exhaust etc. If the hub fails at full whack ( not that common luckily) then i've heard people who have experienced it say it's like a grenade going off under the bonnet! Not suprising really when you realise that turbos often have speeds in the region of 80,000 to 120,000rpm! Thats a hell of a lot of energy built up if a compressor wheel etc fails.
On the LC/LCR then the turbo should be easy to hear when boosting, should also be able to feel it kick in and shove the car fwd at 2000-2500rpm. Not sure about how the diesel leons sound tbh, never driven one, but the turbos on diesel cars i have driven are definitely not so noticeable.

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Would a diagnostic reader pick up on it ?

I would have thought so yeah. Do you think the turbo is working at all? Or does it feel like it permanently in limp mode? What rpm does the car start to pull at? If turbo is working properly then it should be 2000rpm ish. If in limp mode then it will feel dead until 4000rpm ish

Last edited:

taff141177

Jan 28, 2012
crewe
Depends how it fails really mate. If it's a seal failure (most common failure) then probably a lot of smoke from the exhaust etc. If the hub fails at full whack ( not that common luckily) then i've heard people who have experienced it say it's like a grenade going off under the bonnet! Not suprising really when you realise that turbos often have speeds in the region of 80,000 to 120,000rpm! Thats a hell of a lot of energy built up if a compressor wheel etc fails.
On the LC/LCR then the turbo should be easy to hear when boosting, should also be able to feel it kick in and shove the car fwd at 2000-2500rpm. Not sure about how the diesel leons sound tbh, never driven one, but the turbos on diesel cars i have driven are definitely not so noticeable.

I know for defo I've not got any smoke so hopefully that's a good sign still get the kick at 2000-2500 revs as well just seems the turbo has gone slightly quiet this may sound stupid but forgive me if it does I've fitted a bonnet seal would that stop the sound coming out more

taff141177

Jan 28, 2012
crewe
I would have thought so yeah. Do you think the turbo is working at all? Or does it feel like it permanently in limp mode? What rpm does the car start to pull at? If turbo is working properly then it should be 2000rpm ish. If in limp mode then it will feel dead until 4000rpm ish

Reckon it's still working got it booked in for a service Thursday and my mates going to get his diagnostic reader on it for me reason I've asked looking to get it re mapped in a few weeks so want it running properly before

Lc180 T

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Yeah it's quite possible that the new bonnet seal has made it sound quieter i guess. As long as you can still hear it spinning up and it still pulls hard from 2000-5000rpm then it sounds ok buddy. Maybe get it on vagcom/vcds to just check it out. You getting a revo remap mate?

Last edited:

taff141177

Jan 28, 2012
crewe
Yeah it's quite possible that the new bonnet seal has made it sound quieter i guess. As long as you can still hear it spinning up and it still pulls hard from 2000-5000rpm then it sounds ok buddy. Maybe get it on vagcom/vcds to just check it out. You getting a revo remap mate?

Yeah it's spinning at about 3000rpm ? Yeah hoping to get one sorted in a few weeks just looking around to see what the best remap is ?

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Yeah it's spinning at about 3000rpm ? Yeah hoping to get one sorted in a few weeks just looking around to see what the best remap is ?

I've got the LC 180 with the AUQ engine, which i'm guessing is the same as yours. You definitely won't be disapointed with revo stage 1 mate. I had mine done a couple of months back and the diffference between that and standard is huge! It pulls so much harder in every gear, totally transforms the car. Goes from 180bhp and 173lb/ft to 210bhp and 240lb/ft! :D

taff141177

Jan 28, 2012
crewe
I've got the LC 180 with the AUQ engine, which i'm guessing is the same as yours. You definitely won't be disapointed with revo stage 1 mate. I had mine done a couple of months back and the diffference between that and standard is huge! It pulls so much harder in every gear, totally transforms the car. Goes from 180bhp and 173lb/ft to 210bhp and 240lb/ft! :D

How can you tell if its an auq ?

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Take the plastic cover off of the top of the engine and then the 3 letter code should be stamped on a little piece of metal just on the front of the cylinder head. Either that or there is sticker underneath the carpet in the boot which should tell you all of the car info too. If your car is made in 2001 or after then you can pretty much guarantee that it will be an AUQ

taff141177

Jan 28, 2012
crewe
Take the plastic cover off of the top of the engine and then the 3 letter code should be stamped on a little piece of metal just on the front of the cylinder head. Either that or there is sticker underneath the carpet in the boot which should tell you all of the car info too. If your car is made in 2001 or after then you can pretty much guarantee that it will be an AUQ

Nice one mate cheers for the info

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
No worries buddy, you're welcome. Sticker in boot is probably your best bet as that tells you engine, gearbox and all the extras fitted to the car. Lots of 3 letter/number codes that correspond to all the equipment fitted. If you enter all the codes into this website then it will decode them for you. Useful when it comes to replacing brakes etc http://igorweb.org/equidec/Default.aspx

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.