Turbo Project

wicca

Apr 20, 2004
well I haven't been writing here for a long time

I managed to screw one turbo up ( with the clogged air filter) and rebuilt it

with a larger cold side - racing T4 off a cossie + hoolset wheel 56/70mm.

so we have introduced lag into the equation - but the thing pull like shite afterwards ( from 3 800 - 6 000 ) and you have to keep it on the boil.
Raj, I manged 15.7 too with missing 2nd twice . . . and 14.7 with a slow 1-2 change - preserving the 'box

hold boost is 1.25 - peaks to 1.5 -

i have seen 240 = 150 mph on the speedo - no idea what true speed is .

wicca

Apr 20, 2004
Well I finally managed to get the wheels I bought from Andy on a lorry to BG , but they are still rooming around Northern Europe:)

Anyway - i have ordered 550cc Injectors and will target 1.8 peak and 1.5 bar hold boost (22 PSI) .... i don't care what will happen but I am sure motor will hold - not sure for the gearbox:) it holds well so far as with the new turbo setup change from 2nd to 3rd has to be lightning quick or else you fall in lag.

I managed to show a few cars of big time - the car is a real beast up to 200 km/h and from there on to 230 240 is a bit slow ( diesel gears)

generally the car is very drivable, reliable, and unbelievably - economic...

i get about 220-230 miles out of a fuel tank ....

Icecavern - go for it !

wicca

Apr 20, 2004
a few updates

the car is in for recon of gearbox - we did not change 2nd gear synchro last time.

also the new turbo makes this motor have some real twist action - at 1.4 bar the clutch slips a bit , so i am guessing an oil leak on the clutch , either fro crank side , or gearbox side .... or just a worn out clutch - we will see

MS extra is fine - car starts and idles properly, boost is relevant to TPS so i can really fight wheelspin.
the 550 cc injectors would allow for peaks of 1.8 with a hold boost of 1.5 .

will keep an update

wicca

Apr 20, 2004
update

i have not been driving this car for a while . it is sad and i miss it soo badly. Ski holidays in Austria a few business trips and i have left the car in a garage .

will fit the new brakes 330mm ( 13 inch ) , 17 from Andy, XYZ coilovers are on the way in, 2 recaro seats and Scrhoth seatbelts.

car still has not been remapped , clutch is still slipping , have not had the time at all.

i am a bit distracted from 2 facts :

- i bought a 323 BF GTX MAZDA for snow rallying ( it iz a 4x4 - 1988 model) that is huge fun to drive in snow and wet .

- i lost a friend and am really sad about him - he was not driving , gave to a friend to drive . car is 2007 N12 Impreza.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiARAt3_YGg&feature=related

sjc59

Jul 30, 2006
Sorry to hear about your loss mate, the car is a big mess.
Be good to get your project finally finished and running as it should.

wicca

Apr 20, 2004
Fixed the new seats in , XYZ suspension is in
it all works and stuff

here is one issue i need you guys to help .

I have decided to respray the car and will be flaring the arches WRC style .

all pictures , ideas are welcome .

I want to create a WRC look for the road. Color will be the same - red. with the SuperT :)

Ivan

Dan1.6

1.6 Power FTW!!!!!!!!
Sep 26, 2008
Chesterfield
wow iv jist read this thread through all the way through and i am very impressed i had to read alot of the stuff twice as i didnt understand it
and im dieing to read your next update ivan :D

wicca

Apr 20, 2004
Hi to everyone I know

:)

Well I sold the kit off my car , and decided to go the big time WRC style , as much as possible.

Here are the new specs on the car, i plan to build NEXT year .

- ported and polished head
- H beam Rods
- better exshaust manifold - equal lenght
- Mk 4 1.8 turbo inlet manifold, made to fit a 16v head
- 630 cc injectors
- GT 2871 R - Garret Dual BALLBEARING turbine
- TIAL 38 mm External wastegate
- Home made ceramic clutch, pressure plate off an ABF
- Audi S3 Quattro Gearbox - code FMN - 6 speed
- Haldex rear diff
- VW Passat G60 rear axle made to fit a Haldex unit in it
- 4 pot brembo brakes at the front
- ViPec 44 ECU
- external fuel tank
- road roll cage
- Recaro recliner seats

so there it is. 4x4 Cordoba 400 horses , undestructable drivetrain.

I have got most of the stuff so far, bar the ECU , and propshaft, cv joints etc.

here is the last clip at 1.2 bar on my car , not really trying hard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7UNIvUZCKc

mr noisy

Jun 10, 2009
how much to supply all the stuff i need for my ABF cordoba ? wanna do this but need all the parts apart from a cossie turbo

M1KEH

M1KE
Oct 27, 2007
The Middle
Wow the next evolution of your cordy sounds extremely interesting, how are you going to control the haldex on the rear diff?

wicca

Apr 20, 2004
Haldex control can be done through the ViPec 44 ecu.

another way is by a separate controler, home made option, but i prefer option 1.

bigger problem is suspension, i need a decent option for a standard cordie, any ideas - GAS , Bilstein, Koni????

wicca

Apr 20, 2004
pls help me with suspension

i need a decent set up for a standard cordie - with adjustment if possible

M1KEH

M1KE
Oct 27, 2007
The Middle
Weitec hicon gt's or gtn's will give you reasonable suspension at a good price with a lot of adjustment, or you could just go for weitec ultra gt's but these aren't adjustable.

wicca

Apr 20, 2004
Guys

I am soon to start my project , everything i need is available , apart from suspension.

The Vipec44 controls the Haldex through one of the auxiliary ouputs, but it need a feedpack for closed loop contorl of the haldex valve. We ingeniosly fitted a tps ( 0-5 volt signal ) to the pump motor , tested in on a sister car - Mk3 16v with s3 drivetrain and haldex and it works perfect.

The Vipec allows for 3d map , so there are 2 variables that can control the haldex - in the test case it is gear, and revs .

I will post plenty of photographs as soon as the work starts, sometime next week.

So far I have disasembled the engine , ported and polished the head and each and every valve myself , went to the shop for new valveguides and it is good to go.

I will use my old Iasa pistons with new rings , and a honing ont the block , mated to new H beam rods , and lets see if the old lady will hold toghether.

The turbo as I said will be non gated GT2871 with 0.63 ar , hope we can manage the 400 crank horsepower range , or around 300 whp .

The cams are off ABF as they provide higher lift than standard and at the same time overlap is not huge, good for turbocharged motor with strong midrange requirements.

Bmw M3 ( E46) COP will provide the sparks, as they are designed for reliable ignition at higher than 7000 rpm.

Bosch 044 pump in an external tank ( not designed yet ) , will provide the fuel to the custom fuel rail, and 650 cc siemens deka injectors.

Hope everything to be in order and have a dream Corbie WRC style in a few months.

No expense is spared on the car, without overdoing anything.

wicca

Apr 20, 2004
Hi

how can i load some pictures here of the progress of the car , we are nearly done with engine , gearbox and transmision , ecu instalation, rear suspension and propshaft , need to install fuelcell, IC, piping , etc etc etc

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise