turbo

dellboy

hi guys just found this site after trying to find out what has gone wrong with my toledo right from the start turbo has been whistling for a while drove car on friday and all of a sudden cloulds of smoke coming out of everywhere have left car in asda car park and walked home thinking the turbo had gone anyway talking to guy at work he thinks it might not have gone but has blown oil pipe leading to turbo ? any ideas cheers dellboy

Dox1966

Jul 13, 2007
Basics first, petrol or diesel?

White, blue or black smoke?

Which model is your car? - Tip, whenever you ask a question you need to give the basic details of the car!

It could be a split boost pipe by your description of the whistling or blown turbo seals allowing the engine to consume its own sump oil

dellboy

the car is a toledo 110 bhp turbo diesel 2001 model the smoke was white and lots of it the wife went down to check on it this morning to see if had oil leaking out under the car she has phoned me to say she could not see any cheers dellboy

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
White smoke and a sudden loss of power would most likely be a boost hose popping off.

If the oil pipe had come off the feed to the turbo bearing you would notice
i) loss of all the oil (the turbo feed is at very high pressure)
ii) horrible noises as the turbo seized, followed by
iii) the engine seizing from lack of oil.

dellboy

cheers muttley is it just acase of putting the hose back on ?

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Well, it would be best if you could find out why it's come off. There's a clip and seal involved at each pipe junction. What usually happens (well, what gets reported on here at any rate) is that the lugs on the plastic pipes get worn so the clip has nothing much holding it on. Duct tape, cable ties and jubilee clips have been resorted to, but the only real answer is a new pipe. Depends on how worn your old pipe is.

dellboy

towing car back tonight had a quick look at it today all the smoke is coming out of the exhaust nothing from around the manifold so does this mean the turbo has gone i was talking to some one at work today he told me he has one in his garage for a audi 1900 cc turbo any ideas if this will fit cheers dellboy

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
No, not at all. If a boost pipe has come loose, it means that the inlet boost pressure is being lost, so not enough air is being pushed into the cylinders. The ecu expects more air and fuels accordingly. So there is too much fuel, and it goes straight through unburned.

Check the full run of the boost pipes from turbo outlet to the EGR valve and inlet manifold.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.