Tweaking

Tazzy

On the dutch seat forum some people are unsure about the differences between the normal and FR version.

Some say that the FR has a bigger IC and other turbo. Haven't seen this confirmed yet

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Most can to up to & beyond..

Revo
Forge
Custom-Code

All do PD140 stuff (although you may have to pretend its a New Leon for the sake of information finding)

MSV User

m0rk said:
Most can to up to & beyond..

Revo
Forge
Custom-Code

All do PD140 stuff (although you may have to pretend its a New Leon for the sake of information finding)

Will check em out!

loadswine said:
A remap or tuning box will do pretty much what you want. I run a tuning box on mine and the pull is just effortless. Many threads on this forum cover the remap or box issue. Do a search and you'll find tons of info.

Thanks Loadswine! How much did it cost? Is it easy to remove before servicing?

Ade :think:

Richie D

May 24, 2005
Shropshire
I've been thinking of selling my tuning box. Its a great way of tuning the engine without spending a fortune, and its easy to take out before servicing. The problem is the fuel consumption when you start giving it welly, which you will. And then there's going through tyres in 13k which is quite quick even for my standards, or lack of them.

Rich

Tell

Staff member
I see you have had loads of posts on tuning but nothing on your other question:

"Also, Can anyone recommend a good multichanger that will work with the standard sport dash unit?"

Well I had to go into all of this when I was fitting a Sony MD changer. If it's going to be a CD changer or even a Sony HD thingey or an MD changer by Sony then you need a box that remaps the instructions from the headend to the Sony standard... The same box covers all Sony's so it it happens to be a Sont changer then see

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=63758

There is stuff on the net about what changer the headend defaults to... once you do decide on your changer then you need the interface box and if the Altea isn't listed then you look for the Golf V / Toureg etc. My little MD changer I have tucked away in the boot on the right hand side recessed area and the lower boot floor lift up past it no problems. Other than that you won't get a CD changer in the boot unless you put it on the lower level and that woudl be a main to use. The arm rest is the place where the factory hit one goes but that too narrow for an MD changer. Other people have put their HD changers under the passenger seat.

Trust that helps.

loadswine

loadswine
Richie D said:
I've been thinking of selling my tuning box. Its a great way of tuning the engine without spending a fortune, and its easy to take out before servicing. The problem is the fuel consumption when you start giving it welly, which you will. And then there's going through tyres in 13k which is quite quick even for my standards, or lack of them.

Rich
My first set of fronts went in 12k with no tuning box! Fuel consumption is not really any worse on mine , but it only did about 32 mpg round town before. Got my box one notch under middle setting and that is a great compromise.
I found fitting or removal takes about 15 mins.
My box cost £200 secondhand, but I want to go onto a remap next.
Anyone wants my box PM me, as I'm selling it . (Obviously for less than I paid.)

hibitdat

Leon FR TDI 150 Plat Grey
Sep 30, 2004
Dorset
Just for the record, the FR engine is quite different from the standard 2.0TDI with, amongst other things, new piezo injectors. There is clearly lots of potential in the standard unit though, with the power and torque Revo etc are getting!

It probably sounds daft but the only thing that worries me with them is if SEAT update the ecu software, will it still work with a remap when it gets updated at service time. If anyone knows, please explain!

Tell

Staff member
BTW mine has now leveled off at 39 MPG, standard 2.0TDI, DSG, 17" and no twigs. The consumption went down after the first oil change - I reckon what they put in is thicker than the running in oil.

The measurement is top up to top up running average from new, not via the computer and using the speedo miles.

& I reckon my fronts will be good for 20,000 Loadswine... they will get past 12,000 :).

loadswine

loadswine
hibitdat said:
Just for the record, the FR engine is quite different from the standard 2.0TDI with, amongst other things, new piezo injectors. There is clearly lots of potential in the standard unit though, with the power and torque Revo etc are getting!

It probably sounds daft but the only thing that worries me with them is if SEAT update the ecu software, will it still work with a remap when it gets updated at service time. If anyone knows, please explain!
I've heard people voice concerns over losing their remap to an overzealous servicing outfit. Most dealers will tell you first before doing such a thing, many wouldn't bother offering up any type of upgrade without being pressured to by the owner and a lot of tuning concerns will do another remap for a small charge if the unthinkable happens and you lose the map they put on.
Failing that, put on a box and remove prior to service trips and you keep your upgrade path.

loadswine

loadswine
Tell said:
BTW mine has now leveled off at 39 MPG, standard 2.0TDI, DSG, 17" and no twigs. The consumption went down after the first oil change - I reckon what they put in is thicker than the running in oil.

The measurement is top up to top up running average from new, not via the computer and using the speedo miles.

& I reckon my fronts will be good for 20,000 Loadswine... they will get past 12,000 :).
Good man Tell, you are obviously a more sympathetic user than me. I reckon I'll be going for a second front set when you change yours for the first time!

Apr 21, 2006
Cirencester
Loadswine. You must also be sympathetic as l only got about 10,000 out of the original front 17 inch Dunlop Sports and about 18,000 on the rears. Now running Michelin Pilot Sports, reached 24,000 and the wear, grip and tyre noise (especially) are all improved.
Or should l just slow down when cornering!