Tyre pressure 290 ST 19" performance wheels

Cupra290

STM400
Mar 8, 2016
United Kingdom
Hi guys

Anyone here with 19" performance wheels on a 290 ST? I'd like to know the tyre pressure.
Dealer says 3 bar (42-43 PSI) both front and rear. Different if you read the label on the car but maybe that's for the standard 18" wheels? Don't know if they change the label if you go for the performance pack. 235/35 r19.

NotApplicable

Newbie....at my age?????
Mar 26, 2016
Somerset
Hi guys

Anyone here with 19" performance wheels on a 290 ST? I'd like to know the tyre pressure.
Dealer says 3 bar (42-43 PSI) both front and rear. Different if you read the label on the car but maybe that's for the standard 18" wheels? Don't know if they change the label if you go for the performance pack. 235/35 r19.

I have the same tyres, but mine is a non-ST Leon. My recomendation is to follow the label in the car (inside fuel filler cap). I keep mine at 2.7 front, 2.4 rear.as it is usually only me in it haring around the lanes. Having mine at 3 all round would make it feel quite skittish, light and uncontollable as wll as wearing out the tyres in the middle

Cupra290

STM400
Mar 8, 2016
United Kingdom
Dealer told me 44 psi, label reads 39 front and 35 rear so now I let some air out and I'm going to try 39/35. I can't really understand why dealers say one thing and the manufacturer another...? Who do we trust? Seat? Michelin? Continental? Dealer?

NotApplicable

Newbie....at my age?????
Mar 26, 2016
Somerset
Dealer told me 44 psi, label reads 39 front and 35 rear so now I let some air out and I'm going to try 39/35. I can't really understand why dealers say one thing and the manufacturer another...? Who do we trust? Seat? Michelin? Continental? Dealer?

In the countless cars I have had, my advice is to trust the car manufacturers sticker in the car. If it doesn't have one, then the manual ( you know, that wodge of paper that has so many words in you never read it!) is the next best. Dealers are generally ignorant through lack of experience.

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
My ST Cupra has the details for 19's in the fuel filler cap. I'm running the performance wheels (multi spoke in other words not sure they're any lighter) and it shouldn't make a difference what wheel when the tyre size and offsets are all the same.

Weirdly though why would low pressure wear out the middle of the tyre. It's always been low pressure will wear out the outside more and high pressure will wear out the centre more :confused:

NotApplicable

Newbie....at my age?????
Mar 26, 2016
Somerset
I agree, modern tyres do wear in the middle if pressure is too low...
Goes for 225/45-17, and 225/40-18 as well as 235/35-19

You're going to have to explain the physics of that or can you give some links to some research/data?

My experience with my Mk 1 Leon on 225/45 was high pressure wore out the middle.

Last edited:

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
You're going to have to explain the physics of that or can you give some links to some research/data?

My experience with my Mk 1 Leon on 225/45 was high pressure wore out the middle.

Glad I'm not the only one.

From Kwik Fit (lol):

Correct Inflation:
tyre-inflation_correct.png

Under Inflation:
tyre-inflation_under.png

Over Inflation:
tyre-inflation_over.png

Last edited:

Cupra Belfast

Jun 11, 2016
39 front 38 rear

I have a 280ST on 19" and it seems to say that the pressures should be 39 at the front and 38 at the rear for light load and with passengers & luggage it goes to 42 front and 42 rear. If that helps any?

Cupra girl

Jun 5, 2017
I had a pressure loss warning come up on front passenger side tyre, went to check tyre pressures (first time on new car that I've had for 3 months, naughty ��) and all four tyres were at 54psi ����. This was brand new from a dealer... was a bit taken aback and reverted to tyre pressures shown in fuel cap which were for the correct tyre size (235/35 R19) which I think from memory were 39 to front and 35 to rear... anyone know why the dealer had them pumped up so much?!

This is on a 290 Black edition.

Last edited:

Sonofzelda

What the covfefe!
Sep 25, 2016
Rugby
Perhaps he'd confused your car with a mountain bike - It's so easily done.
The number of times I've been pulled over for cycling on the M6 - what am I like!

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
I had a pressure loss warning come up on front passenger side tyre, went to check tyre pressures (first time on new car that I've had for 3 months, naughty ��) and all four tyres were at 54psi ����. This was brand new from a dealer... was a bit taken aback and reverted to tyre pressures shown in fuel cap which were for the correct tyre size (235/35 R19) which I think from memory were 39 to front and 35 to rear... anyone know why the dealer had them pumped up so much?!

Those pressures are ridiculously high. Only reason they'd do that is because they're incompetent.

OptimusDecline

Feb 24, 2016
Scotland
I couldn't believe my eyes to be honest

Tut tut. Maybe the pressures were set to 40 odd psi by the dealer and you were ragging it through the corners to within an inch of it's life before you checked the tyre pressures on a hot day? I've seen a 12psi rise before after some particularly spirited driving before.

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Tut tut. Maybe the pressures were set to 40 odd psi by the dealer and you were ragging it through the corners to within an inch of it's life before you checked the tyre pressures on a hot day? I've seen a 12psi rise before after some particularly spirited driving before.

Maybe the tyre pressures are pumped up for transport and they were not adjusted at PDI?

Or they had a dodgy pressure monitor?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.