Tyre Pressure Warning Light appeared today

crmpicco

May 2, 2012
I have a 2008 (58) Leon FR Diesel. I was driving at around 55mph this afternoon when the Tyre Pressure warning light came on in the dash. I had never seen the light before so I had to look it up in the manual.

When I got home I checked my tyres, thinking it had a puncture or at the very least a slow puncture, but I put the air compressor onto the front two tyres and both were sitting at 30 PSI. I put a wee bit of air in both to take them to 32 PSI, but neither really needed it.

My wife admitted to "hitting a hole" in the road yesterday, so I feared I had some rim leak but I can't see anything and the tyre pressures do seem fine.

I held the "Tyre Pressure SET" button next to the handbrake and it seemed to go off. I went for a 2 minute drive around the block and it has stayed off, but i'm wondering why it has appeared.

I read on another thread in this forum that this may happen if the sensor is dirty, if this is a likely cause then where will I find the sensor and does it just need a clean with a cloth?

fike

Mar 15, 2011
ross-shire
I have had that happen a couple of times now ,going off and nothing wrong with pressure in tyres ,reset and went on my way.

joostdeblok

Sep 18, 2011
Netherlands
There not real tyre pressure sensors, they measure the rotation speed from each wheel (from the ABS sensors) and then compare them to each other. If one wheel is substantly turning a different rotation speed then the other ones it kicks the light in. I think the ABS sensors (might me magnetic) are build in the wheel hub.

If your pressures are ok just confirm/reset the monitoring system and off you go.

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
I wouldn't worry, The system was obviously set at some point and over time all 4 will have lost a bit of pressure. It has probably detected that all 4 were slightly below the last known set values.

The system can detect a very small change in pressure (maybe 2PSI difference)

Ryanoceros

Mar 12, 2012
Newcastle
I remember mine went on when my wheels had been spinning a bit in the snow.It must of just sensed one wheel spinning faster/more then the other and assumed it had a puncture or loss of pressure.
I wouldn't worry,just reset it.

Wimbledonian

Aug 31, 2010
milling around
My wife kept complaining it was going off, must be a fault cos the tyres look OK. But it was 12 PSI down in one of the rears. Tyre guy took it off and showed us a nice screw poking through. Fortunately an easy and cheap repair.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.