Tyre ratings 91H or 94V for my Altea XL 1.9 Tdi ?

MarkTDI

Feb 19, 2018
East Yorkshire
Hello,

About to buy some Michelin CrossClimate + tyres and there are two ratings available for my car.
Either:
205/55 R16 91 H
or 205/55 R16 94 V XL

The cheap tyres on my car are 91V so cant compare to these as they may not be correct.

So any advice on choosing 91H or 94V tyres.

Thanks.

klawit

ALTEA 1.4 TSI 4YOU (my2015)
Oct 13, 2005
Germany, Cologne-Area
According to the COC (certificate of conformity), the Altea requires a minimum of 91H (load index, speed rating), so imho no need to go for higher (and mostly more expensive) categories.

MarkTDI

Feb 19, 2018
East Yorkshire
Well I bought some from BlackCircles as they had a discount code that tempted me.

Decided on the Cross Climate Plus 94V XL mainly as the XL Extra load rating appears to have extra reinforcement so might be better at resisting pothole and kerb damage and they didn't cost much extra and they where available quickly.

Previous tyres where some cheap make that were on the car when I bought it and they where absolutely terrible in the wet and noisy on the motorway. When I say terrible in the wet they where frightening and twice I have aquaplaned on motorways and frighted myself.

With the Cross Climate the Altea XL is transformed in the wet, quieter to drive, a softer feel to the ride that is most noticeable over speed bumps and on rough roads and the steering feels great and sure footed.

Really pleased with them, I wish I had bought them sooner.

Looking forward to when it snows :)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members