Tyres

NickyJam

FR - gone, not forgotten
Mar 17, 2008
SW LONDON
The falken 914 (new tread pattern) have a better wet grip rating so I'm hopeful

a word of warning...the rating is not wet grip but wet braking in a straight line...this has a lot less to do with how the tyre actually performs when turning or accelerating in the wet. you'll also find the grippier tyres have a much worse fuel economy rating...so basically you should aim to go for a tyre that has a mid to low fuel economy rating for enough grip and mid to high wet braking is good too.

The Uniroyal Rainsports fall right into this category along with others but really take into account all the ratings when looking into tyres nowadays as it is deceiving at first

this is my approach...each to their own and all that :)

Nov 6, 2008
Kettering
a word of warning...the rating is not wet grip but wet braking in a straight line...this has a lot less to do with how the tyre actually performs when turning or accelerating in the wet. you'll also find the grippier tyres have a much worse fuel economy rating...so basically you should aim to go for a tyre that has a mid to low fuel economy rating for enough grip and mid to high wet braking is good too.

The Uniroyal Rainsports fall right into this category along with others but really take into account all the ratings when looking into tyres nowadays as it is deceiving at first

this is my approach...each to their own and all that :)

touche' sound advice,

they 914 have got an e rating on efficiency, b on wet braking and 71 external noise,

i had the 912 and they read the same bar the wet braking which was a C and tbh I was really happy with them

Sjdickso

Apr 21, 2005
Went to have some Hankook V12's fitted to our the other day but they didn't get delivered in time so had some Toyo 4,s put on which seem ok although in this -c and snow weather it's hard to say.

Nov 6, 2008
Kettering
Ive had the newer falkens (ZE914) fitted fir a week ànd since I ditched the toyo's I have seen a marked improvement in the cars mpg ànd overall grip. Before I used to struggle to top an indicated 50mpg, now it's topping that every trip ànd on the run to work getting more than 55mpg so I'm seeing a 5% increase by moving up 2 grades in the eco scale ànd on course for another 65 miles from this tank, ànd as I say it grips better in wet ànd dry.

Tapatalk on Xperia S

Chriskona

Supacupra
Jun 14, 2008
Southampton
I previously had the Hankook Ventus V12 on my cupra and was really impressed with their handling and wear. They seem to be a lot pricier now than when I last got them. I have just replaced 2 with Kuhmo Ecsta KU39 on the front - I can't comment on wear for now but am very impressed so far, handle well in dry and wet conditions and provide a nice ride/lowish noise.

Jim H

Mar 6, 2009
Teesside
I have a Fabis vRS, and have the same sized tyres.

I've had Goodyears (GSD2s & GSD3s) Toyo T1-Rs and currently using Uniroyal Rainsport 2s. I like Rainsports so much now, I'm onto my second pair. I can't fault them. Reasonably priced too. I paid £131 delivered for a pair last October. Then £25 fitting at my local garage.

This pic probably explains why they are so good in the wet and why I like them so much. :D

image0502.jpg

Nearly 9 mm of tread. :D New tyres normally come with about 7.5 to 8mm.

Aug 8, 2011
Essex
I have Michelin Pilot Exalto's on at the moment, not as good as I thought they'd be but I've just got the car and it's been <6C pretty much every time I've driven so it's a bit unfair to judge. I live in the north of Scotland, so naturally it rains all the time so when it comes to replacement, I think Uniroyal Rainsports would be the way to go

I'm a little suprised you're disappointed with the Exalto s. I used to use them on my 182 Cup and found them to be an excellent tyre. The wet weather grip was superb from memory, plus they didn't wear that quickly either. I take it you've not experienced these tyres before? Also what tyres were you using before?

Deleted member 77040

I have a Fabis vRS, and have the same sized tyres.

I've had Goodyears (GSD2s & GSD3s) Toyo T1-Rs and currently using Uniroyal Rainsport 2s. I like Rainsports so much now, I'm onto my second pair. I can't fault them. Reasonably priced too. I paid £131 delivered for a pair last October. Then £25 fitting at my local garage.

This pic probably explains why they are so good in the wet and why I like them so much. :D

image0502.jpg

Nearly 9 mm of tread. :D New tyres normally come with about 7.5 to 8mm.

131 quid for two that's a right bargain there like 88 quid just for one these days :blink: