Tyres

pege63

Apr 10, 2018
Borders
What make did u get on your car when it arrived. Mine came with Falcons, not sure I like em.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
When I test drove an Ibiza FR last week, the 18inch rims had Dunlop Sport Maxx RT2, the 2 other 16inch Rims Ibizas SE Tech parked next to the FR, had Nexens and Falkens.

They had a 17 inch rims Xcellence Ibiza as well nearby, but I can't remember exactly what they had...might have been Continentals....unless they were on the Arona Xcellence...so don't take my word on that one...

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
OEM tyres are whatever VW can get cheap. It's amazing how different the cars feel on each one as well. I've driven 3 Toledos on 17s, the Dunlop SP sportmaxx were very noisy and harsh , Bridgestone Potenza 050 less so but still not what I'd call a comfy ride, and Continental PremiumContact 2 were smooth and quiet. All OEM fit in exactly the same size. Why can't we choose when ordering? I'd rather pay more to pick my tyres than put up with rubbish OEM ones for the first 20000 miles or more.

pege63

Apr 10, 2018
Borders
Agree, just come from a wee Citigo (75bhp) that I could chuck around the corners and was great fun, had Bridgestones and then later Michelin.
Ibiza's Falcons (17") are quiet but have felt a bit nervousness in a few bends (mind I think speed was prob 10mph higher...) where the rear end was a bit loose. Not sure if its the tyres or just how the car is set up. Would have liked Michelins or Conti's and will now be faced with whatever Seat provide me with via ATS as its a Lease car and that also means down to minimum tread which I dread...

Last edited:

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
Check the pressures. Dealers often over pressurise the tyre on PDI. This impacts both ride and handling.
My Mustang was a nightmare in high speed corners after it was delivered with 40 psi all round instead of 32. You could feel the stability control dabbing each individual brake in the bends and at 3 figure speeds that felt nothing like "stability".

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
OEM tyres are whatever VW can get cheap. It's amazing how different the cars feel on each one as well. I've driven 3 Toledos on 17s, the Dunlop SP sportmaxx were very noisy and harsh , Bridgestone Potenza 050 less so but still not what I'd call a comfy ride, and Continental PremiumContact 2 were smooth and quiet. All OEM fit in exactly the same size. Why can't we choose when ordering? I'd rather pay more to pick my tyres than put up with rubbish OEM ones for the first 20000 miles or more.

It will be due to your importer not wanting to include "tyre choice" in the possible options - the ability for that option to exist is there, ie it has its own PR code, but at least in UK, that option has not been requested by SEAT UK from SEAT.

pege63

Apr 10, 2018
Borders
Check the pressures. Dealers often over pressurise the tyre on PDI. This impacts both ride and handling.

My Mustang was a nightmare in high speed corners after it was delivered with 40 psi all round instead of 32. You could feel the stability control dabbing each individual brake in the bends and at 3 figure speeds that felt nothing like "stability".

Good idea, will test some settings and see how it behaves

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Agree, just come from a wee Citigo (75bhp) that I could chuck around the corners and was great fun, had Bridgestones and then later Michelin.
Ibiza's Falcons (17") are quiet but have felt a bit nervousness in a few bends (mind I think speed was prob 10mph higher...) where the rear end was a bit loose. .

Just to confirm did you mean Falkens (Ziex?) which are I believe Japanese branded, or Falcons which are some Indian branded tyres, possibly budget ended ones?

Peter

Jan 5, 2018
West Sussex
Ours came with bridgestones; they’re okay but not as grippy as I think they should be, especially in the damp. Ours is a DSG so should be harder to spin the wheels in? It’s all too easy to spin the front wheels pulling away when it’s damp, because it’s not the smoothest gearbox at pulling away (though changes on the move are imperceptible) and the tyres lack grip!

pege63

Apr 10, 2018
Borders
Just to confirm did you mean Falkens (Ziex?) which are I believe Japanese branded, or Falcons which are some Indian branded tyres, possibly budget ended ones?

Car has Falken FK453’s, lowered pressure today to 33/31 from 35 so will check it out over next week n see.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
It’s all too easy to spin the front wheels pulling away when it’s damp, because it’s not the smoothest gearbox at pulling away (though changes on the move are imperceptible) and the tyres lack grip!

It's very stuttery isn't it? from low revs till about 2k. in the Mk6 ibiza it's actually very well controled compared to my Mk5 facelift Ibiza 1.0TSI DSG. You know, putting Esso 97 makes it more smooth upon take off...I don't know why... It's the first automatic/DSG car I've driven that behaves like this, all others are very smooth at take off, this particular engine/DSG combo reminds me of a manual (dropping the clutch) take off.

Cristian CH

Mar 19, 2018
My car came with a full tank and although I have a manual I noticed a difference when I filled up. It has more poke at low revs (when driving off).

pege63

Apr 10, 2018
Borders
Ours came with bridgestones; they’re okay but not as grippy as I think they should be, especially in the damp. Ours is a DSG so should be harder to spin the wheels in? It’s all too easy to spin the front wheels pulling away when it’s damp, because it’s not the smoothest gearbox at pulling away (though changes on the move are imperceptible) and the tyres lack grip!

my DSG is very nice at take off, yes a bit funny with a heavy foot at take off ( I turn out from minor to major on a bend so have the welly it a bit) but overall no issues in my car at all, in fact think it suits the car really well and ACC + DSG is bang on.

Last edited:

Peter

Jan 5, 2018
West Sussex
It's very stuttery isn't it? from low revs till about 2k. in the Mk6 ibiza it's actually very well controled compared to my Mk5 facelift Ibiza 1.0TSI DSG. You know, putting Esso 97 makes it more smooth upon take off...I don't know why... It's the first automatic/DSG car I've driven that behaves like this, all others are very smooth at take off, this particular engine/DSG combo reminds me of a manual (dropping the clutch) take off.

Ours is almost always filled with Shell V Power; the engine is smooth enough on takeoff, but the DSG clutch (is that right?) is very abrupt from a standing start and the Bridgestones loose grip too easily in the wet. You’re right, it’s just as if you dropped the clutch on a manual!! Our A3 e-tron, which also has a DSG box, is much smoother despite the much higher torque of the electric motor...

jeddy74

Feb 11, 2018
Picked mine up yesterday, Michelin Primacy 3s. Not sure what they're like yet.

paulov

May 16, 2016
Derby
Had my orange 1.5 FR just a week now with Dunlop tyres, they seem to perform well are quiet - so happy

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.