Under trey and plastic sump!!

Cuprabenwytm

Jun 17, 2020
Decided to have a look underneath the car today, i seen no full under cover and a plastic sump, whats that about, van you get full covers or a bash plate or something to protect the sump, planned on lowering her
Cheera

Cuprabenwytm

Jun 17, 2020
Penny pinching to the max, found a replacement steel sump 50 pound so thats going on when i do the dogbone mount

Sent from my MRD-LX1 using Tapatalk

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
Whilst plastic (polyamide) versions of the sump are cheaper to make, they do have other positive benefits too:

They are 50-60% lighter than metal equivalents. This allows improvements in handling, and as there is less mass this improves power to weight ratios (performance) and mass (thus improving emissions/fuel economy).

They will be quieter (2dB as a rule of thumb, which is quite a lot on a log scale), as it’s easier to design out areas that vibrate (like a drum skin) at the natural frequencies of the engine.

In terms of the vans with plastic underbody protection, the sumps have to be able to withstand impact testing to the same loads as the metal sump - why do you need a tray, if the sump can be designed to have addition strength to the equivalent of sump and trays?

By not having trays this makes it easier to maintain your car, and thus servicing costs should be cheaper, but due to inflation remain about the same price.

Reactions: Dr.Dash

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
Decided to have a look underneath the car today, i seen no full under cover and a plastic sump, whats that about, van you get full covers or a bash plate or something to protect the sump, planned on lowering her
Cheera

Just been out to have a look at ours; there definitely is an undertray even if it is only made of crappy plastic. Part # 23 in the diagram here:

Cuprabenwytm

Jun 17, 2020
Whilst plastic (polyamide) versions of the sump are cheaper to make, they do have other positive benefits too:

They are 50-60% lighter than metal equivalents. This allows improvements in handling, and as there is less mass this improves power to weight ratios (performance) and mass (thus improving emissions/fuel economy).

They will be quieter (2dB as a rule of thumb, which is quite a lot on a log scale), as it’s easier to design out areas that vibrate (like a drum skin) at the natural frequencies of the engine.

In terms of the vans with plastic underbody protection, the sumps have to be able to withstand impact testing to the same loads as the metal sump - why do you need a tray, if the sump can be designed to have addition strength to the equivalent of sump and trays?

By not having trays this makes it easier to maintain your car, and thus servicing costs should be cheaper, but due to inflation remain about the same price.
Cheaper but surly not as strong, if inwas to lower my baby and accidnetly hit a high speed hump its gunna smash it to bits weres as a nice metal one would have a dint in it, it does have a engine under cover but only a part one, would you recommend installing a full one or just leaving it be

Cuprabenwytm

Jun 17, 2020

Dr.Dash

Aug 30, 2015
Midlands
As black sheep points out they do have their advantages. One man's plastic is another's composite :geek:

Most are Nylon 66 with some GF reinforcement, which is tough stuff. If you hit something hard enough to wreck a sump then I think I'd prefer it to fail rather than be so stong that you are potentially damaging the engine block.

I built a Tiger Super 6 (Caterham 7 style) and put an aluminium sump on that for the extra baffling to stop oil starvation, but it did make me a bit nervous due to its fragility and minimal clearance. Don't ground your car is the simple answer, so practical ride height and driver awareness. (y)

Reactions: Cuprabenwytm

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015

I thought the primary purpose of the tray was to aid aerodynamics?

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
I thought the primary purpose of the tray was to aid aerodynamics?

I think that this may be the case on some high performance cars (Venturi effect) and on a few eco cars (to reduce drag).

I was always led to believe that the main reasons for the under tray were: i) to prevent debris and excess water entering the engine bay; ii) creates a low pressure area in the engine bay (via aerodynamics) which improves cooling across the rads/charge air coolers etc using the Bernoulli principle to suck air into the engine bay.

Cuprabenwytm

Jun 17, 2020
I think that this may be the case on some high performance cars (Venturi effect) and on a few eco cars (to reduce drag).

I was always led to believe that the main reasons for the under tray were: i) to prevent debris and excess water entering the engine bay; ii) creates a low pressure area in the engine bay (via aerodynamics) which improves cooling across the rads/charge air coolers etc using the Bernoulli principle to suck air into the engine bay.
My old audi a1 2.0 tdi had a full under tray and that did classify as eco on insurnace lol

Yern

Apr 25, 2019
I swear they would build the whole car out of Lego if they thought they could get away with it.
eurobricks_seat_challenge_leon_mkiii_cupra_3dr_b.png

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise