Tell

Updating the inbuilt Mib2 Satnav / Mib2 tricks and Mib1

Tell

Staff member
Only the last one on a mib2 you can't do as a DIY task in your own home (mib2 high). First one, mib2 standard you can manufacture your own SD card with a cloned CID (on the thread) or just buy any mib2 VAG sd card if you have lost one (much easier and costs the same) and follow lost card instructions on the thread includes the workaround method using Seat v1 card image for the overall.nds file which you need which is the universal fix if you have lost the original overall.nds file paired to the unit. E.g. bought a car with mib2 standard but without the card with it. (Possibly pushed in the CD slot it happens :sick:).

"Lifetime Mapcare" on a mib2 standard can be achieved by just copying the overall.nds file that's on the original card paired to the unit to the updated maps (Exciter method). No need to send the unit to anyone.

Just leaves mib1 standard and high where DIY isn't possible and ofcourse mib2 high. UK based outfits can do the latter, never got round to enquiring on the former. I can't imagine they don't have the knowledge. More pressing need at the time of getting their handy work on my mib2 high unit right than go off on a tangent on their mib1 abilities :). Floated that one up a few times or just replace your mib1 with a mib2 if you think your car is deserving of an upgrade. DIY project (there are threads on the net but pit falls which you can read about) or give the task to a retrofitter.

(card in CD slot :sick: = just buy the release keys from your favourite online store, remove one lead to ease forward, unscrew the top and fish out what you dropped in it... YouTube videos on that, breaks any warranty you might have... You only make that mistake once then learn how to feel the SD slot from the CD slot... only happens on compact cars where you can't see the unit in the glove box:unsure:)

Reactions: slartibartfast

CupraRST

Feb 25, 2020
NL
This week I visited a dealer in the Netherlands and talked about updating the maps in the Navi Plus systems. I was told that beginning with model year 2019 all SEAT's sold in Europe (excluded the UK cars) are provided wth a lifetime Mapcare, so can be updated by the owner for free.
Why UK cars are excluded, they could not tell. That can be either because there's a difference between rhd and lhd driven cars, or it has financial reasons by agreements between the SEAT factory and SEAT UK.

Reactions: Tell and Walone

Tell

Staff member
It would be great if they did that in the UK.... saying this sure this wasn't the one year complimentary mapcare first offered. They did not use to be sold with this but checking your build codes you can see it appear as a line. The navigation high FeC check I provided over on the Ateca forum and the thread is the double check. If like Skodas Seat would have to run with different firmware that omitted Mapcare or just set the FeC high in the unit. Would be interesting to get this collaborated. The German Ateca forum still appears to be moaning on the subject. Just follow the instructions and see what it says:

VAG group could just enable it on all existing Seats by setting future map releases with the Hex check set low... that's if they wanted to be helpful. That's as if you are installing old maps in the unit which is allowed, a feature of Mapcare.

Building myself a German Ateca I got this. Still chargeable, the free bit is the non updatable maps I'd say. The other option is the 3 year fixed one unless anyone says anything different. I.e. no change on the continent but can be checked by anyone over there against the link above where the navigation FeC would take you beyond three years if the dealer story was correct. Did a few Googles, the situation is as is. Limited mapcare, not free for life in Europe on Seats. Their pet moan on the German Ateca Forum is that the three year Mapcare bought for a token figure starts on the build day, with delivery delays you miss the full three years (6 updates). Three years on the price is rammed up to 500 Euros or so for the next three years. Antagonism of Mapcare goes on. Buy a VW or Skoda and it is free for life of the car.

In summary, a dealer yarn.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200813-134007.png
    Screenshot_20200813-134007.png
    44.8 KB · Views: 242
Last edited:

CupraRST

Feb 25, 2020
NL
It would be great if they did that in the UK.... saying this sure this wasn't the one year complimentary mapcare first offered. They did not use to be sold with this but checking your build codes you can see it appear as a line. The navigation high FeC check I provided over on the Ateca forum and the thread is the double check. If like Skodas Seat would have to run with different firmware that omitted Mapcare or just set the FeC high in the unit. Would be interesting to get this collaborated. The German Ateca forum still appears to be moaning on the subject. Just follow the instructions and see what it says:

VAG group could just enable it on all existing Seats by setting future map releases with the Hex check set low... that's if they wanted to be helpful. That's as if you are installing old maps in the unit which is allowed, a feature of Mapcare.

Building myself a German Ateca I got this. Still chargeable, the free bit is the non updatable maps I'd say. The other option is the 3 year fixed one unless anyone says anything different. I.e. no change on the continent but can be checked by anyone over there against the link above where the navigation FeC would take you beyond three years if the dealer story was correct. Did a few Googles, the situation is as is. Limited mapcare, not free for life in Europe on Seats. Their pet moan on the German Ateca Forum is that the three year Mapcare bought for a token figure starts on the build day, with delivery delays you miss the full three years (6 updates). Three years on the price is rammed up to 500 Euros or so for the next three years. Antagonism of Mapcare goes on. Buy a VW or Skoda and it is free for life of the car.

In summary, a dealer yarn.

I followed the steps you described in the linked post and found the line starting with 073.
The full code is:
073000ee stated as "valid".

So now I'm curious to know what that means. Can you help me out? Thank you!

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
I followed the steps you decribed in the linked post and found the line starting with 073.
The full code is:
073000ee stated as "valid".

So now I'm curious to know what that means. Can you help me out? Thank you!

It means it's at the end of the table

Which would mean pretty unlimited. Keep you going to the year 2074[$]. That's the code you need in the retrofit units.

I'd like some report backs from other Navigation Plus users on the continent and the UK now just in case this change has weedled it's way out into units being shipped. This is an unmodded unit you have the're?.

[$] 2020 +((255−37)÷4) based on the Hex table and validation points we have.... to be set at the end point means someone knows what they are doing :eek:.

Using

Hex 25 is June 2020, Dec 37, ee Dec 255. Navigation FeC index runs in steps of 4 by year. Hence divide by 4 and add 2020 back on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Walone

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow

Which would mean pretty unlimited. Keep you going to the year 2074[$]. That's the code you need in the retrofit units.

I'd like some report backs from other Navigation Plus users on the continent and the UK now just in case this change has weedled it's way out into units being shipped. This is an unmodded unit you have the're?.

[$] 2020 +((255−37)÷4) based on the Hex table and validation points we have.... to be set at the end point means someone knows what they are doing :eek:
This is looking good!

Reactions: Tell

Tell

Staff member
This is looking good!

Need to find out whether this was a retrofit unit or production and whether anybody else has that FeC navigation code. It has been known that units leave the Ateca factory with Mapcare on them when they shouldn't, may be they are now making Mapcare for life in certain locations as was suggested. If that's the case perhaps those people that pay the 120 Euros or whatever it was get it for life. In the UK we don't have that option.

Still the navigation FeC 073000ee is a good one to have from a retro-fitter :cool:. Must insist next time.

Tell

Staff member
Ok wearing my researcher hat did a google on 073000ee ;).

Good stuff here. The German thread is about the 877 / 877a hardware issue on Poi import which we know the answer to now, needed the new unit descriptor in the poi import else the firmware ignored it... but has a handy table, also tallies with my decode table which we like.

They start exchanging FeCs on their My2019 Leons, post 49 is the good one:

https://www.seat-leon.de/forum/threads/pois-beim-mj19-navi.120938/page-3

》》
I'll attach all the FSC / FECs used by SEAT.
So everyone can decipher their function :)
codes (applies to MJ19)

Main functions
00030000AMI Enable / USB
00030001Gracenote DB EU
00050000Bluetooth Enable
00060200Infotainment control (SAI_RSE)
00060300Mirror Link
00060400Sports HMI
00060800Apple Carplay
00060900Google Automotive Link
00070100SDS Speech Dialog System (voice control)
00070200SDS Speech Dialog System (voice control) for navigation
00040100Ready4Nav - navigation function activated
Navigation plus
0730001CDB_EU_MIB2_HIGH_SEAT_45_17
0730001EDB_EU_MIB2_HIGH_SEAT_22_18
07300020DB_EU_MIB2_HIGH_SEAT_45_18
07300022DB_EU_MIB2_HIGH_SEAT_22_19
07300024DB_EU_MIB2_HIGH_SEAT_45_19
07300026DB_EU_MIB2_HIGH_SEAT_22_20
07300028DB_EU_MIB2_HIGH_SEAT_45_20
073000EEDB_EU_MIB2_HIGH_SEAT_Lifetime_Mapcare
Navigation standard
07400000DB_EU_MIB_STD_GEN2_SEAT_SOP1
0740000CDB_EU_MIB_STD_GEN2_SEAT_45_17
0740000EDB_EU_MIB_STD_GEN2_SEAT_22_18
07400010DB_EU_MIB_STD_GEN2_SEAT_45_18
07400012DB_EU_MIB_STD_GEN2_SEAT_22_19
07400014DB_EU_MIB_STD_GEN2_SEAT_45_19
07400016DB_EU_MIB_STD_GEN2_SEAT_22_20
07400018DB_EU_MIB_STD_GEN2_SEAT_45_20
074000EEDB_EU_MIB_STD_GEN2_SEAT_Lifetime_Mapcare
》》

& there we have the high and standard navigation FeCs, EE is defined as Lifetime.

Last edited:

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
Need to find out whether this was a retrofit unit or production and whether anybody else has that FeC navigation code. It has been known that units leave the Ateca factory with Mapcare on them when they shouldn't, may be they are now making Mapcare for life in certain locations as was suggested. If that's the case perhaps those people that pay the 120 Euros or whatever it was get it for life. In the UK we don't have that option.

Still the navigation FeC 073000ee is a good one to have from a retro-fitter :cool:. Must insist next time.
I'm still waiting to hear back from Tom/Blazej (Vagtec) about their failure to update my map FEC, I suspect I will have to pay someone else to do it!

Tell

Staff member
I'm still waiting to hear back from Tom/Blazej (Vagtec) about their failure to update my map FEC, I suspect I will have to pay someone else to do it!

& this will test whether you need new firmware or whether the FeC package is independent and just needs replacing with someone else's handy work. The FeC package is tailored to the firmware so you might as well get a firmware update if there was one you wanted. The old one quoted is that the firmware is regular but the FeC package isn't so you would expect that can be changed.

I'm sure Tom and Blaze can raise to the occasion if they are still working together. The correction they gave me free but didn't have the EE on the end :devilish:. Knowledge is everything. But we did have issues with TSR working in KPH, think that may have been due to enabling the maps before correcting the FeC since I know when the maps are deactivated TSR reverts to KPH. It was OK first time round but got the problem. They fixed the problem with the dump they had taken from the unit a year before restoring the settings.

What we know now on the high is to make sure your retrofitter gives you the 073000EE FeC, thanks @CupraRST for identifying what has been going on in Europe on Seat Mapcare offering.

CupraRST

Feb 25, 2020
NL

[$] 2020 +((255−37)÷4) based on the Hex table and validation points we have.... to be set at the end point means someone knows what they are doing :eek:.

Using

Hex 25 is June 2020, Dec 37, ee Dec 255. Navigation FeC index runs in steps of 4 by year. Hence divide by 4 and add 2020 back on.

@Tell Thanks a lot for all your explaining. It's a bit like coded language to me, but I can follow the main lines. And I'm very happy with the Lifetime Mapcare till 2074, wow!

I can confirm that the Navi Plus unit in my Cupra R ST (2019) is completely stock, it was ordered the same time I ordered the car (being standard in this car, at least in the Netherlands), there was no option on the order form to order any type of Mapcare with it, the firmware is still the same. So it seems that the Lifetime Mapcare was indeed part of it!

Reactions: Walone and Tell

CupraRST

Feb 25, 2020
NL
I do have a question about the downloaded map update for the Navi Plus, compared to the already installed version:

The in car version is V03959802MN0172 (ECE 2019), so seems to be version 172 from 2019.

The file I downloaded 2 weeks ago from https://www.seat.com/owners/my-seat/navigation/leon-navi-system-plus.html (25,3 Gb, called EU_HIGH_T176.zip) seems to be version 176, so it should be a couple of versions newer. But inside the unzipped package there is an Excel file with the inside message
T176_N60S5MIBH3_EU_NT_Q3.18
being the product name. And that shows that it is the version from quarter 3 in 2018. So it should be older than the currently installed version???

While starting the update process (that I didn't do yet) is there an automated version check to permit only updating to a newer version, so preventing making a step (or more) back? This feels scary to me...

Reactions: Tell

Tell

Staff member
@CupraRST just in case it got lost in your question since you have unlimited Mapcare on a high you just use the VW map update site instructions since the Seat map update site tends to lag behind VW and the servers are faster:

You select say a recent Tiguan (2019) and Discover Pro unit, that is the Seat Plus unit (mib2 high), select download. The VW instructions are on the PDF, well written, 7 zip can be downloaded from the link. You are advised on a PC to only use 7 zip. If a Mac you need to use CleanMydrive on the SD card after the copy and the VW recommended Mac unzip “Keka” .

The units import needs to read exactly what was downloaded. It does a signature check. If there is an issue it will not start the update process off. Forums tend to be full of these issues for the high but as long as one does not vary from VW instructions and your navigation high FeC is fine. It will go ahead.

For a PC best to download and unzip to a local drive, then copy the contents to the SD card, you need a 32gb standard SD card, class 10, Fat 32 format. People mess this bit up by formatting the card to something other than Fat 32. You can use a USB if you want, probably better with SD card. Then once installed in the unit and triggered off it will do the update over a period of time restarting from where it left off, if you stop and start the car. 1-2 hours.

Retrofit you use the backend menu which won't be available to you. Some Leon mib2 high owners in the UK with the fixed delivery one year Mapcare have done it that way (VW route front screen), basically all Skoda owners without connect services use the VW site. All the same maps but released later although Seat did put out some odd quarters at one stage probably by accident. They do have recent mib2 standard South America and Middle East maps thou that VW aren't publishing so not all bad.

I have a bit more here:

187 is the current release (June 2020). It's the standard map we are waiting on.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200815-124712.png
    Screenshot_20200815-124712.png
    52.6 KB · Views: 220
  • 20200815_124917.png
    20200815_124917.png
    104.2 KB · Views: 222
  • 20200815_125032.png
    20200815_125032.png
    78.8 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
I do have a question about the downloaded map update for the Navi Plus, compared to the already installed version:

The in car version is V03959802MN0172 (ECE 2019), so seems to be version 172 from 2019.

The file I downloaded 2 weeks ago from https://www.seat.com/owners/my-seat/navigation/leon-navi-system-plus.html (25,3 Gb, called EU_HIGH_T176.zip) seems to be version 176, so it should be a couple of versions newer. But inside the unzipped package there is an Excel file with the inside message
T176_N60S5MIBH3_EU_NT_Q3.18
being the product name. And that shows that it is the version from quarter 3 in 2018. So it should be older than the currently installed version???

While starting the update process (that I didn't do yet) is there an automated version check to permit only updating to a newer version, so preventing making a step (or more) back? This feels scary to me...

Crossed posts see above. Use the VW download. That is the most recent direct link:

And eyeball VW pdf

CupraRST

Feb 25, 2020
NL
@Tell
Thank you again Tell, you are such a great help!
I will be going to read myself into this VW route.
Is there no risk of loosing any of the Cupra (Leon ST) signs (like the bronze Cupra lettering in the starting screen, the Cupra flag in the digital cockpit, the car pictures within the driving aids, etc.) while going the VW route? Are they stored elsewhere?

And just in case: Is there any update safety build in the system, making it impossible to accidently downgrade to an older version while trying to upgrade?

Have a nice weekend! (That goes to all of you!)

Tell

Staff member
@Tell
Thank you again Tell, you are such a great help!
I will be going to read myself into this VW route.
Is there no risk of loosing any of the Cupra (Leon ST) signs (like the bronze Cupra lettering in the starting screen, the Cupra flag in the digital cockpit, the car pictures within the driving aids, etc.) while going the VW route? Are they stored elsewhere?

And just in case: Is there any update safety build in the system, making it impossible to accidently downgrade to an older version while trying to upgrade?

Have a nice weekend! (That goes to all of you!)

You won't loose your Cupra icons they are controlled by VCDS. They are stored elsewhere. It only updates the maps. Saved destinations and user POIs are left as is as well. Just the map memory.

With regard to downgrading a built in feature is that you can downgrade as well as upgrade, latter controlled by FeCs. So as long as the map series number is greater than what you have it's an upgrade. It will also show that on the screen once you have finished. Information / about what ever that option is.

Whilst running the update on the unit in the background disables navigation during the process you should come out the other end fine. Some people drive to work, turn the engine off, drive back and find the maps updated. You can always sit with the car with the engine running for the period :). The unit powers off about 20 minutes after the door is last closed with the engine off. You can do it off battery, least in the developer mode which is how I do opening the door every 15 minutes / visit the car twice. Does take longer the front end way (up to two hours) but the advantage is it remembers where it got to and will start up again if it looses power from where it got to, developers menu, no you have to start again from scratch. It is designed to be updated the way you will do it.

If you have any doubts this is where it was done using the front screen using the UK not for life Mapcare using the VW download:

I was a spoil sport and worked out when their Mapcare would run out @paddy6789 given their FeC codes from Walone ;).

So Paddy can tell you how it went that way. It's just the normal VAG high map update using the timely VW website.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2020
I'm a bit confused. I have updated my 2016 VW Polo to the latest maps (AUSTRALIA 1420 v12.7), but my SHIELD VERSION is still showing:

SHIELD 2016-03 (build 020)

How do I upgrade this so it is showing SHIELD 2016-44 (build 309) like others have in this thread?

Tell

Staff member
I'm a bit confused. I have updated my 2016 VW Polo to the latest maps (AUSTRALIA 1420 v12.7), but my SHIELD VERSION is still showing:

SHIELD 2016-03 (build 020)

How do I upgrade this so it is showing SHIELD 2016-44 (build 309) like others have in this thread?

I believe the shield is related to the hardware / firmware which obviously is fixed in a map update. You have a VW Polo and everybody else more or less has a Seat on the thread. You can run a Google on SHIELD 2016-03 (build 020) SHIELD 2016-44 (build 309) both in the query, the question has been asked but I can see no answer yet... The build 020 seems to come up against Skoda and VW units a lot although there are some Seats with it.

I would not worry about it. The main thing is the maps are updated. Somebody might give you a better answer who is into the hardware. Take it as a fact of life. I ruled out its not related to you living in Australia with the Ozzie maps :). I have always ignored the shield line as technical gibberish, the map serial number is the important one within the zone of release. It's probably a boot loader for QNX / version which the unit runs on rather than anything too special. Some run on one, the others run on another and they (VAG) are the two they contracted for with QNX (now owned by BlackBerry) for the mib 2 standard. The Tegra processor in the mib2 is made by Nvidia and Nvidia like to use the name "shield" in their products.... (get a prize for the best answer ?). Suspect the programmers titled the box "shield" inline with other Nvidia products.

Last edited:

CupraRST

Feb 25, 2020
NL
You won't loose your Cupra icons they are controlled by VCDS. They are stored elsewhere. It only updates the maps. Saved destinations and user POIs are left as is as well. Just the map memory.

With regard to downgrading a built in feature is that you can downgrade as well as upgrade, latter controlled by FeCs. So as long as the map series number is greater than what you have it's an upgrade. It will also show that on the screen once you have finished. Information / about what ever that option is.

Whilst running the update on the unit in the background disables navigation during the process you should come out the other end fine. Some people drive to work, turn the engine off, drive back and find the maps updated. You can always sit with the car with the engine running for the period :). The unit powers off about 20 minutes after the door is last closed with the engine off. You can do it off battery, least in the developer mode which is how I do opening the door every 15 minutes / visit the car twice. Does take longer the front end way (up to two hours) but the advantage is it remembers where it got to and will start up again if it looses power from where it got to, developers menu, no you have to start again from scratch. It is designed to be updated the way you will do it.

If you have any doubts this is where it was done using the front screen using the UK not for life Mapcare using the VW download:

I was a spoil sport and worked out when their Mapcare would run out @paddy6789 given their FeC codes from Walone ;).

So Paddy can tell you how it went that way. It's just the normal VAG high map update using the timely VW website.

@Tell
In the meantime i've downloaded the zipped update file P187_N60S5MIBH3_EU_NT.7z from the VW map update page.
I also ordered a new SDHC card, because I didn't want to empty any of my cards already in use. So just waiting till that arrives, before unpacking this zipped file to it.
And than the big moment/hours of updating. It worked for @paddy6789 , so I'm hopefull it will work for me too!

Reactions: paddy6789 and Tell

Tell

Staff member
MIB3 Standard / High

Just when you think the music has stopped, stumbled over the new MIB3 Standard map up load file for the Leon 4 and I believe Ateca 2020... now where is @exciter these days. The download can be viewed on the VW site under a Tiguan 2020 Discover Media. Different to Mib 2 / 2.5 however those little NDS file pop out at you and overall.nds files are scattered around. eg.

C:\Users\Mate\Downloads\EUR_4PR031_FCT3WS-19144_Offline_Update.tar\MIB31_EUWO.UR5001\

It's snuggled up with other files as Mib2 standard which we recognise. I don't know whether the workaround works or whether the stable door got bolted up before the horse left it. Don't have a MIB3 standard unit and it will be a time. The .db files look interesting.

The question anyone with a Leon 4 / Ateca 2020 who is familiar with the workaround and has maps could give it a go - all risk to them. Reading the PDF on the link to the MIB3 Standard which gives you the VW process it appears there is no map card in these units now since the data import is via USB C. Like MIB2 High if the maps are held within and you force an incorrect copy you could have a problem. They may be validated to stop you doing this.

Raises a few question as to where your base overall.nds file is stored. Say for example you are on June 2020 maps you would take a copy of that download then that overall.nds file would be the one you would use in the future. If your car has come with old maps then you would be looking for that version...

Direct download link is this

• Does the workaround work for future releases ?.
  • What download are we currently on for Leon 2020 uses... (June 2020 ?)
  • Do the UK ones now come with Mapcare beyond a year or free now or is it more of the same ?. (build codes will tell you that)

However there is a nasty signature appearing in the file PACKAGE.SLIST which might lock down the whole lot from wandering fingers. Sorry to break the news if that's the case. Let's hope Seat have seen sense and have adopted the same licensing of the product across the VAG group.

The Maps are getting on for 32 GB about the same size as the MIB2 high ones.

Doesn't stop here either... the Discover Pro maps (MIB3 High) is the same map upload as the Discover Standard assuming VW haven't messed up what they have on their screens (the two files are byte to byte identical). What Seat UK's version of the high might become apparent at some stage. Needs further research of the difference of the VW offering.

The press pack for the VW Mib3 covers the difference. Juke box isn't the salient point now of the two, but Smart connectivity:

New functions and an extensively redesigned menu navigation have
been introduced in the “Discover Media” and “Discover Pro” navigations
systems. They belong to the third generation of the modular infotainment
matrix (MIB3). The superior “Discover Pro” navigation system is now also
equipped with “App Connect Wireless”. This means that “Apple CarPlay™”
can be used to integrate many iPhone apps wirelessly.

&

In connection with “Discover Pro”, compatible Samsung
smartphones can serve as vehicle keys.

The processor is also said to run at 10 times the speed in Mib3 against Mib2.

Switching to looking at the Leon 4 user manual

https://secure-www.seat.ru/content/...03&_charset_=UTF-8&chapter=MOD-NAV&category=1

Appropriate section attached. For off-line updates USB-C is the only way of updating the maps, online is via the connected services as you pass through region's. Maps would appear to be stored in the unit like the mib2 high not on an SD card.

The data structure of the off-line maps in the download relates to the text. The fragmentation of the map files and repetition of some of the files we recognise from the standard mib2 unit, that's to say they have adopted the Mib2 standard's indexing method into the geographical data rather than the Mib2 High.

Current material does not make it clear whether Mapcare is abandoned as a product or not on Leon 4s in the UK. German configurator shows Mapcare as "free". Whether there are time-scales to free is not known.

UK configurator 'Online infotainment: 12 month subscription included: Online map update, Online traffic information, Online route calculation, Parking and petrol stations'.

Is it free offline ?.

20200828_072635.png

So there we have it. The standard and high units operate on the same map downloads as each other based on the VW site, these are now more engineered around the standard mib2 file structure than the previous mib2 high. Maps are contained in the unit like the high. The cartography could be loaded from either of the VAG sources Here or TomTom. Does not necassary mean the the unit is more of a standard than a high, just that the database indexing is similar to the standard.

The Home / cog wheel / System Information as above gives you the map version. For anyone with the system a comparison of that with the gleaned VW one as per the download, may place the units map against the VW site. Updates via the car online system. If Mapcare was a part of the system and was due to run out knowing you had a more up-to-date system than the VW would give a chance at a workaround if one existed. Any overall.nds files would be in an older version than the one in the car. That component would be the one to use if indeed a workaround is available and is required. I don't reckon a workaround is likely on the input given the signed package upload in the file PACKAGE.SLIST - think that's the check. If Mapcare is still operable then it's going to be a FEC adjustment as the MIB2 High. Check on the FECs may also resolve whether Mapcare FECs have vanished which would be good news. They don't appear on Skoda units these days.

Time will probably tell on what has happened to Mapcare in the UK on Mib 3, whether map updates are free for offline or not. Online is pay. Offline they are free in Europe given that Mapcare is shown as free on Seat Germany, so assume it's the same deal as VW and Skoda for them or is it time limited to a year say ?. That just leaves the question of whether Mapcare is now "free" in the UK ie. Scrapped for Mib 3.

Thinking about putting dealer spin to one side the only way of sorting this out is the scientific method ;), take the VIN of vehicle with the new system, look it up on ErWin scanning the build codes for 'Mapcare'. Also get the FEC codes up on the infotainment screen if they have not moved away from that. The Mapcare ones have a format pattern, 0XXyyyy etc (currently 073 & 074 for Seat high and standard). If neither the build codes mention Mapcare and we can not see Mapcare type of FEC codes then it will be looking good. Currently build codes for mib2 mention Mapcare with duration or without when the complementary one year one was not on UK cars. It will be bad news if a fixed duration is found or without mapcare. Not mentioning Mapcare is the best outcome that's if you dont want to cough up on paying an annual Seat eSim connect fee whatever that will be which will cover online updates.

Further reading, VW Mib3 maps on the Passat are updated twice a year, four times via the eSim. See whether that comes to Seat. Suspect the VW preferred site map source for off line, uses the same sequencing file structure so it can be taken from there rather than the Seat map download site. A visual check on the maps revealed Mib3 maps used Here Maps Cartography but an older version to the Mib2 High VW 184 at this time, in keeping with Seat maps lagging behind in the release (Sept 2020 car in a dealership).

Seat call them all Navigation Plus now in mib3 form. Some are more Plus than the other. The old mib2 plus had 3D building annotation on it, the mib2 high, this had the build code ZN2 on the mib2 high, still ZN2 on the mib3 plus. The standard has the code ZN1. Notably nothing in the glove box. ZN2 should be visible with SD card slot(s). Playing music via the new mib3 "standard" ZN1 via CD or SD will be curtailed. Still got USB-C with a dongle one suspects.

I posted up two build code lists on the Leon 4 thread which I got via a VIN lookup, if anybody is interested.

Been into the FEC menu on a dealer car... no sign of navigation FECs we would recognise in Mib2. I saw there was a software update icon. Didnt find user POIs. Needs people with mib3 to unearth things. Really need people like @exciter (Stefan) (aka the standard workaround) and others who have the unit to understand how it functions. Early days yet.

As I said before it's Here Maps cartography with some pretty nice digitised features if I say that myself :unsure:.

Last edited:
Reactions: Med and sebastalian
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.