Tell

Updating the inbuilt Mib2 Satnav / Mib2 tricks and Mib1

Zix

Mar 31, 2014
From what I understood there is nothing you can do unless you pay for the updates.

joker_fr

Apr 15, 2014
It is not possible that it was so protected. Maybe just modify these (Engine Control Module 2) values​​?

Don't forget what's in the J794 module.

Here's what's in mine when I did a scan.

<CODE>
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 5F: Information Electr. (J794) Labels: None
Part No SW: 5F0 035 858 A HW: 5F0 035 858 A
Component: MU-S-ND-ER 040 0407
Serial number: E5F00506132498
Coding: 04730001FF0A000021111101000800002F0101060100010046
Shop #: WSC 00049 770 00125
ASAM Dataset: EV_MUStd6C3PASE 002029
ROD: EV_MUStd6C3PASE_SE37.rod
VCID: 29591B2F480CF956E3D-807C

Media Player Position 1:
Subsystem 1 - Part No SW: 5F0 919 603 A HW: 5F0 919 603 A
Component: ABTmin_Std_Nv H45 0020
Serial number: SEZ8Z9N5600NSR

Engine Control Module 2:
Subsystem 2 - Part No SW: 5F0 919 866 C HW: -----------
Component: ECE 2013 --- 0021
Serial number: --------------------

No fault code found.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
</CODE>

This matches what the SavNav sees when the SD Card is installed.
"Navigation database: 5F0919866C 0021 ECE 2013". See Setup / System Information on the Media System Plus.

yaffa0

From what I understood there is nothing you can do unless you pay for the updates.

True, unless you are dedicated hacker with tools and knowledge. Risk is that you ruin that original SD card of yours.

My opinion is that 130-150 EUR is not that much money if you consider that it offers three years of updates. It is also very little money compared to what the car costs. You have to value your personal time somehow as well. If you spend hours and hours for this thing... is it really worth it?

CyberGene

Apr 26, 2008
Sofia, Bulgaria
yaffa, this is a useful explanation.

I can see that on SEAT Bulgaria website, it is also possible to buy Mapcare with the car which allows free updates for three years. I guess it is just something in the Nav unit that will allow those same free updates we downloaded from Skoda/VW to work for Seat for three years.

What I am really pissed at is the fact this option wasn't available when I have ordered my Leon. I guess that's what we get buying SEATs. All in all, they are the cheapest brand in the group and as a result some stuff is really neglected and thoughtless.

On the other hand, I believe Mapcare should be retrofittable, i.e. this is just a setting in the Nav unit. I hope the guys that are good with the VCDS (I haven't used it so far and to be honest I am slightly concerned about doing something wrong to my car) can figure out how we can reprogram it so that it will allow free map updates.

And lastly, 195 EUR for a single update is plain ridiculous.

P.S. I agree 150 EUR is not that much for free updates for three years and I am ready to pay that to SEAT if they can retrofit it to my Leon. If not, I am more inclined to do some hacking rather than pay 195 EUR for each update.

Last edited:

ma9mwah

Aug 13, 2009
This sounds very much like there's a setting within VCDS that does allow the downloaded maps to work. Just need to find out what it is, though this might need somebody to do a VCDS Auto Scan before and after having it switched on by a dealer.

yaffa0

And lastly, 195 EUR for a single update is plain ridiculous.

P.S. I agree 150 EUR is not that much for free updates for three years and I am ready to pay that to SEAT if they can retrofit it to my Leon. If not, I am more inclined to do some hacking rather than pay 195 EUR for each update.

I totally agree with you. 195 EUR per update is definitely too much. However, I am not sure is that the price per update or is the car after that "free", so that you would be able to get all the updates from that point onwards...

Anyway, when the first update is available I will post here some details. Then you know how it works with the Map Care. And I have to add, that this is also new thing here in Finland. The dealer told me that I was one of the first (if not the first) customer to buy Map Care in greater Helsinki area.

This topic actually leads me to another guestion regarding SD cards. I know this is off the topic but does anybody know what is the maximum size of SD card that Leon MK3 accepts? I know that 64 GB should be ok, but what about 128 GB? Has anybody tried out?

Last edited by a moderator:

The Doctor

This topic actually leads me to another guestion regarding SD cards. I know this is off the topic but does anybody know what is the maximum size of SD card that Leon MK3 accepts? I know that 64 GB should be ok, but what about 128 GB? Has anybody tried out?

It takes SDHC and SDXC so should be fine with 128, however there is a 4000 files limit do I haven't needed more than 32. Save your cash and sick with the smaller SD cards.

nokiauk

Feb 9, 2003
Edinburgh
I'm guessing updates may now be available but no mention from seat uk or anything but on the navigation.com website (same one that supplies Golf/Octavia updates) there is now downloadable maps:

Linky

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
True, unless you are dedicated hacker with tools and knowledge. Risk is that you ruin that original SD card of yours.

My opinion is that 130-150 EUR is not that much money if you consider that it offers three years of updates. It is also very little money compared to what the car costs. You have to value your personal time somehow as well. If you spend hours and hours for this thing... is it really worth it?

I agree with what others have said, it is a lot of money for an update
Especially when for not much more than £30 you can buy the latest sat navigation maps for the UK and the whole of Europe :)
O and it comes with a 6 inch screened sat navigation device and some leads as well;)

dieselface

Jul 1, 2010
I've downloaded it but my SD card slot is broken so need to borrow a reader from work! I'm not a big nav user so not really fussed just be interesting to see if it's doable.

ma9mwah

Aug 13, 2009
currently downloading it, but I'm not hopeful that it will work. My guess would be you need the mapcare option switched on within the car for it to work. But 30-40mins and we'll find out.

FRTSIman

Aug 2, 2013
Ok guess someone needs to find out how to activate map care then?

I've searched SEAT UK for the MapCare option, but cannot find any information at all, so maybe this option isn't available in the UK?

I also looked at the http://www.navigation.com map update download instructions page for SEAT, where they say:

"Do not rewrite on the original SD card if you are not absolutely sure that you have the MapCare service!
Rewriting the SD card without hiring the MapCare service may cause data loss!"

joker_fr

Apr 15, 2014
"Do not rewrite on the original SD card if you are not absolutely sure that you have the MapCare service!
Rewriting the SD card without hiring the MapCare service may cause data loss!"

Where sd card or my car knows that the service has MapCare - it's stupid! Why, then, you're able to navigation.com as the ability to update is locked?

Last edited:

twf

Mar 8, 2014
Has anybody had any success copying the original sat nav card to a new sd card? I’ve tried copying using Windows, Linux and image copying tools – all without any luck. The back up sd card has all the same files and FAT32 format but the sat nav unit won’t recognised it.

Given that it looks like you can’t make a working backup of the original sd card; has anyone been brave enough to copy over their original sd card with the updated maps in Nokiauk's link?
As FRTSIMan points out the web site says "Do not rewrite on the original SD card if you are not absolutely sure that you have the MapCare service! Rewriting the SD card without hiring the MapCare service may cause data loss!"

ma9mwah

Aug 13, 2009
Seems that are friends over on a Dutch forum have this working fine with mapcare. Just need somebody who can speak Dutch to ask them if its possible to switch on mapcare with VCDS, or what their dealer did to enable it.

nokiauk

Feb 9, 2003
Edinburgh
Seems that are friends over on a Dutch forum have this working fine with mapcare. Just need somebody who can speak Dutch to ask them if its possible to switch on mapcare with VCDS, or what their dealer did to enable it.

When I downloaded the map and tried it this generated an error in Module 5F in VCDS, not sure if this is the area to be looking in or not, I've asked an Octavia owner to obtain a map from 5F off their car as Skoda get free updates.

I asked my dealer yesterday on map updates and they said to download it as its not something they can do, I said this didn't work so they are going to check and get back to me.

I've also registered on the Dutch forum as asked about mapcare and VCDS, so shall see what happens.