Tell

Updating the inbuilt Mib2 Satnav / Mib2 tricks and Mib1

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
I have it on good authority that the Map Care system is for Europe only and is not coming to SEAT UK any time in the foreseeable future..

Looks like it's one year at a time updates then. Kerr-ching

nokiauk

Feb 9, 2003
Edinburgh
I've been advised that uk cars from week 22/23 should possibly be able to use the downloadable maps not sure if anyone with a new car has tried this or not. Mine will prob be 17/18 and therefore doesn't work. Awaiting a further update shortly.

nokiauk

Feb 9, 2003
Edinburgh
Mine was via customer care, still investigating and apparently need factory confirmation, I did ask about what would happen if mine was determined to be an early car and not covered by free updates and was told that would be decided later depending on outcome of investigations.

Rob2k68

Jun 11, 2014
Rugby
Hi, wonder if you guys can shed any light on this ? I have software version 0407 and have just purchased the new maps genuine and sealed from ebay part no. 5F0.919.866.F yet I get the error saying that the data on the SD card are not valid. Am I doing something stupid or maybe I need a later software ???

Cheers,
Rob.

nokiauk

Feb 9, 2003
Edinburgh
Interesting official software doesn't work, similar to experiences on a Dutch forum, this reminds me I must chase up Seat CS on Nav issue tomorrow.

JK1

May 15, 2002
Bedford
Visit site
I chased them up after they said they'd investigate the issue and 2 weeks later heard nothing. Had an email to say it had been passed to a customer relations manager and I'd have direct contact with them in 48 hours, that was Wednesday afternoon so time's running out!

JK1

May 15, 2002
Bedford
Visit site
They did say they would call last week if they had anything new to tell me. I didn't hear anything and I'm busy this week so won't be able to chase. If I've not heard anything next week I'll give them another poke...

wiganlad81

Mar 27, 2013
So i finally managed to get the dealer to make good on their salesman's promise of 3 year free sat nav updates. I got given the card for the most recent version on Thursday. The tech guy was adamant i just exchange the card and away i should go. I knew this wouldn't be the case but tried anyway. The card came with an activation code and licence agreement, my original did not. It also came with a manual of sorts.

Interestingly though was the activation process for the tech guys.

IMG_1268.jpg

leonlad

Mar 28, 2004
london
So i finally managed to get the dealer to make good on their salesman's promise of 3 year free sat nav updates. I got given the card for the most recent version on Thursday. The tech guy was adamant i just exchange the card and away i should go. I knew this wouldn't be the case but tried anyway. The card came with an activation code and licence agreement, my original did not. It also came with a manual of sorts.

Interestingly though was the activation process for the tech guys.

IMG_1268.jpg

how do they activate it ?

CyberGene

Apr 26, 2008
Sofia, Bulgaria
That's pretty useful information! So, it seems, it is possible to delete something in the software, then restart the computer and put the new card and have it linked to the nav unit. It is promising.

leonlad

Mar 28, 2004
london
That's pretty useful information! So, it seems, it is possible to delete something in the software, then restart the computer and put the new card and have it linked to the nav unit. It is promising.

wonder if there is anything in vcds to do this , or actually turn it off ,

i put v5 maps on the original card it loads them up momentarily as the maps comes on the screen and registers them with the system as you can check the version in the service menu but does not allow you to use them .

should get my cable soon so will have a play in option b5 ;)

LT3Tab.png

Last edited:

kopnyr

Nov 8, 2013
Nitra, Slovakia
So it looks that we are closer. Still must be solved these problems:

1. Ad VCDS/cable: option B5 not work with 12.12.0 version (init ... no response/error)
2. Ad Manual: on the 10th line "disconnect power" - my understanding manual said about disconnecting the battery of car (on batt power - the link to old nav card could NOT be cleared).

Other lines of manual looks clear.

Do you have any new experiences ?

Thanx, Rob

Last edited:

MaximusDoom

Oct 2, 2014
Nottingham, UK
I am literally amazed at the lack of knowledge in local dealers, telling people "You just go on the internet & update it for free!" Myself included. Where have they obtained this information, how can such a large company in the UK car sales market be so miss informed with regard to a service their european counterparts are so adequately supplying? The mind boggles at the sheer inept attitude of the company in general when the customer care departments take in excess of 3 weeks to answer/pass the buck when asking such a simple question. It would be understandable if the MapShare option was available in the US but not Europe or vice versa due to different mapping but the maps in question are the the very same European maps, the same infotainment sytems & the same cars! I have booked my car into the local dealer today for the 10th October to have the spare wheel option "fitted!" Apparently it takes 2 hours!!!!! I have also made note for them to update the firmware of my infotainment system as it isnt showing DAB stations logos or contacts picture as it says it should. I have also specifically asked for an update of the maps, as promised by the sales staff. I have also asked for a sit down with the manager regarding MapShare. Lets see what happens? I will post back my findings after the 10th.....

On a possitive note though, I bought a TomTom Go600 (Needed for a trip through France) 3 weeks before I bought my Leon FR 184, with SatNav included. The lifetime map udates are looking very favourable right now. Ya gotta smile I guess :D

speculatrix

Hello, I came here because I have the same issue with the radio/satnav in my car, a Nissan Connect unit, as it seems it uses the very same copy protection mechanisms on the SD card as the Seat's.

I thought you guys might like to know there's been a report that the licensing system has been cracked:
http : // gpsunderground . com /forum/renault-nissan-infiniti/4051-nissan-qashqai-connect-12.html

"cryptnav system has been cracked.. for ford, nissan, opel, skoda, etc...
sd_meta.dat calculate source:
-SD card CID register,
-Constans (40bytes public key+20 bytes(PRKey, (5B71E6266F6D5F2890049ED896AF1147BDDB7080C28A5289A 1FB2DAE.................)
-decrypted nav_root.dat file.....
NOT FREE!!!!!
waiting for public version......."

Unfortunately, I've not been able to find anything more about this. Meanwhile, you guys have had some very interesting discussions about your copy protection problems.

The protection scheme on our Nissan Connect head units seems identical in that the card id (CID) is the key to the protection... it's referenced by some binary licence-type files on the card, which makes copying the card pointless: no matter whether you do a sector copy of the card to a fresh one or a file copy, the new card will have a different ID.

The Connect units only have a single SD card, which is 8GB, and contains maps, POIs, speech files and updates for the radio/satnav. If you borrow and put a newer card in, the radio firmware updates. If you put back your old card, it will downgrade!

It seems we can only get updates for it in the form of physical SD cards bought from navigation.com for about 150 euros!! There are Ebay sellers offering cards for half that, and I am suspicious that if the copy protection was cracked then these people are part of that circle.

Another possibility is that it might be possible to change the CID of a card. I too found the referenced web page, but I couldn't find any evidence of it being possible to buy cards whose CID was changeable :-(

I also looked for an SD card emulator, which would be a hardware device that plugged into the SD slot which would look like an SD card but you could program to have the CID of any SD card etc.. couldn't find anything :-(

Now, you may be saying that this is nothing new. What has particularly struck my interest is the discussion about your MapCare option. It seems to me that the program can download new maps onto the card and generate a licence key for the map; it must read the CID, check any update rights you've bought and then write the licence files to the card. The licence files match the CID, and the radio will accept them.

If the authors of the copy protection system have been lazy, then just possibly the updater program might be fooled into thinking you have the right to a map update and generate the licence key for you.
Or, generate multiple licence keys for different cards, so you get a bunch of blank cards, copy the files onto them without the keys, and then somehow get the program to generate appropriate keys using up just the one entitlement update.

Another idea is that there may be variants of the head units which don't check the CID, specifically created to make free map updates possible. Is it possible to flash this "libertarian" firmware onto the restrictive Seat unit?

Just my 2p worth. I hope I've contributed to the discussion. sorry for going on so long.

Paul
p.s. I had to mangle the URL because I'm a n00b here.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members