Tell

Updating the inbuilt Mib2 Satnav / Mib2 tricks and Mib1

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
The title got "mysterious changed" when I created the resource, the resource had that title then it was paired with the thread which kept it's title (Thats how old threads get their resource links)... then when I changed the resource title weeks later the thread got renamed. It's the way you tag created resources to existing threads. The web package it's hosted on did the thread title change at the third stage. Bit reluctant to edit the title again in case everything goes side wise. I did explain to fellow mods what happended so the Leon oversight didn't wonder why the 2013 thread suddenly got a name change :unsure: . That's why it happended.

The thread as always remains about the inbuilt navigation map files and why they don't work or work, updates etc whilst the firmware they run on, is on the firmware thread.
Thanks for the explanation Tell, cheers.:)

Jan 12, 2021
Hi guys I tried to update maps in MIB1 leon mk3 2014... I didn't read this before, just thought it is like skoda and vw... Also didn't make backup of original files... Does anyone have 2014 maps for MIB1, pleaseee? Post it and send link...

Thank you

Tell

Staff member
Hi guys I tried to update maps in MIB1 leon mk3 2014... I didn't read this before, just thought it is like skoda and vw... Also didn't make backup of original files... Does anyone have 2014 maps for MIB1, pleaseee? Post it and send link...

Thank you

Think you are looking for the same one as GoFree above. I found the next two releases online, see the resource link, but the 2014 one I think dates to when Here Maps released the materiel off their web site. Skoda then took over the hosting of their material but didnt back load the history of what was hosted on Here Maps. Skoda, VW and Seat all being the same file.

Solution is to get a copy off someone or one of the ones you see on eBay. Gave the part number out above.

Jan 12, 2021
hello, I'm new here. I'm from Portugal sorry for my english
i have a seat ibiza from 2017 and i decided to update my gps. I downloaded the maps from the seat website and replaced the maps folder on the original sd card. does not work!
need help. does a new card solve the problem?

thanks !

Attachments

• IMG_20210109_114708.jpg
    IMG_20210109_114708.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_20210109_114700.jpg
    IMG_20210109_114700.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_20210108_173105.jpg
    IMG_20210108_173105.jpg
    317.8 KB · Views: 178

Tell

Staff member
hello, I'm new here. I'm from Portugal sorry for my english
i have a seat ibiza from 2017 and i decided to update my gps. I downloaded the maps from the seat website and replaced the maps folder on the original sd card. does not work!
need help. does a new card solve the problem?

thanks !
Did you take a back up copy so you have the overall.nds file so you can do the workaround. I'm assuming it's mib2 standard. Check that.

After checking... but I suspect it is, did you do this bit

Before proceeding it is important to take a copy of the contents of the SD card.

If you didn't then follow this heading

Lost, Stolen and Missing Cards from a Mib2 Standard Unit

That gets you back to a working file you need, then read on from the heading

Workaround

Suspect that is your issue.

Tell

Staff member
No you follow the lost and stolen bit of the text. Quite a few people have fallen into this trap. I use to find each of their releases but in fact it became apparent that a universal solution was to download what I give you in that text. That's the first mib2 standard release that Seat had. The overall.nds file in that release is then good for all installed releases that are paired with the unit. That is then your savour file.... that's the one you use with the work around method.

E.g. this download gives the missing file

V1 link (Credit Markobc with that one):

http://infotainment-cdn.skoda-auto.com/base/maps/0430_MP143-1248.0EUR.zip

Then you just write that overall.nds file in place of the one you got on your latest download. Step 9 of this

Steps:

1. Download the latest standard MIB2 maps
  2. on the infotainment go to settings, safely remove, sd1 card
  3. remove sd1 card from glove box slot
  4. long press on the on / off to reboot it a couple of times
  5. insert sd card in to computer
  6. copy and paste all contents to a directory on your computer
  7. Format the SD card keep it as fat32 and leave format settings as default in file explorer (don't forget to push the card lock mechanism to off) (ditto in a MAC or delete all from the SD card)
  8. Copy the new downloaded map version to the SD card (after unzipping it)
  9. Replace /maps/EEC/EEC_WLD/OVERALL.NDS on the SD CARD with the one from the original SD card
  10. eject the sd card (on a MAC run CleanMyDrive on the SD card - then eject)
  11. Inserted the card into the card 1 slot in glove box whilst infotainment is off
  12. power on and go to navigation
Your original will be off that Skoda link. If Skoda servers are playing up then use the second link I gave in the mib2 lost and stolen card section. That uses the Skoda download manager and is more resilient to internet server difficulties.

Reactions: Geiras
Jan 12, 2021
No you follow the lost and stolen bit of the text. Quite a few people have fallen into this trap. I use to find each of their releases but in fact it became apparent that a universal solution was to download what I give you in that text. That's the first mib2 standard release that Seat had. The overall.nds file in that release is then good for all installed releases that are paired with the unit. That is then your savour file.... that's the one you use with the work around method.

E.g. this download gives the missing file

V1 link (Credit Markobc with that one):

Then you just write that overall.nds file in place of the one you got on your latest download. Step 9 of this

Steps:

1. Download the latest standard MIB2 maps
  2. on the infotainment go to settings, safely remove, sd1 card
  3. remove sd1 card from glove box slot
  4. long press on the on / off to reboot it a couple of times
  5. insert sd card in to computer
  6. copy and paste all contents to a directory on your computer
  7. Format the SD card keep it as fat32 and leave format settings as default in file explorer (don't forget to push the card lock mechanism to off) (ditto in a MAC or delete all from the SD card)
  8. Copy the new downloaded map version to the SD card (after unzipping it)
  9. Replace /maps/EEC/EEC_WLD/OVERALL.NDS on the SD CARD with the one from the original SD card
  10. eject the sd card (on a MAC run CleanMyDrive on the SD card - then eject)
  11. Inserted the card into the card 1 slot in glove box whilst infotainment is off
  12. power on and go to navigation
Your original will be off that Skoda link. If Skoda servers are playing up then use the second link I gave in the mib2 lost and stolen card section. That uses the Skoda download manager and is more resilient to internet server difficulties.

The link does not work.

what is the other one?

Tell

Staff member
The link does not work.

what is the other one?

That one works for me but they can hang since Skoda servers can be problematic at times.

First link:

Second link:

That uses the Skoda download manager. More stable on wobbly internet. It first downloads the download manager, you then click on it, then click download, it then prepares your file at the server end, then you OK it to start off. You can unzip from where it saves it rather than copying it on to SD as I recall.

OK I see you got it but get the extra documentation :). Off to bed.

Jan 12, 2021
That one works for me but they can hang since Skoda servers can be problematic at times.

First link:

Second link:

That uses the Skoda download manager. More stable on wobbly internet. It first downloads the download manager, you then click on it, then click download, it then prepares your file at the server end, then you OK it to start off. You can unzip from where it saves it rather than copying it on to SD as I recall.

OK I see you got it but get the extra documentation :). Off to bed.

After the download is complete, I will replace the file you mentioned. Then I give feedback. Thank you very much!! Good sleep

Reactions: Tell
Jan 12, 2021
You are magnificent! It resulted, I already have GPS in my Seat again.
However, the map is not updated, even after the folder with the recent maps has been placed

Reactions: Tell

Tell

Staff member
Glad it worked. Stefan the guy behind the original workaround takes the key prize plus others who tested the approach of going back to Seats year dot with mib2 so that an overall fix can be found.

On the map not being updated that will be I guess a new road has been built etc that TomTom cartography hasnt digitised in yet / within the one year lag. You need to get a TomTom account (free) so you can tell them about missing and incorrect material. Best to provide the evidence via web links / photos so they can validate it. See under the section on Cartography

Use the TomTom one, you can also correct the Here Maps one and look at Openstreet :). Can also correct Google maps as well :love: .

Flushed with success on Openstreet after Flash support was removed. It used their own developed Potlash editor which used Flash. Being hot geo mapping system academic developer community they soon got of the mark with the standalone app using Adobe Air, Potlash 3

old

New using Adobe Air direct download:

There you go someone looking for Potlatch 3 for Openstreet may stumble on it via a Google. Thought it was going to be tricky to install. No problems. That's the Openstreet new editor.

Yeah. So I suspect when you look at TomTom, getting an account

You probably will find what is missing off isn't in the base maps, so you can tell them about it with evidenced links. I get mine thru this way. You check to see whether they have accepted it. Speed changes are more tricky since they don't trust user input on that, but new built roads are easy enough to get in with evidence provided. Then it will take 6 - 12 months to get thru to mib2 standard.

Tell

Staff member
You need to select your POIs again. If they include user POIs they have to be re selected after a map update. I think that's true on the built in ones. The high unit remembers your poi categories you want to show between map updates, the standard unit forgets so you have to just tap them back in. Petrol stations etc.

Jan 12, 2021
You need to select your POIs again. If they include user POIs they have to be re selected after a map update. I think that's true on the built in ones. The high unit remembers your poi categories you want to show between map updates, the standard unit forgets so you have to just tap them back in. Petrol stations etc.

Ok. I think That everything is ok now.
Please confirm, is the GPS update now ?

Thanks you very much for your precious help!!

Attachments

• IMG_20210113_160351.jpg
    IMG_20210113_160351.jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 175

Tell

Staff member
You can do your bit using Mapshare so it gets fixed ?.

Crowd sourcing fixes the bits that that the commercial operation miss. They only send their cars round ever so often. Same with all mapping operations. I've seen Apple mapping cars in London in 2017 and TomTom ones in Ireland. Here Maps send them out on new built roads. With automated cars getting the cartography exact is pretty important which is why they send out the survey cars and don't rely on aeriel images (May be the main roads that get the special treatment where may be automated cars can't be trusted at higher speeds).

Those revolving bits you see on the mapping cars scan the buildings with laser beams to allow the photographed images to be aligned. I asked a survey team that were on a shifting coastal survey once... what the rotating devices were for ?. They had left a device on a trig point which is another method they used to compensate for GPS signal variation, another modern day survey trick of using the GPS pole but cross checking with another at a fixed traditional trig point.... comes of what happens if a digital mapping person meets a survey team ?. (With two degrees in mathematics meets trained geographers, get your questions answered). Does beg the question of how accurate the survey car is for road maps, but probably accurate enough. The aeriel images go through levels of projection so are not always right hence why they send the cars when they want it exact. Tend to be plane images rather than satellite... viewing angle.

Last edited:
Reactions: Geiras
Jan 12, 2021
You can do your bit using Mapshare so it gets fixed ?.

Crowd sourcing fixes the bits that that the commercial operation miss. They only send their cars round ever so often. Same with all mapping operations. I've seen Apple mapping cars in London in 2017 and TomTom ones in Ireland. Here Maps send them out on new built roads. With automated cars getting the cartography exact is pretty important which is why they send out the survey cars and don't rely on aeriel images (May be the main roads that get the special treatment where may be automated cars can't be trusted at higher speeds).

Those revolving bits you see on the mapping cars scan the buildings with laser beams to allow the photographed images to be aligned. I asked a survey team that were on a shifting coastal survey once... what the rotating devices were for ?. They had left a device on a trig point which is another method they used to compensate for GPS signal variation, another modern day survey trick of using the GPS pole but cross checking with another at a fixed traditional trig point.... comes of what happens if a digital mapping person meets a survey team ?. (With two degrees in mathematics meets trained geographers, get your questions answered). Does beg the question of how accurate the survey car is for road maps, but probably accurate enough. The aeriel images go through levels of projection so are not always right hence why they send the cars when they want it exact. Tend to be plane images rather than satellite... viewing angle.

I had no idea about that. it is quite interesting and complex at the same time ??

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.