Upgrades advice

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
So I’m looking to spend some money on my LCR and looking to upgrade a few items and wondered what people’s suggestions are on the following - budget wise I’m not limited as I can wait but also it doesn’t need to be gold plated.

Suspension:
Currently have FK coil overs but they are starting to show signs of age so thinking of going to KW V2’s. Any one run them or have better suggestions?

Air filter:
I’d always like to run a air box but as the cars stage 2 I need to stick with an induction kit. I’ve run a BMC before but is there anything better? I have a nuespeed heatshield so may need to swap that over.

LSD:
Simply worth the money? Quafe the way to go?

Car is a weekend/daily driver (keeping the miles down).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Hi.
KW are great if you can afford them. Nearly did the v2 route myself but found the BC do all the same at a much more affordable price.
They are great and I’m a 50 year old with a bad back.
Induction is really needed for stage 2. Otherwise airbox and decent filter work.

As to the diff.
It’s dependent on how you drive really.
I’ve not found a point that I’ve really needed one while on public roads. I quite enjoy s little wheel spin out the corners .
If going to track the car then I’d say it’s probably a good investment.
I was having one fitted in April till all the crap came down on us.
Again if tracking the car it may be fun to drive it without first so you can really get the car to “dance “ and learn its characteristics before doing the diff.
I did a year without but it’s now time for one as it’s like a mini map for your lap times.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Manic172

Manic172

https://m.facebook.com/ManicMotorsport1
Dec 4, 2018
Hemel hempstead
www.seatcupra.net
Just wondering. Why does every one ask about kw shocks. In the years I have been racing I have never heard or seen any one using them. I have seen GAS AST AVO Leda even spax...... The only time I seen kw is when advertised on dtm cars. Has any one on here ever used them on track compared to any others. I spoke to kw at the airport show but wasn't really interested in club spec race cars.. they had there road range stuff then jumped to about 3.5 for 2,3 way adjustable race set up stuff.
I got 3 way adjustable rears and 2 way front made to my spec from GAZ for 1300. AST was gonna be about 1700 for the same but only if I could get 9 other people to order the same so they would do a production run. Other wise it was 2.8-3k for the shocks .
As for diff I been told about a bloke in Wales runs a company called I think blood and gears.. he from what I been told is the guru on the vag gearbox he will be able to say the do's and dont's on a what is the best option. I ran a quaife atb in a saxo for raceing at it made a lot of difference. When you got the trust in it and learned how to use it it was brilliant. But for a road car I not sure the expense on a diff is worth it.
On the air filter front every sales company has there own manufacturer they deal with. Best off having a look at what's available and what you like the look of. I got a ram air set up to go on. It comes with air filter and heat shield. And looks pretty nice and don't stand out massively. So it's down to preference and style I would say on cone filter set ups.

Reactions: Scotty_b

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
Hi.
KW are great if you can afford them. Nearly did the v2 route myself but found the BC do all the same at a much more affordable price.
They are great and I’m a 50 year old with a bad back.
Induction is really needed for stage 2. Otherwise airbox and decent filter work.

As to the diff.
It’s dependent on how you drive really.
I’ve not found a point that I’ve really needed one while on public roads. I quite enjoy s little wheel spin out the corners .
If going to track the car then I’d say it’s probably a good investment.
I was having one fitted in April till all the crap came down on us.
Again if tracking the car it may be fun to drive it without first so you can really get the car to “dance “ and learn its characteristics before doing the diff.
I did a year without but it’s now time for one as it’s like a mini map for your lap times.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

How do you find the BC as I’ve heard of them a few times when I’ve been looking around.

Car will never be tracked to be fair it’s all about good ride quality and the low look (well a compromise as I know they are opposite ends of the scale).

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
Just wondering. Why does every one ask about kw shocks. In the years I have been racing I have never heard or seen any one using them. I have seen GAS AST AVO Leda even spax...... The only time I seen kw is when advertised on dtm cars. Has any one on here ever used them on track compared to any others. I spoke to kw at the airport show but wasn't really interested in club spec race cars.. they had there road range stuff then jumped to about 3.5 for 2,3 way adjustable race set up stuff.
I got 3 way adjustable rears and 2 way front made to my spec from GAZ for 1300. AST was gonna be about 1700 for the same but only if I could get 9 other people to order the same so they would do a production run. Other wise it was 2.8-3k for the shocks .
As for diff I been told about a bloke in Wales runs a company called I think blood and gears.. he from what I been told is the guru on the vag gearbox he will be able to say the do's and dont's on a what is the best option. I ran a quaife atb in a saxo for raceing at it made a lot of difference. When you got the trust in it and learned how to use it it was brilliant. But for a road car I not sure the expense on a diff is worth it.
On the air filter front every sales company has there own manufacturer they deal with. Best off having a look at what's available and what you like the look of. I got a ram air set up to go on. It comes with air filter and heat shield. And looks pretty nice and don't stand out massively. So it's down to preference and style I would say on cone filter set ups.

To be fair Gaz comes up a lot but all for track cars (on other forums). I guess KW are known in the VAG world and is the cross over for people like me who build something that would be capable of ‘track action’ but only ever see B road journeys and daily driving. For me it’s about looks, quality and comfort as if I was to track her it would be stripped out, weighted and balanced with a decent set of tyres and that would be fine for my capability.

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
How do you find the BC as I’ve heard of them a few times when I’ve been looking around.

Car will never be tracked to be fair it’s all about good ride quality and the low look (well a compromise as I know they are opposite ends of the scale).

Perfectly acceptable for road. Firm not crashy. They sit pretty low out the box.
Pot holes are pot holes in any car it’s horrible.
I drive bumpy B roads around me and never felt the need to soften off from current settings.
I’m older with a rubbish spine so I do feel the road.
Car goes on track and difference in standard oem to these is night and day. More balance. Flatter cornering faster turn in and exit and more power down out of corners with reduction in wheel spin.
( did add control arm bushing with added castor too which helps corner exit )
Build quality is there.
They look good too with an affordable price tag thrown in.
26144caf95c75060b801afec774e87dc.jpg

About 9 months old in the picture.

Badger5 Custom Map + TIP,
3”Custom exhaust, FMIC, Bosh 550’s, BC Coilovers, ARB’s +loads more.

Reactions: Scotty_b

Nizza

May 17, 2019
@Mamic172 in reposne to your hatred towards KW......

They are great, absolutely transformed my car, I could find the limit of the spax quite easily on track I appreciate these are designed for fast road.

I went 2 way club sport. They were 1900 on sale, they are stainless steel so never have corrosion problems to worry about although I still bought them socks....quality of build is awesome...and im a quality engineer by trade

My friend drove the car who races in civic Cup and time attack to name a few really rated them had great bump and rebound and really kept the car planted, even when hooning over kerbs. Without testing them all I'm sure its very difficult to decide whats best.

Had gaz before on a different car, road suspension...was very good though.

In all honesty if I had the choice I'd have gone ohlins but didn't make anything for the mk1.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk