URGENT!!! need help removing rear window

badat_81

Jun 11, 2010
west yorkshire
hi,

today i thought id have a go removing the rear window off my leon mk1 so i can tint them properly my self i have removed door card and most bolts even the door handle but the window is still attached to the windoe mechanism at the bottom with a massive white clip how do i remove this clip so i can pull the window out.

thnkss

hope it dont rain!!!!

p.s looked at vw vortex guide but thats for the front doors and thats when the window mechanisms broke is it the same?

dainott2105

mk1 Cupra and mk2 FR TDI
Nov 4, 2006
swansea
That large white clip has a plastic pin in the middle of it that you have to push out to remove the glass.
The glass has a hole in in that this plastic pin goes through to hold the glass and if you look it has a smaller split pin inside it that holds it in place. It no to difficult to remove it but to refit it is a nightmare as without drilling out the rivets on the door catch connected to the metal panel you only have a small area to reach into to replace the pin. I did it with a long nose pliers and took me about 10 attempts. Persistance is the only way to get this done mate sorry :(

badat_81

Jun 11, 2010
west yorkshire
nightmare day.

got to work on the window at about 11.00am and just finished now at 12.43 am. replace window and new winder mechanism all done at bout 4.00 with breaks and stoppages thru out. anyways time to go home at 10 tried door one last time and can u bleive it not opening tried everythng had to re open everythng again and with no sucess just left a plank of wood to support the window

honestly im in no mood to try it again and feel like scrapping the car atm:(

dainott2105

mk1 Cupra and mk2 FR TDI
Nov 4, 2006
swansea
Same thing happened to me mate. Had a piece of wood holding the window closed for about 2 months cos i had a gutsful of not being able to do it.
You have a choice mate you can either have another go when your head stops bouncing or can remove the rivets from the lock mechanism and that will give u good access to do the job with much less hassle.
I managed on my second try to remove the top white plastic clip (the one the window sits in) after snapping it on my first attempt (when i had almost finished which made my blood boil :() and rerun the cable and then put a small blob of glue on the plastic pin so it never drops out again.
Other option is to pay the dealers to do it (watch their face when you tell them what u want them to do, its a picture) and probably 2-3 hours labour.

Whats the reason it aint opening now then? Is the motor turning?

badat_81

Jun 11, 2010
west yorkshire
hey,

i can easily put it all back together only the window at the end how do i put it thru the window hole at the bottom there is soo less space to get your hand behind it, its a nightmare. its a manual window winder

Last edited:

dainott2105

mk1 Cupra and mk2 FR TDI
Nov 4, 2006
swansea
Sorry im so late replying mate im on shifts so in work now. Mine were electric but cant see it making any difference (if anything easier as i could adjust once i had removed the panel)

With the panel off if you wind down the window little by little you will find that there is a certain position that will give you the most room to sit the glass in the white plastic holder and give you enough access with a long nose pliers to push the clip through the glass (i remember that when it comes to the pin i put the smallest pin into the large one just enough for it to stay there, and put the two through the glass at the same time and then pushed the small on in to secure).

And yea i agree it is a nightmare :(