V5 engine problems

a_very_dark_day

...sounds like what has just happened to me mate. I have a 2000 v5 that is currently having its coil changed. They just get old and crack, especially with this past cold spell we have just had! Its about £200 all in to get them sorted. Hope this helps!!

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
Could be the leads or plugs or MAF or temp sensor or lambda probe, its a stab in the dark but they can all cause rough idling and sporadic running conditions. Best thing to do is run it on vag-com or a code reader and see if anything shows, failing that take it to a reputable diagnostic garage and let them have a look but tell them evey little crucial detail.

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
sounds like they're just guessing at the mo. it could be the egr valve if it has one but without looking at it personally i wouldnt be able to tell

WinterMute

I had a very similar problem with my old 150 V5 Toledo, turned out that the garage had fitted cheaper non-VW HT leads at the last service and they had degraded very quickly, the problem went away as soon as they fitted the correct parts.

Get them to check the mass air-flow sensor too.

procasat

I wonder if anyone out there can give me some advice?
I've got an 18 month old Golf V5 170PS Tiptronic that develops a faint but distinct engine rattle that comes on at 1800rpm and goes abruptly at 2000rpm that can be heard in 2nd and 3rd gear only when the engine has warmed up. I can't hear it if I hold the revs between these limits at higher gears.
The noise sounds like a rattling tappet, but if this was the case presumably I'd hear it in the higher gears as well?
Using Optimax makes no difference.
The car's done 16000miles and for all I know the noise has been present for ages as I can only hear it when the radio is off.
The car drives OK and I can't hear anything when the engine is idling.
I had a coil pack go 6months ago but that was successfully fixed.
Any suggestions gratefully received.