V5 owners... Your opinion?

Jordan1990

Hi, i am new to the forum and im just asking anyone who has a v5 what they think of it? I have been looking at getting a new car for a while now, ive always wanted a vw, audi or seat. I been looking at toledos for a while now and i viewed a V5 today and i loved it, only thing is most of the ones in my price range tend to have high milage, does anyone have a toledo with high milage and if so have you had any issues? Ive spent a few years a college doing motorsport mechanics and ive always thought that vw/audi cars are very good solid cars, also does anyone know how much SEAT would charge for a new key for a toledo?

Any advice would be appreciated

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Us V5 owners are a small but proud bunch, I doubt any one of us regret the purchase. It's not a Cupra beater (or even FR beater in some cases), but that's not the point. I got put on to them by a friend, after wanting a good reliable car, and the V5 ticks all the boxes. What's more, because the V5 is very much an 'unloved' car for 99% of the population, the prices are really rock bottom. Don't ever try and sell one, it will leave you in tears. But buying one with the intention of driving it into the ground, and you're sorted. I got mine for £1400 off Ebay, my mate got his for £1050, and they regularly go for that sort of price.

My 2001 car is currently approaching 127k, and it's prety much as good as it left the factory. A recent dyno run had it running with 6 horses and 6 lbft of torque less than what the book says, which I think is fantastic for the age and mileage. And it has been suggested that a service and some decent fuel would get those back.

The only parts that have had to be replaced (apart from serviceable items) have been the mass airflow meter and coil packs. But both are common faults to VAG cars, not just the V5. I've swapped the bushes and shock absorbers, there was nothing really wrong with the old ones but I fancied tightening things up a bit.

My friends V5 fared a little worse, but still not massive problems. He bought the car with a radiator leak, the radiator itself was cheap but the front of the car has to come off. Replacing the radiator revealed a secondary water pump that had cracked, but that was a much easier job to replace. He's also had to swap his MAF.

And finally, we both suffer from leaky door seals. Again, it's not a Toledo only fault, as far as I know any Mark 4 Golf based car is likely to be affected by it.

I think that's about it. Oh, and SEAT charge a fortune for a new key, and I was quoted a ridiculous lead time as well. There's a few key cutting places now that can cut and code keys, they will do the same job for a much cheaper price, within half an hour. Someone posted that some of the Timpsons shops can do it.

Jordan1990

Thanks for your reply, im certain its what i want! Only losing 6bhp is very impressive considering the millage especially.

Thanks for all your imformation, the one i looked at had 128K on the clock and everything seemed to be ok, although i didnt take it out for a drive which i will do at some point, as long as there is no major problems and all the toys work im happy!

v5russ

hi jordan, i have had mine 6 mths and love it. it pulls like a train and gos round corners like it is on rails. it has all the toys cruise control, air con electric everthing.....fantastic car 95k on the clock i am lookin at getting rid as i need a 4x4, i have owned loads of cars and this has to be one of the best i have owned mercs bmws this out performs all of them.. hope you fine the right one for you

Thev5

Keeping it unreal
Nov 19, 2004
www.gardensandhouses.co.uk
I've had my V5 for 7 1/2 years now its fast approaching its 11th birthday. Its covered 145k miles of which I've done 120k. Aside from wear and tear items, I've had 1 maf sensor, 1 aux water pump, 1 N/S window regulator, 1 O/S door lock and 4 brake light switches. I replaced all these parts myself and they came to about £250.

I have had other bits go like the Alternator, suspension strut, and engine mounts. But the car is as I say 11 years old. I also have the rear N/S wheel bearing giving up the ghost and also as of last week one of the CV joints. But these parts have cost me about £100 and its finding the time to do it.

I service the car myself every 5k miles for oil and oil filter and every 10k miles for other filters and generally every 15 - 20k for spark plugs and the like. I do use Super Unleaded fuel (Shell V-Power) which in my case does make a difference.

The performance is still on the button and I generally get 32mpg on mixed runs. All the electrics work fine the A/C is still ice cool.

All in all, it is the best car I've ever had. Its super reliable and is still smile inducing. I drive down to Spain about twice a year and never think twice about doing the trip with the car as I'm always confident that the car will do it without breaking a sweat. And seeing as I do it in one go with only petrol/wee/coffee stops, its pretty impressive as its 900 miles and 12 hours including 1 hour'ish stops.

If mine popped its clogs tomorrow, I would be on the look out for another one as they are now so cheap for all the car you get (I think I would be tears though!). I have never once regretted buying this car and still love it to bits even after 7 1/2 years of driving it.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I also have the rear N/S wheel bearing giving up the ghost and also as of last week one of the CV joints. But these parts have cost me about £100 and its finding the time to do it.

Ah yes, you've reminded me, I also have what seems to be a wheel bearing on it's way out. I also had to strip down an inner CV joint, but that was my cack-handedness with the suspension change rather than an actual fault!:whistle: That same suspension change resulted in me needing a new wishbone, but again it was avoidable.

My incompetence cost me an extra £50 in parts, which shows the other benefit of it. As it's basically a Mark 4 Golf, parts are cheap and plentiful. Even engine parts are shared with the VR5.

If mine popped its clogs tomorrow, I would be on the look out for another one as they are now so cheap for all the car you get

Let's hope mine doesn't go at the same time, 'cos I'd be fighting you for a new one! :D

srherman

just got my toledo V5 last week, put it through car wash and now suffering from engine management light on. can not believe my luck as i have only had the car for 6 days.

Anyone got any idea as what this can mean? MAF?

Last edited by a moderator:

kewe

Jun 20, 2001
Edinburgh
Visit site
You probably need to get VAGCOM on it to find out what has triggered the EML. Has the car changed at all in terms of how the engine sounds/performs?

Most likely maf or coilpack but you'd be better hooking up VAGCOM to check.
If you dont have VAGCOM check to see if there are any forum members near you who might have it and be willing to help.

Jordan1990

just got my toledo V5 last week, put it through car wash and now suffering from engine management light on. can not believe my luck as i have only had the car for 6 days.

Anyone got any idea as what this can mean? MAF?

Thanks for all your replys, with your engine light any half decent diagnostic machine should tell you whats causing it, doesnt have to be anything as fancy as a snap-on solus. let us know how you get on with it, how are you liking it so far after 6 days?

srherman

The car runs but feel like it running on 3-4 cylinders at times, when i coast its wanting to stoll, which would probably seem to be a coil or something along those lines.
Apart from this hiccup the car is awesome, got alot of toys. performance wise it goes like a train and can not get over that V5 Audi Quattro like burble!

srherman

love the car, alot of toys for the money. loving the V5 Audi Quattro like burble when giving it abit of stick.

srherman

The car runs but feel like it running on 3-4 cylinders at times, when i coast its wanting to stoll, which would probably seem to be a coil or something along those lines.
Apart from this hiccup the car is awesome, got alot of toys. performance wise it goes like a train and can not get over that V5 Audi Quattro like burble!

kewe

Jun 20, 2001
Edinburgh
Visit site
Does sound like a coil pack, when mines went the car juddered quite badly at tickover with a dropped cylinder. Also it would only drive in limp mode. If it is a coil pack best not drive it until it's fixed as the un-burnt fuel will damage the CAT. Do you have AA/RAC cover?

Jordan1990

Does sound like a coil pack, when mines went the car juddered quite badly at tickover with a dropped cylinder. Also it would only drive in limp mode. If it is a coil pack best not drive it until it's fixed as the un-burnt fuel will damage the CAT. Do you have AA/RAC cover?

Yea i think your proberly right about the limp mode, and if it was in limp mode it would be very noticible when you drive it, especially when you try to accelerate hard

srherman

Took the risk and drove the car back to the garage were i brought it from, strange thing was i had 3 yellow warning lights on (Traction control, Epc and Engine management light) on, with all 3 lights on the engine ran rubbish felt like it was only on 3-4 cylinders, as i drove it to the garage after 4 miles or so the Epc light went off and the car drove 'normal'. only hope that when they put in on the Vag Dianostic it will flag the fault.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
The lights may have dissappeared, but the fault codes will still be there, so if they check they will be able to see what happened, even if it seems 'normal' now.

Jordan1990

yea the faults would be stored even if the light on the dashboard is no longer showing a fault, i would a diagnostic machine will pick a quite a few fault codes if you had all those lights on, you never know though in some cases just one faulty component can all those lights to come on

Jordan1990

I didnt really want to start a whole new post, but im still looking for a V5, and i want to know how much extra the 170bhp model is worth over the 150bhp model, as far as i am aware the only thing it has other than an extra 20bhp is SAT NAV as standard, money is a bit tight so is it worth putting in the extra effort to find a nice 170bhp model?

srherman

well just got motor back and garage put a fault diagnostic test on it, it shown a couple of sensor faults, reset the cars engine management and put it on 2 8 mile run tests, cars as good as new, runs 'normal' and hey presto no lights! guys said prior to me buying the car it has been left stood for quite some time and perhaps dirt etc has triggered the initial fault, but all seems to be running well. if any of the sensor were 'shot' then i would of assumed the engine management would of flagged straight back up.:shrug:

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise