V5 owners... Your opinion?

russ0r

Had mine for 9 months now. It hasn't done moon miles though, only 85k. Love it to bits and nothing up until now has gone wrong. It just developed a pretty bad coolant leak today but hopefully it's nothing too serious.
It's not the quickest thing in the world but so much smoother than any of the 4 cylinder engines that compete with it (the 20VTs and Cupras/FRs). Also I find myself driving it through tunnels just to listen to that lovely 5-pot burble :D
Plenty of toys for the money too.
Only disappointing thing is the rubbish fuel economy for the power you're getting.
If mine died today I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

I didnt really want to start a whole new post, but im still looking for a V5, and i want to know how much extra the 170bhp model is worth over the 150bhp model, as far as i am aware the only thing it has other than an extra 20bhp is SAT NAV as standard, money is a bit tight so is it worth putting in the extra effort to find a nice 170bhp model?

I think it depends on how much extra you're paying. If you're talking 3-400 quid I'd take it as you WILL feel the extra 20bhp when you're driving. Anything more than that you might as well stick with the 150. I've heard of 150s remapping to almost 170 anyway for a cost of 2-300 notes.
Btw the satnav should not be a selling point. It's a slow, archaic system and the update disks cost more than an aftermarket unit. I used mine once then took the disk out and haven't touched it since. The CD changer is worth it though.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
well just got motor back and garage put a fault diagnostic test on it, it shown a couple of sensor faults, reset the cars engine management and put it on 2 8 mile run tests, cars as good as new, runs 'normal' and hey presto no lights! guys said prior to me buying the car it has been left stood for quite some time and perhaps dirt etc has triggered the initial fault, but all seems to be running well. if any of the sensor were 'shot' then i would of assumed the engine management would of flagged straight back up.:shrug:

Yep, that sounds pretty good. Do a few more miles to make sure, but it does sound like they were simply ghosts in the machine...

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I didnt really want to start a whole new post, but im still looking for a V5, and i want to know how much extra the 170bhp model is worth over the 150bhp model, as far as i am aware the only thing it has other than an extra 20bhp is SAT NAV as standard, money is a bit tight so is it worth putting in the extra effort to find a nice 170bhp model?

150bhp models are old enough to take advantage of the old tax rules, so you pay less. 170bhp models (mostly) come under the new tax bands, so will get very expensive very soon.

150bhp models use a single pack of five coils, with HT leads. If you get an ignition fault, you need to replace the whole pack or all of the HT leads. The 170bhp uses individual packs that can be replaced individually.

You can feel the difference between the two, although the 150 is meant to have slightly more low down torque. The extra 10 valves of the 170 is meant to change the power profile, but both will pull like a train from tickover.

My 170 comes with interior alarm sensors, my mates 150 doesn't. Alloys are different, although only cosmetically, they are the same size.

150's can be remapped to 170, but the 170's can also be remapped to 190, so they're pretty much similar there. The 150 can accept a big boost turbo and head up to 700+bhp if you really want to, I can't find an equivalent for the 170.

The sat nav is not worth paying the extra for, but the head unit does accept tv in if you want it. Both have glovebox based CD players.

Bodywork is identical, most parts are the same. I think the 170 has slightly bigger discs, but it doesn't make any difference.

How's that? :)

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
i nearly bought a 170 V5 and it was a great drive, got 40 mpg on a mixed test run too! But then another MK2 Cupra stole my heart.

Fantastic cars, definately value for money and if you do long journeys over short ones economical for what they are.

Jordan1990

150bhp models are old enough to take advantage of the old tax rules, so you pay less. 170bhp models (mostly) come under the new tax bands, so will get very expensive very soon.

150bhp models use a single pack of five coils, with HT leads. If you get an ignition fault, you need to replace the whole pack or all of the HT leads. The 170bhp uses individual packs that can be replaced individually.

You can feel the difference between the two, although the 150 is meant to have slightly more low down torque. The extra 10 valves of the 170 is meant to change the power profile, but both will pull like a train from tickover.

My 170 comes with interior alarm sensors, my mates 150 doesn't. Alloys are different, although only cosmetically, they are the same size.

150's can be remapped to 170, but the 170's can also be remapped to 190, so they're pretty much similar there. The 150 can accept a big boost turbo and head up to 700+bhp if you really want to, I can't find an equivalent for the 170.

The sat nav is not worth paying the extra for, but the head unit does accept tv in if you want it. Both have glovebox based CD players.

Bodywork is identical, most parts are the same. I think the 170 has slightly bigger discs, but it doesn't make any difference.

How's that? :)

Cheers for the info, no i wouldnt buy a 170 because it has sat nav, i have my own sat nav unit anyway so that wasnt an issue, and ive got my own stereo that i would put in it.

The info about the coils is interesting though, i didnt know that, im not sure weather to take that as a pro or con really, as i know the seperate coils can be very expensive on thier own, i knew someone who had to replace a coil on a 1.8T audi a3 which was "coil on plug" (im not sure if thats what the v5 is) and its not even worth mentioning how was audi would have charged.

If i got the 150 (which i think is much more likely) then depending on how much it would cost i would look at getting a remap, weather they could get more than an extra 20bhp or so im not sure, but any how im use to car with less power than a horse pulling a cart so 150bhp will do nicely for me.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
The separate coils on the 170 are about £25-£30 each (they are the coil on plug option that you mentioned), the 150 coil pack is around £150 (bolts on the side of the engine) and the leads about £40. Coils fail individually, so while you can replace them individually with the 170, you can't with the 150. Which is very frustrating, because they even look like five separate coils stuck together on the side of the engine!

I prefer the 170 coils, it means you can keep a spare in the boot for when one fails. And they WILL fail. The MAF is the other potential failure, but that's the same part for both engines.

By the way, if you're in doubt whether you're getting a 150 or 170, the HT leads are a big clue. There was a big overlap with cars and engines, some 150's got the 170 sat nav, some 170's got the 150's heated seats. The HT leads are mounted on top of the 150's engine case, whereas the 170 has nothing on show.

That 20bhp is pretty much fixed for a stage 1, some remappers can get maybe 1 or 2 more but that's it. You might get slightly more with exhaust, filter and stage 2, but the money starts to go up compared to the returns. And thinking about it, I've not heard of anyone having a stage 2 remap on a V5?

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Don't know where about's you are, but just had a quick look and this one popped up...

http://www.trade-it.co.uk/cars-seat...85k-9747127.html?impression=normal_impression

And no - it's not mine :p just thought it seemed like a reasonable deal assuming its got history with it...

Yeah, that seems pretty good to me, not excessive mileage either. It would just need checking for leaky doors or other obvious issues, but I think that would make a nice purchase for anyone after a V5.

Damo 85

Jul 31, 2010
Just thought I'd chip in. Had my V5 for 6months ish now. And purely for amount of car/per £ its by far the best I've had. Great engine, superb spec, build is as good if not better than audi's vw's of the same period, handles like its on a rails, and from a practical side its got a massive boot. never seen anything so big on a car this size!

I can't recommend these enough to anyone who shows interest in it! Buy a looked after one and you wont regret it!

Jambofuz

Great cars, much better spec'd than the golf, I had my t plate for just under a year, had to put a rad in it and sort the leaking rear door membrain seals but that was it. :)

xj8jagman

I own a V5 on 02 plate and a B5 2.8 Quattro Avant. The Audi is great for long hauls and a softer ride but for pure fun I'll take the Toledo every time. It is just sharper torquier and tighter, it's like a Mini or Lotus but with comfy seats and lots of toys and electrics that work.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
You put a V5 above a 2.8 Quattro? That's pretty good going! Although is it more to do with the sheer bulk of the Audi rather than BHP/torque figures?

salman_20vt

I am auto emoción al !!
Jul 3, 2011
Dubai - United Arab Emirates
I had previously owned a 2002 VW Bora V5, it was a very good car in everyway....I sold it due to financial reasons....after things settled down I opted for Bora's cute sister! The Toledo....since Toledo V5s are rare in Dubai I could not find a new Toledo V5 so I bought a 1.8 20v...my past experience with Bora V5 was excellent.....and you know its Middle East! And its very hot during the summers....never had AC problems, or engine heating or such....primarily because I cared for my car a lot...gave her a daily wash...kept clean....maintained engine regularly....made me worry free all the time....its like you take care for your car and your car takes care of you than! I would favor the V5 jordan....go for it if you find a good one...!

blue_haddock

Well i've just put a deposit down on an 03 V5 so i'll report back with my thoughts over the next few months.

monkeynut1984

Toledo V5 a wolf in sheeps clothing

Hi, first post so go easy on me!

I bought my seat Toledo v5 off eBay 15 months ago for £1500 which seemed really cheap for a very high spec and 170 bhp. My only complaint would be fuel economy, I drive round town mostly (sometimes a little over enthusiastically maybe!) and I tend to only get about 24 mpg, on longer motorway journeys I only get around 30 mpg.

I've just bought a 2008 Leon tdi as a replacement so the v5 must go, feel sad to be getting rid as I'll miss the comfort, the speed and the roar from the v5 engine. I won't miss the £70 fill ups every 350 miles!

Cheers,

bluehandle

Feb 28, 2011
Hi,

I has an X plate V5 (150) as a company car back in the day - I loved it, but was a bit annoyed that the 170 came out shortly afterwards.

I have now just bought a Y plate 170 (must be one of the earliest ones) as a replacement for my company car after a redundancy. This one is immaculate (the previous owner must have had a tooth brush out on it every weekend - even the underside of the bonnet has been polished.

I'm very happy with it. It's a no brainer when it comes to choose between a Golf or similar - even the V5 Bora's and Golfs are more expensive and have less than half the spec of the Toledo. If you have the choice, go for the 170, because it's actually more economical according to the data sheets, than the 150.

One thing though, I prefer the 150 wheels to the 170 ones. I have no idea why they changed them - the 170 wheels don't really match the rest of the car ... in my opinion anyway.

My advice, for reliability and rock solid engine, (some v5 golfs have easily done 250,000) get the Toledo - but I agree, not the most economical of choices.

Matt

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I got a set of the 150 wheels off a mate who was breaking his, and my car has the 17 inch wheels off the FR. What did the 170's come with originally?

mathew2233

v5 all the way
Nov 4, 2010
bradford abbas (dorset)
Hi

Hi I have a 52 plate v5 170bhp Toledo with 61000 mile on the clock this is pretty low for it's age and as a result have been offered £4000 for it at me local seat garage. On the reliability note I have had to replace the gear box this could be down to my driving though as I do like to drive it hard :) but other than that nothing big has gone wrong. I do recommend the sat nav head unit as it has better sound quality and the option of a tv input which a have done.

Mine is 1 of the top models so may be out your price range not sure what u have to spend but you can get allot for your money.

Just thought I'd add a pic of it so u can see what u can get for your money and maybe give u some ideas what to do with it when u get 1.

502aef3a-7092-d467.jpg

Hope the new car goes well for ya :)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members