V5 Pinking

Jester77

Nov 1, 2008
West London
www.ukdrn.co.uk
Hi All.

I've replaced my V5 with another 2001 model but this one has seems to have developed
a pinking problem.

I don't remember it doing it when I brought it or I wouldn't have bothered but it is doing it now under load.
I've tried decent fuel but not at a higher octane yet (should I have too?) but I was wondering what else I could try/check?
Plugs, fuel filter maybe?

Any advice guys.
Thanks.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
The 20 valve V5 should be run on higher octane fuel, 98 is best. It'll run on lower octane fuel but not as well.

Fuel filter won't make that much difference, but new plugs will. You might like to check your car running temperature as well. I used to find my old Astra was really bad when it was running hot, I had to be very careful until it had cooled down and then I could drive it again.

Jester77

Nov 1, 2008
West London
www.ukdrn.co.uk
The 20 valve V5 should be run on higher octane fuel, 98 is best. It'll run on lower octane fuel but not as well.

Fuel filter won't make that much difference, but new plugs will. You might like to check your car running temperature as well. I used to find my old Astra was really bad when it was running hot, I had to be very careful until it had cooled down and then I could drive it again.

You mention temperature and that is an issue as, the fans on this car seem to come on very early and are LOUD compared to my old car, it has been bothering me.
How can I check the temperature apart from the obvious way and anything else to try?

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
That suggests to me that you have an airlock in your system. Have you looked at your water level recently, when it's cold AND hot?

Jester77

Nov 1, 2008
West London
www.ukdrn.co.uk
That suggests to me that you have an airlock in your system. Have you looked at your water level recently, when it's cold AND hot?

I've just looked at the water level but only when it's cold, I will warm the engine up
and see what it does.
I checked the plugs and they are they correct type but they looked a little overheated and the gap seemed massive, they were meant to have been changed in December according to the service history (non VW - Seat) last 2 times.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Yes, although try and see from the outside if you can, as releasing the pressure will change the water level.

Have you had it on VAGCOM yet? I'm not sure whether anything might show up but it's worth a try.

Jester77

Nov 1, 2008
West London
www.ukdrn.co.uk
Yes, although try and see from the outside if you can, as releasing the pressure will change the water level.

Have you had it on VAGCOM yet? I'm not sure whether anything might show up but it's worth a try.

I've never noticed any change but then I took the top off and the level went up anyway.
After I warmed the engine up I went for a test drive and it even started pinking in 1st gear.
Could warn plugs cause all these issues?

No Vagcom yet.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Eek! Pinking in first gear is very bad, it's normally only present when you're loading the engine. I get it very occasionally on a hot day when I'm accelerating from 30 in fifth gear.

It does sound like your plugs just aren't having any say in when the fuel is burning. If you have doubt in their appearance or gap size, get them out of there. These are what I use;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120571974335

Have you checked for mayonnaise under the oil cap?

Jester77

Nov 1, 2008
West London
www.ukdrn.co.uk
Just been out and brought a new set of plugs to try and then checked the forum and see your reply.

No mayonnaise under the cap, I checked all those things when I brought the car.
Another thing that's different to the old car is the fact I have to throttle it when i first started in the morning, then it starts fine all day after.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Another thing that's different to the old car is the fact I have to throttle it when i first started in the morning, then it starts fine all day after.

I wouldn't worry too much about that, mine does the same as do a few more on here, whereas my mate's car starts on the button with no throttle every time. It just seems to be a 'characteristic' of some cars, there's no guaranteed fix.

I was trying to think what happens when plugs are getting old. The closest I've got to that is on my bike, after about 4000 miles the bike runs like an absolute dog, and I have to change the plugs to get anywhere. I guess it could be described as pinking, but if you imagine it's a 600cc 4 pot with very little torque, any sort of ignition problem and the bike will simply not run. I can imagine a V5 with old plugs will just be 'a bit noisy'.

Last edited:

Jester77

Nov 1, 2008
West London
www.ukdrn.co.uk
I'm letting the engine cool down now and then I'll changed the plugs.
I also have a new fuel filter left from before and I'll changed that as well.

It hardly pinked at all when it was cold today, it only did it bad when it was hot.
The fans are strange, they only come on for a quick blast and then turn off, fingers crossed the plug change will sove it but I'm not overly confident.

Jester77

Nov 1, 2008
West London
www.ukdrn.co.uk
Changed the filter and that didn't solve it, worth a try I guess.
I love the bit where you drive up the road after changing something like that and think "that's it, done it" and then oh :censored: I haven't.
Oh well try the plugs etc tomorrow.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Will try all these options so thanks for the help guys. I thought I would change the fuel filter first as it looks like hasn't been changed for many years, only problem now is I can't get the hoses off :censored:
See below.
http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=269950

Aha, you had the same trouble as i did with the fuel filter!! I haven't gone back to mine yet, but I did find this on my travels;

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=183956

But it looks like you finally got it off. I might do mine sometime next week...

Don't forget to treat it to a good batch of super, the highest RON you can find.

kewe

Jun 20, 2001
Edinburgh
Visit site
I'm letting the engine cool down now and then I'll changed the plugs.
I also have a new fuel filter left from before and I'll changed that as well.

It hardly pinked at all when it was cold today, it only did it bad when it was hot.
The fans are strange, they only come on for a quick blast and then turn off, fingers crossed the plug change will sove it but I'm not overly confident.

That sounds a bit like the dreaded low speed fan failure. The fans should come on constant at low speed when the engine starts to get a bit hot. If the low speed fails the fans try to compensate by blasting high speed on and off i.e. pulsing. Over time this will cause the main fusing at the battery to burn out so worth checking that too bud. :(

Temperature can also be checked by aircon code setting which uses a different temp sensor from the temp gauge.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.