V5 Pinking

Jester77

Nov 1, 2008
West London
www.ukdrn.co.uk
Well I got round to changing the MAF today (£60 allparts) and have just got back from a test drive and fingers crossed everything seemed to be okay.
No pinking even when the engine was hot and no managment light (yet).
I'm going to Goodwood tomorrow so I'll see how it goes on a longer run.

Colin C you're dead right about the fans, turned the AC off and they didn't pulse so where's the cheapest place to get them?

I'll update after my trip tomorrow.

Thanks everyone.

Colin C

Apr 1, 2003
Southampton
Visit site
Good news and what a diagnosis ;)

The radiator fans is a lot more expensive repair though, I think the fans are main dealer only and you will need a pair, they are relatively easy to fit though. The other option is to fit a nime unit inline, I have no experince of using a nime unit but if you carry out a search under mk1 Leon you will get some advice. Hope this link still works http://www.nime.co.uk/content.php?mk4fans

Jester77

Nov 1, 2008
West London
www.ukdrn.co.uk
Good news and what a diagnosis ;)

The radiator fans is a lot more expensive repair though, I think the fans are main dealer only and you will need a pair, they are relatively easy to fit though. The other option is to fit a nime unit inline, I have no experince of using a nime unit but if you carry out a search under mk1 Leon you will get some advice. Hope this link still works http://www.nime.co.uk/content.php?mk4fans

Thanks for the advice Colin, there next on the list, really annoying.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Isn't it around those sort of revs when it switches to it's different intake profile to keep the power going? From memory, there is a valve on the right hand side of the intake manifold, like a black plastic plunger. At somewhere around mid revs it operates to change the length of the manifold and allow higher revs. I'd hazard a guess that it's not operating properly, or at all?

That's purely a guess though.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.