Vagcom/vcds

Sl1ced

Oct 10, 2020
How expensive is this? I’m at the moment only concerned about seeing codes, I have a little eBay hand held job, this shows codes for engine abs srs etc. Would vcds show extra codes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
Depends whether you want to go legit or not , genuine ross-tech is into the hundreds, ebay/amazon clone a few pounds, there are the odd genuine second hand ones to be had occasionally.

Yes much more useful than handheld readers /Torque/Carista etc in my opinion

Personally owing to the age of our cars I dont see the need for or justify the expense of a brand new ross-tech - I will let your own moral clock decide

oggydoodaa

Dec 13, 2015
Basingstoke
I have a Full VCDS on my laptop and its got me out of a lot of weird and wonderful Volkswagen "perks". if you purchase from Ross-Tech themselves it will run you about (depending one what variation you choose) £180 and the software is a free download from their website - though Software ONLY works with a GENUINE Ross-Tech Cable.

Personal opinion, if you plan on keeping the car for a few years or staying with Volkswagen then definitely worth the money considering you can register upto 4 vehicles on the software on the basic package.

chriswales6

Mar 2, 2016
Cost me under £10 to get VCDS Lite working on a Windows laptop. Using a clone cable from ebay. It allows you to read most things & even activated my cruise control with it.

Then need to check the fuel pump timing on my TDI which it won't do.

Reactions: Sl1ced

Sl1ced

Oct 10, 2020
I’ve ordered a Chinese cable nd will install lite. If it’s shite it’s only a tenner lol

Reactions: iammooks

SteveWM

Jul 12, 2016
West Midalnds
Most people go for a VCDS clone cable and software. It is usually a much older version than the current Ross tech offering with no chance of it working if upgraded.

If you are happy to take the chance on the eBay route with it working then it is a tool worth having.

Older version for older car no longer in production sits OK with me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sl1ced

Oct 10, 2020
Most people go for a VCDS clone cable and software. It is usually a much older version than the current Ross tech offering with no chance of it working if upgraded.

If you are happy to take the chance on the eBay route with it working then it is a tool worth having.

Older version for older car no longer in production sits OK with me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah If I was doing i professionally I’d definately invest in the proper stuff. All I want to do is check fault codes etc. I’m not into programming stuff etc so it should do the job

chriswales6

Mar 2, 2016
The £10 cable I bought in 2016 still works. VCDS Lite is alright for reading codes & checking some settings.

Had to source an older full version to check the fuel pump timing. Still only cost me £10 in total so I'm not complaining...

smutts

Apr 12, 2020
For what it's worth.
I bought a genuine VCDS cable from Genden? for £170 seven years ago.
Its paid for itself at least ten times over.
Also it works for all VW, Seat, Skoda & Audi cars.
Software updates for new models fine.
Mine is not locked to a limited number of cars.

BUT when I last looked, the latest new genuine cables are limited to the number of individual cars that they can be used on, unless you pay stupid money.

A genuine older unlimited secondhand cable might be a better bet.

oggydoodaa

Dec 13, 2015
Basingstoke
For what it's worth.
I bought a genuine VCDS cable from Genden? for £170 seven years ago.
Its paid for itself at least ten times over.
Also it works for all VW, Seat, Skoda & Audi cars.
Software updates for new models fine.
Mine is not locked to a limited number of cars.

BUT when I last looked, the latest new genuine cables are limited to the number of individual cars that they can be used on, unless you pay stupid money.

A genuine older unlimited secondhand cable might be a better bet.

The cable I bought and i assume all the newer cables are locked to only 4 VIN numbers. Once one is entered you cant delete it, and for another 4 VIN "Slots" its like £180 or more.

smutts

Apr 12, 2020
Ouch! I'd best not lose mine then.

Looking at the VCDS site, looks like my old Hex Can cable isn't for models after 2016, or Lamborghini.:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

oggydoodaa

Dec 13, 2015
Basingstoke
Ouch! I'd best not lose mine then.

Looking at the VCDS site, looks like my old Hex Can cable isn't for models after 2016, or Lamborghini.:ROFLMAO:

That's the other thing, the newer cables support all the older models and the newer ones, the older cables only support upto a certain generation. But you get unlimited VIN's......depends what your situation is I guess

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise