vehicle speed sensor fault

enz

Feb 14, 2015
hello guys;

i got some problem with my ibiza fr 6l 20vt engine BJX code engine

1: Fault Found:
16885 - vehicle speed sensor: implausible signal
P0501 - 35-00--

if some one could help me with this fault code it will be perfect.

i dont know where this sensor.
this is only the fault code i got. no where else i toght its abs speed sensor and its not.
the speedometer working. only check engine warnning.

thanks for helping and sorry for my pretty lame english :X

enz

Feb 14, 2015
thanks for answer.

so let me get it right. the cranck sensor might be the problem?
on ibiza mk4 there is no sensor on transmission?

the cracnk sensor hide under the oil filter?

if it is so i checked the wiring and its look pretty good..

again thanks and sorry for my english

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
not sure where it is, but it is identified as "speed sensor crankshaft" or "impulse sender" depending on which part number for bjx the part no is 06 906 433 L hope this helps

enz

Feb 14, 2015
its been a while that im with this fault code. i reaplced the crankshaft sensor under the oil filter.
any other help?

Edward9th

Jul 22, 2009
Dorset
Unless I'm missing something, surely it can't be the crank sensor - that would give different speed indications for different gears?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Unless I'm missing something, surely it can't be the crank sensor - that would give different speed indications for different gears?

I'd think "correct" to the above, so that leaves the small module that provides pulses to the dash pod speedometer etc, but it was said to be working okay!

In my experience what happens is, the speedometer becomes erratic, you carry out a scan of the car modules and find "speed sensor fault" or a statement like that.

enz

Feb 14, 2015

I'd think "correct" to the above, so that leaves the small module that provides pulses to the dash pod speedometer etc, but it was said to be working okay!

In my experience what happens is, the speedometer becomes erratic, you carry out a scan of the car modules and find "speed sensor fault" or a statement like that.

thanks for answer.
so i tried somthing else, i pulled out the speedometer and check out the pins. its look normal.
well i did logs of the abs speed sensor they work good
i realize when i dirve "hard" the fault code appear. but when i dirve slow the fault is not appear
again the speedometer work perfectly all the time..

sorry for my shallow english..

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Do not worry about your English, it is okay for us I think, your fault is the bigger problem so far! I'd think that all that happens if you had an ABS sensor problem is that either the ABS would operate when it should not, or the ABS ECU would throw out a fault code.

enz

Feb 14, 2015
i tought the same. the abs ecu is clear from fault codes. every block on vag com is clear from codes only the egnine block gives this fault.
cant find this problem and its driving me crazy

georgeko

Jun 6, 2014
Hello there
I have the same problem for a year and a half , seen the day I bought my car .
had a lot of checking too
but still could not find the problem
The last time my mechanic tried to solve it for me , he sad that the problem is between the speedometer and the ECU , its mean that the ECU , don't receive signal about the speed of the car , so i need to got to some one that fixing the speedometer .
Didn't had the time yet to fix it , and had a lot of author things to deal with .

enz

Feb 14, 2015
new updae or what ever it called.
the fault is still there. but i tried to log my vehicle speed senor on vag com so it go this way measuring block 5 on engine block. i drive a bit and the speed at the block says always 0.
so its mean that the ecu didnt recive a signal..
any conclusion?.
well i tried to look for a problem with the harness. but i dont know where this vss wries goes and what color are they.

thanks for help

Last edited:

enz

Feb 14, 2015
Any one please? Some people say is the abs replace will solved the problem, but abs works pretty good, I tought maybe because my cruise control doesn't work the speed always show 0 on block 5 on engine. So I tried to look for the cruise control harness but cant find it, help it's driving me insane

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
You're going to have to trace all the wiring and look for a break.

Have you tried unplugging the sensors, cleaning up the contacts and plugging them back in - some water or dirt could have got in and caused a bad connection.

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
if it's any help Haynes book shows the vehicle speed sensor as a separate "box" with 3 wires listed in the instrument cluster diagram fed by a black wire from the switched side of the ignition switch /a brown earth and a white and blue wire to the instrument cluster terminal 32/6 it shares a common earth with the brake fluid low switch

enz

Feb 14, 2015
well my instrument cluster works fine my fault is check engine and fault code :
16885 - vehicle speed sensor: implausible signal
P0501 - 35-00--
as i said before i sreach for 3 wries blue white and brown wires and failed to find them. my abs wheel sensor works fine and read the speed perfectly. when i leave Accelerator the car jerks and keep going this way.
any way i will try ur advice. thanks anyway

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
not white, blue and brown---------blue and white -----brown----and black(switched live feed) keep tryin' :)

Cheshire car, my feeling here is, as the speedometer is being reported as working okay, then that "box" is working okay and sending its signal back to at least part of the instrument cluster, what is unclear is, where this signal branches off to after that, or gets retransmitted from the instrument cluster, for use elsewhere by the car's other modules, one of which seems not to be getting this signal or can not use that data so is declaring a fault condition.

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
So it's possible its still a broken signal wire in the instrument cluster?

The broken solder joints are a complete pig to see at times, if it's not clear in your view you might not be able to see it at all.

When I re-soldered my instrument cluster I had to get the thing just at the right angle and get the light on it to be able to identify the broken solder joint.