Volcano Red Metallic

chrispaulin

Paintwork Problems

I have an Ibiza January 2003 model which seems to suffer very badly from stone chips. When cleaning it yesterday it looked as though someone had fired a shotgun at the bonnet!
There is also an area on the offside wing which appears to have the lacquer off and just shows a dull paint finish underneath.
Has anyone else suffered similar problems with their paintwork in general or Volcano Red metallic in particular?
Would this sort of problem be covered by the Seat paint warranty?
Any comments would be gratefully received.
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Snoopy

Apr 24, 2002
Durham, England.
I had paint quality problems like you describe with my ebony black cupra R it seems to effect certain colours.

BUT saying that i had no problems with my volcano red MK2 ibiza GTI which i bought new and ran for quite a few years. It suffered a few stone chips in the first month and the paint seemed a bit soft at first but after that first month it was fine.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
About a month after I got my Ibiza I noticed a patch at the bottom corner of my drivers door that doesn't match, presumably it's missing lacquer or something.

Never bothered to get it sorted though - as it took a month for me to notice, I thought I'd rather live with it than risk getting the door resprayed and not match the rest of the car. That, and the supplying dealer is in Holland too ;-)

jonathanrp

paint chips

did you get anything from the dealer for the chips? Like yourself I cleaned up my 1.6 Leon SX for sale and found to my dismay thatthe bonnet was very chipped. The rest of the car is lovely. I felt let down! I don't suppose the dealership will compensate but did you have any luck with them?

Ibiza 130 tdi

Black Magic
Jan 15, 2007
Somerset
Paint normally flakes and stuff if it's been painted - like re-sprayed. It's normally bad preparation if paint comes off. Or just where you drive - e.g. motorway you'll get a lot of stonechips.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
I found my Ibiza was very very prone to stonechips.
I've been driving the same route to & from work for over 10 years and no other car I've owned suffered from stonechips anywhere near as much.

The whole front end was covered in them after 80k miles, looked like it had been driven through a meteor shower - bonnet, leading edges of wings, bumper, and leading edge of roof.

Guinness

Finally got the BMW
Nov 29, 2006
Newcastle
Mine doesnt get very bad at all only a few here and ther granted it has done half what yours has done matey, think it might just show on some colours worse that others.

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
its not just your colour, they are all bad with stone chips. It showed up worse on my Red one, bad paint quaklity unfortunately. have to say BMW paint seems to be a lot better and resiliant to stone chips.

i also found when i had my bumper resprayed i got hardly any chips on that over a yr, and the rest of the car still picked up chips. Not good

Tallica

Aug 8, 2007
its not just your colour, they are all bad with stone chips. It showed up worse on my Red one, bad paint quaklity unfortunately. have to say BMW paint seems to be a lot better and resiliant to stone chips.

i also found when i had my bumper resprayed i got hardly any chips on that over a yr, and the rest of the car still picked up chips. Not good

.................but I would still rather drive a Seat with no paint on it than a
BMW Mini Cooper! :whistle: ;)

st10587

i only brake for cake!!!!
Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
i work for bmw and have driven the minis and i personally dont like them, they seem to have rock hard suspension, rattle badly and have a few flat spots.

back on subject it could just be the thickness of paint applied at factory?

Ibiza 130 tdi

Black Magic
Jan 15, 2007
Somerset
i work for bmw and have driven the minis and i personally dont like them, they seem to have rock hard suspension, rattle badly and have a few flat spots.

I totally agree. My sister has a Mini cooper and it shakes my eye balls its that hard ride. Plus it's gutless. And the bloody door lock pins rattle ALL the time. [:@]

But hey! There's one thing good I can say about them - they hold their money like nothing else!

st10587

i only brake for cake!!!!
Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
I totally agree. My sister has a Mini cooper and it shakes my eye balls its that hard ride. Plus it's gutless. And the bloody door lock pins rattle ALL the time. [:@]

But hey! There's one thing good I can say about them - they hold their money like nothing else!

i know we have ones on our forcourt and i look at the prices of them and think bloody hell every time! they have a suprisingly high list of common fault to!

Tallica

Aug 8, 2007
i know we have ones on our forcourt and i look at the prices of them and think bloody hell every time! they have a suprisingly high list of common fault to!

What does this tell you about the fickle British car buying public? :whistle:

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
.................but I would still rather drive a Seat with no paint on it than a
BMW Mini Cooper! :whistle: ;)

Oh don't turn this into another anti-Mini thread FFS.

Ant was just commenting about the paint difference between manufacturers, in the same way that I found that the paint on my Passat was far better than it was on my Ibiza.

Guinness

Finally got the BMW
Nov 29, 2006
Newcastle
just saying he could say compared to the mini instead of a generalised manufacture summary, also lets face it its comments like that, that start this whole lark.

GazGT

Jun 25, 2005
Manchester
What shade of red is volcano red? Mine is pretty bad for stone chips too. Really shows up on my car's colour due to having light coloured primer underneath.

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.