W/Screen wiper snag

Cking

My 51 plate Alhambra is falling apart!!. The latest snag is that the windscreen wipers have stopped working. I have checked the fuse (No24) thats OK so the next thing I want to look at is the control solenoid. My logic is that they have stopped in the "stowed" position not on the screen. My question is where the h**l is it? or has anybody got a better idear?
It is typical that the moment that it is off an all expense paid lease the dann thing falls apart!

Thanks in advance Cking

bigall

Car User for 50 years
Mar 22, 2005
Sorry I can't help you, but can you help me ? How did you know about a solenoid ?
I am having bother with my rear wipers not parking. Is there a circuit diagram available anywhere ?

Many thanks if you can assist.

Cking

Ah bigall, I'd kill for a circuit diagram!!!!. I've Googled and Yahooed for things like that and found nothing. As for the soleniod I'm just guessing that it will have something to controll the wipers.
The good news is that I found the cause of the wipers not working! The nut on the end of the wiper gearbox was loose! Once tightened the wipers worked as per normal.
Can't help you with your problem though, sounds like the motor is still recieving power from somewhere . Have you tried to clean the contacts in the wiper switch?

Rgds Cking

bigall check the condition of the cables to the rear hatch? common cause of electrical faults in either the doors or the rear hatch is the failure of these cables! you can pick up copies of a cd called the TIS on ebay this is fords own electronic workshop manual and it contains wireing diagrams for all models of the Galaxy which is the superior upmarket version of the budget MPV all you guys drive :p
joke lads joke :p

bigall

Car User for 50 years
Mar 22, 2005
fredt - thanks for the info on the TIS CD. I'll have to wait for my wife to come back from holiday as she has the key to Ebay !!
The fault is intermittent during the rear wiper operation. It always commences the wipe but stutters in operation and sometimes doesn't park for ages.
You would think that if the fault was in the cabling on the hatch hinge it would be a constant not variable fault.

just to be sure check the cables! they dont always break cleanly! with all the vibrations from todays crap road surfaces a dodgy connection AKA frayed wired can cause intermitant problems!
another problem could be the wiper spindle seizing in the shaft, does the wiper operate correctly? if the blade is lifted from the screen? the reduction if drag could help and help narrow down the cause of the fault?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.