Warrantywise have actually come up with the goods (Cracked Pump)

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston
I found out I had a cracked waterpump/coolent leak (2015 Cupra). Apparently it's a known issue and there is an updated pump now (Never seen the issue on here before though).

It seems to be alot more common on the S3s for some reason:

Warrantywise have covered it with no problems which is a win.

Sorry to worry people who didn't know about this problem, its better knowing than not knowing I guess though. :happy:

Its costing just south of £800, trawling through the Audi forum people were paying £1100 for the same thing on 2015 S3s.

pburv

Jan 18, 2015
I'm a member on that forum and have just sold my S3. Luckily I never had the problem. From memory I think there were a few people who had their pumps replaced a lot cheaper by getting it done at an indy instead of Audi. What worries me a bit is that my Cupra Ateca has pretty much the same engine as the S3 and wonder if it will have the same issue crop up?

Reactions: Tonezz

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston
I'm a member on that forum and have just sold my S3. Luckily I never had the problem. From memory I think there were a few people who had their pumps replaced a lot cheaper by getting it done at an indy instead of Audi. What worries me a bit is that my Cupra Ateca has pretty much the same engine as the S3 and wonder if it will have the same issue crop up?

I am getting it done at an indy, there is an updated water pump so depending on the year of the car it might have the updated one. I don't know when exactly they got updated though.

Reactions: pburv

pburv

Jan 18, 2015
Yeah Had similar thoughts.. It's a Feb 2019 build.. If anyone can elaborate on this topic it would be appreciated.(y)

pburv

Jan 18, 2015
Looks like I dodged a bullet there then ha ha. My S3 saloon was a 2015 build.. Cheers for looking that up ;)

Last edited:

jt20vt

Sep 17, 2010
Happened to my 17 reg cupra, the indy garage I use noticed a leek on its first mot which I had done early so got it covered under warranty. They did thermostat and pump.

Reactions: Tonezz

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston
Happened to my 17 reg cupra, the indy garage I use noticed a leek on its first mot which I had done early so got it covered under warranty. They did thermostat and pump.

Same £790. :oops:

Reading that Audi post though people paid way over £1k on the S3.

pburv

Jan 18, 2015
£670 For this one on the audi sport.net post

Martinbanshee
MartinbansheeRegistered User
I've just had my thermostat and seals replaced on my 2014 S3 while it was in for a service and MOT, they noticed a bit of residue below the thermostat housing and recommended replacement so I've had it done before it gets worse.
The dealer also gave me a bottle of coolant in case it burps more air out the system over the next few miles, the S3 is notorious for air in the cooling system. Not under warranty so cost £670.
S3 Saloon S-Tronic APR Stage 1, Misano Red, Comfort Pack, Adaptive Cruise Control, Audi Sound System, Mono-Pur, Electric Folding Mirrors, Hill-Hold Assist, Black Interior....
Martinbanshee, Nov 3, 2018Report
#81Like+ QuoteRepl

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston
I think there has been more than 1 itertion of the pump and that thread is from 2017.

There probably is another newer one now. Also some people will have just got direct replacements of the original which will probably crack again.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.