Washers not working

Noel<>leoN

Oct 5, 2007
Hopefully someone might be able to suggest something else I can try here!

My front windscreen washers (both nozzles) have stopped working properly. When I pull the lever to get them to spray I get a tiny trickle out of the left one, and a couple of jets out of the right one, but they both used to produce a big spray of washer fluid.

I can't see anything stuck in the nozzles, and it seems a bit odd they'd both get clogged at the same time. I've had a poke at the nozzle anyway and it hasn't helped.

Any idea what could be going wrong?

I've definitely not run out of washer fluid, I only topped it up with concentrate recently when the weather got colder. The rear windscreen washes fine and the wipers (front and back) all work fine.

Is there a separate pump for front and back washers?

The nozzles are actually part of the bonnet, and the only tube I can see going into the bonnet (when open) is on the driver's side. Doesn't seem to be leaking.

I'm kind of out of ideas what else to look at, so suggestions welcome.

Otherwise I guess its off to the garage.......

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Low fluid (you can probably rule this out because the rear one works.

Kinked hose?

Blockage?

Leak?

faulty check valve? The one way valve that stops the fluid in the pipes dribbling back to the tank. (should look like a bulbus bit somewhere along the tube about the size of a cherry.>>>>>>>http://www.johncraddockltd.co.uk/la...on-return-valve-screen-wash-system-90110.html or>>>>>>>http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mvyk2rFbcO8GZn4tT5iZK2g.jpg

that's about it really because the pump is obviously running.

Last edited:

Tfsi_Mike

Aug 30, 2007
Doncaster / Germany (Army)
If the bonnet isnt closed properly (or perhaps if the catch sensor is faulty) the Washer jets won't work

I didn't realise my bonnet wasn't closed propperly recently and spent a while checking fuses etc lol

tony323ci

Lovin' it
May 15, 2011
Nottingham
If the bonnet isnt closed properly (or perhaps if the catch sensor is faulty) the Washer jets won't work

I didn't realise my bonnet wasn't closed properly recently and spent a while checking fuses etc lol

amazing so they put in a sensor to prevent them operating if your bonnet is not shut but to f**king idle to put a low level warning lamp in the dashboard :censored:

sorry the above doesn't help the OP but that's covered in other posts :)

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
^^^^^So does mine but that's because mine has OEM xenons. The low fluid sensor isn't fitted to all models, it's dependant on the spec.

tony323ci

Lovin' it
May 15, 2011
Nottingham
yep no xenons on mine so no low level sensor one thing that irritates me I mean it would probably only cost them 20p to fit in the factory and this is the first car I have had in 20 years without one

tony323ci

Lovin' it
May 15, 2011
Nottingham
Is it something that can be vcds enabled Tony? And is the OP sure there not just frozen lol?

No idea if it can be enabled with VCD if it was that easy surely Seat would do that

As for frozen mine were last week took 4 hours driving before they worked again maybe the fluid was a bit weak I believe washer fluid has a level of anti-freeze agent in it

Noel<>leoN

Oct 5, 2007
Quick update: stuck a pin in the gap and wiggled it around a bit, scraped side to side etc.Seems to have pretty much resolved it- drivers side good as new, passenger side produces a good jet, just not a mist. Cleans the windscreen though, that's all that matters!

Aok82

Aug 18, 2012
Finland, Uudenmaanlääni
I had the same problem. The hose that runs to the nozzles has a few points where it can be unplugged/disconnect. check those, mine had a loose fit and it dripped all the fluid out.
Open the bonnet and look on the far side of the engine and you´ll fine a little black hose that goes to the nozzles.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Is the washer aim adjustable? it's too dark outside at the moment to check, the spray pattern on mine seems rather low.

Mandu

Aug 4, 2012
Finland
www.youtube.com
I need some help..
I did not use wipers a couple of weeks because it was about 15-25 degrees below zero. Now that the weather is condensed, the liquid is no longer coming in to the windscreen. The pump is working and the fuse is OK. Similarly, the rear window, no liquid. Headlights becomes liquid. The car is sure to melt in between, so I do not think that any of the pipe blocked icing is all about.

Where do I start? Could it be that the above-mentioned one-way valve? Where is it located?

As I recall, the last 1M model headlights and glasses were different pumps. So, the problem is somewhere between the pump and nozzles?

The car is left-hand drive Seat Leon Cupra 2008.

My English is not the best, but I hope you understand.

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.