Water in boot? Leon 2016

gamerdood123

Oct 1, 2020
United Kingdom
Hi all I have a 1.4ecotsi 150bhp 5 door Seat Leon hatchback, 2016. UK based

Previously had a 2013 2.0tdi 150bhp one which was faultless, this 2016 one is turning into a nightmare with just 30k!

So water is getting into the boot spare wheel well as seen on photo, photo couple weeks old, dried out with towel and have since rained alot and is worse than the photo by far!

All the carpets ect feel dry, can't feel water run down anywhere around the well accept a tiny dribble passanger side back corner, but only noticed that once in the 50 times I've looked so within margin or error!

Car has no sunroof, below back seats appears dry to touch. Only owned the car a month so can't say how bad it gets really but doesn't appear terrible.

When I dried it out, I tried filling a jug lots of times and pooing water over fuel cap, roof either side and middle, boot rear wiper/around glass, back lights, boot hinges, so in and so forth, can't seem to get it purposely dump water into the well! Havnt used hose as I have to run it around house across next doors fence ect so was hoping to avoid that!

It is under warrenty for a year, but it was bought from a Pergeot garage, they took it in part ex, so unsure how helpful they will be! So going to find location as best I can and then when I book it in for a knock noise it makes going over speed bumps I'll get them to look at this too! (sounds like rear shock mount but not sure, sometimes I think it's the front instead)

Thank you for any help or tips given!

Please note, photo are bad, just gone out to take photo and cars on hill so hard to show, will add photos Tomorow!

Attachments

• IMG_20201010_131501.jpg
    IMG_20201010_131501.jpg
    777.9 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_20201010_131458.jpg
    IMG_20201010_131458.jpg
    788.2 KB · Views: 234

Jay5959

FR 184
Apr 26, 2020
Try loosening the trim on the side panels in the boot near to the rear lights. There are cabin vents behind this, set into the bumper that are known to fail. I had the same issue and water was collecting underneath the rear passenger side light, this was spilling over into the main boot area. See the attached picture

Attachments

• 4CDE33E8-470A-4E0B-8428-918468C79A99.jpeg
    4CDE33E8-470A-4E0B-8428-918468C79A99.jpeg
    852.3 KB · Views: 277
Reactions: gamerdood123

gamerdood123

Oct 1, 2020
United Kingdom
Try loosening the trim on the side panels in the boot near to the rear lights. There are cabin vents behind this, set into the bumper that are known to fail. I had the same issue and water was collecting underneath the rear passenger side light, this was spilling over into the main boot area. See the attached picture
Hi, thank you for your response!
I didn't know that was there so I'll take that off next time it's dry and have a look, hopefully it's something simple like this! Is this the bit the parcel shelf would sit on?
Hopefully it's easily removed!
Thank you

Reactions: Jay5959

Jay5959

FR 184
Apr 26, 2020
Hi, thank you for your response!
I didn't know that was there so I'll take that off next time it's dry and have a look, hopefully it's something simple like this! Is this the bit the parcel shelf would sit on?
Hopefully it's easily removed!
Thank you
Hi mate,
to access it you first need to remove the inner boot lip cover/protecter. Take the boot floor out, and pull from the bottom of the plastic trim outwards first then upwards. Then the upper plastic trim, which the parcel shelf sits on needs popping open, I didn’t remove mine fully. It has one torx screw (see pic) then it pops out with a bit of a pull. This will give you access to remove the fabric part of the lower boot trim. It’s just below the rear light, but you’ll also be able to see if it’s the lights that’s letting in or from higher up the c pillar (welds have been know to go here!). I’ve attached a couple of pics which should help. If it is the seals on the cabin vents letting in, I believe it’s a rear bumper off job. Although my warranty did not cover water ingress, they did it on good faith. Hopefully this helps, as water ingress can be a nightmare to find and sort.
Cheers,
Jay

Attachments

• D7635811-613E-4D86-9EC4-02F07B730D95.jpeg
    D7635811-613E-4D86-9EC4-02F07B730D95.jpeg
    462 KB · Views: 241
  • EE83E765-854E-49F4-A34A-0F7FB7E70917.jpeg
    EE83E765-854E-49F4-A34A-0F7FB7E70917.jpeg
    493.5 KB · Views: 238

Jay5959

FR 184
Apr 26, 2020
Forgot to mention, for the drivers side take care with the boot light, I removed this first before pulling at trim ?

gamerdood123

Oct 1, 2020
United Kingdom
@Jay5959
Hi thank you for the detailed information! This will really help to take it apart!

I was hoping to have a look yesterday and get back here today, but sadly living in Wales it hammered it down with rain yesterday! I have booked it into pergeot for Tuesday the 10th (they're closed until 9th - Wales lockdown) .

They want the car for 2 days minimum, said they'd look at the knocking noise (which has suddenly lessened since calling them typically) and would investigate the water but said that they'd let me know if it's covered under warrenty as it depends what's causing it, but are willing to look for free, so I can't complain!
Hopefully I'll get a chance to look before next week, so I know what to tell them!

With all the rain yesterday it appears to have no extra water in it which makes me think its splashing upwards whilst driving along or parked at certain angle?

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I'd sit inside the boot with the floor out and get your significant other to hose the car before I started pulling panels off. Could save you a lot of aggravation in the long run.

Reactions: Jay5959 and SRGTD

Speedbird

Aug 10, 2018
Hi mate,
to access it you first need to remove the inner boot lip cover/protecter. Take the boot floor out, and pull from the bottom of the plastic trim outwards first then upwards. Then the upper plastic trim, which the parcel shelf sits on needs popping open, I didn’t remove mine fully. It has one torx screw (see pic) then it pops out with a bit of a pull. This will give you access to remove the fabric part of the lower boot trim. It’s just below the rear light, but you’ll also be able to see if it’s the lights that’s letting in or from higher up the c pillar (welds have been know to go here!). I’ve attached a couple of pics which should help. If it is the seals on the cabin vents letting in, I believe it’s a rear bumper off job. Although my warranty did not cover water ingress, they did it on good faith. Hopefully this helps, as water ingress can be a nightmare to find and sort.
Cheers,
Jay

I like those velcro storage pouch nets in your boot, never seen them before. Are they stuck solid? Got a link to where you bought them from? Cheers.

Jay5959

FR 184
Apr 26, 2020
@Jay5959
Hi thank you for the detailed information! This will really help to take it apart!

I was hoping to have a look yesterday and get back here today, but sadly living in Wales it hammered it down with rain yesterday! I have booked it into pergeot for Tuesday the 10th (they're closed until 9th - Wales lockdown) .

They want the car for 2 days minimum, said they'd look at the knocking noise (which has suddenly lessened since calling them typically) and would investigate the water but said that they'd let me know if it's covered under warrenty as it depends what's causing it, but are willing to look for free, so I can't complain!
Hopefully I'll get a chance to look before next week, so I know what to tell them!

With all the rain yesterday it appears to have no extra water in it which makes me think its splashing upwards whilst driving along or parked at certain angle?
Yeah mine would only get water in when driving too, hope you get it sorted mate ?

Jay5959

FR 184
Apr 26, 2020
I like those velcro storage pouch nets in your boot, never seen them before. Are they stuck solid? Got a link to where you bought them from? Cheers.
Yeah they’re just Velcro, but stick on great. I think these were the ones.......

Grneric 4 Pcs Car Storage Net, Car Back Rear Trunk Seat Mesh Net,Trunk Storage Net, Magic Adhesive Mesh Cargo Net,Holder for Kids Luggage Truck Bed or Trunk,Easy To Install/Remove https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08GHKLY8Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_EbbOFbBX80AC5?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Reactions: Speedbird

gamerdood123

Oct 1, 2020
United Kingdom
Yes will try sitting in boot first with car being hosed. Thanks all!

I give boss lift to and from work two days and he gives me lift two days, today he couldn't get in car, Its developed this problem, not every time but sometimes you pull handle:

Jay5959

FR 184
Apr 26, 2020
Yes will try sitting in boot first with car being hosed. Thanks all!

I give boss lift to and from work two days and he gives me lift two days, today he couldn't get in car, Its developed this problem, not every time but sometimes you pull handle:
Ah, yeah that’s not ideal!

gamerdood123

Oct 1, 2020
United Kingdom
So they had the car back late last night and have called them today at 5pm, sadly they can't recreate the water getting in and I never built the confidence, nor had time to take panel off to check by there!

I have linked them to this post, they are going to have a look Tomorow at car again and hopefully this post is going to help!

Also the handle appeared fine to them, which it is most of the time and just randomly gives issue, have told them how I recreated it hoping they can sort it!

Thank you all for your help everyone, I will keep you posted!

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Dealers are completely and utterly useless at fault finding. If it doesn't show up on the scanner, they're stumped. All the want to do is simple routine stuff that makes money and that's all their mechanics are qualified to do.

gamerdood123

Oct 1, 2020
United Kingdom
Dealers are completely and utterly useless at fault finding. If it doesn't show up on the scanner, they're stumped. All the want to do is simple routine stuff that makes money and that's all their mechanics are qualified to do.

I have to be fair, my partner bought her car from this garage, and that's the only reason I was willing to buy car from them, they're normally really good! Fingers crossed they will be able to sort this :)

gamerdood123

Oct 1, 2020
United Kingdom
They have replaced vents in the boot as suggested, just driven home in heavy rain and it appears to have done the job! They also lubricanted the handle which seems to have worked so far! And have changed a shock which appears to have done the job with the knocking noise.

Again time will tell, but thank you all for your help!

Reactions: Jay5959 and Mr Pig
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.