Waterpump failure "ESTIMATED" mileage?

Dan_lcr225

Was just wondering what the average mileage is that the original waterpump is likely to fail? after owning a golf gti 1.8t before my LCR i no the water pump will eventually fail (plastic impeller brakes off).

Ive only recently bought the car which the previous owner had the cambelt changed but not the pump.

Dan_lcr225

ok chap, will see what others say, Im currently at 59.400

andycupra

status subject to change
Id get it done to be honest for what it cost outway what it wil cost to repair if it fails

you think?
for most people when the pump fails its simply been the cost of a repalacement, which would be the same as replacing it now.

People do it when they have the cambelt changed as the bits you need to remove to do a water pump have been removed to do the belt so is relatively cheap.

In this case the belt has been done, but the water pump not.

For me the question whether to replace the pump now or wait till next belt change is what potential damage would a water pump failure inflict?
Its the impellar that fails rather than the motor, and from what i have read secondary damage is not typically an issue.

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
you think?
for most people when the pump fails its simply been the cost of a repalacement, which would be the same as replacing it now.

People do it when they have the cambelt changed as the bits you need to remove to do a water pump have been removed to do the belt so is relatively cheap.

In this case the belt has been done, but the water pump not.

For me the question whether to replace the pump now or wait till next belt change is what potential damage would a water pump failure inflict?
Its the impellar that fails rather than the motor, and from what i have read secondary damage is not typically an issue.

Agreed, the temp rises to 120 ish you turn off the engine that's it, then go get it fixed.

Graham89

Feb 21, 2010
Chelmsford, Essex
Agreed, the temp rises to 120 ish you turn off the engine that's it, then go get it fixed.

Mine failed and was still able to drive it keeping temp at 90 if you didnt exceed 40mph in 6th. Only done 10 miles to get me home as it was urgent i was home!! (family issue)

graham463

Apr 12, 2010
tewkesbury
just rememember if you are miles from any where and it goes, you will end up with a recovery charge too and if you are on the motorway it will be even more

stewbie55

No longer a Newbie
Aug 12, 2006
Mine went earlier this year at just 40k miles. The cambelt was due anyway so got both done at the same time. I was able to nurse it home when it went and into the garage the next day to get it fixed:whistle:

Dan_lcr225

ok so i got round to changing my pump the weekend, for peace of mind i changed it at 59,800 miles,

i got to work and when pulling the pump out i found the impeller in half, hmmm interesting find, now all back together with a metal pump.
waterpumps.jpg

dainott2105

mk1 Cupra and mk2 FR TDI
Nov 4, 2006
swansea
mine was 55k and as above if you stay 40mph and keep the revs down can get home. Have the TT metal bladed one now and also changed the belt same time.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise