Welly's MK2 GTI try hard - gone but not forgotten

welly

Feb 20, 2009
Sussex/London
This is how it looked when I bought it. There were a few rust spots, and generally it looked a bit of an ugly duckling :(

carpics002.jpg

carpics001.jpg

carpics003.jpg

carpics004.jpg

carpics005.jpg

carpics006.jpg

carpics007.jpg

carpics011.jpg

carpics012.jpg

But I could see its POTENTIAL

Last edited:

welly

Feb 20, 2009
Sussex/London
A few months later; A fairly heft bill at the bodyshop and all the rust is gone, arches now smooth and the seals in the door all whited up and 6 panels resprayed. personal plate, Spax 40mm springs, 17” OZ Superlegs (still with L-plates at this stage)

DSC02391.jpg

Work in progress on fitting facelift front bumper and wings

IMAGE_069.jpg

Last edited:

welly

Feb 20, 2009
Sussex/London
GTI reflective boot trims and de-wipered
DSC02826.jpg

Twin subs, 'cos at 17 bass is more important than space
DSC02824.jpg

GTI full interior and electric windows
DSC02838.jpg

DSC02833.jpg

Facelift GTI bumper and front wings
DSC02829.jpg

Nice half leather seats
DSC02825.jpg

DSC02828.jpg

DSC02831.jpg

DSC02835.jpg

welly

Feb 20, 2009
Sussex/London
Thanks mate. Yep, it was only thin metal, luckily not structual, its been straightened, polished and sprayed since. If you mean what was wrong with me buying a gti, I'm 17 so insurance is hefty or if you mean what was wrong with the kiwi gti, its my dads track car, so things like leccy windows arn't really neccesarily which has worked out well for me!

stezo2k

Anjuna Monkey
Mar 15, 2008
Dudley
cars looking great so far :) loving what youve done with the interior so far

keep up the good work

welly

Feb 20, 2009
Sussex/London
Thanks! Yeah, I'm quite pleased with the interior, quite a nice place to be, just got to diagnose the gti gauges buzzing issue and then they're straight in then thats the interior ticked off.

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Hawick, Scottish Borders, Scotland
Car is looking great mate. Loving the interior, thats next on my list of things to do.

Love the front facelift on it. You were lucky to have your dads track car that you could get parts from.

Keep up the good work. Whats next on your list??

The buzzing issue with the clocks, Im sure it is one of the indicator bulbs or oil bulbs, take them out and it should stop.

welly

Feb 20, 2009
Sussex/London
Thanks mate. Yeah, thats the reason why I got one, we got them within weeks of each, a cheap way of modding. I've already got gti sideskirts, a facelift rear bumper and a rear window with a spoiler on, so thats the next little things. I'm toying with the idea of mk 3 cupra alloys and coilovers and ovbiously get the front bumper sprayed. Hmmmm, too easy to spend a lot of money.:)

bullet_tooth

Nice work mate, where in Bognor are u? I haven't seen it about

bullet_tooth

Wicked, I like the mk3, u getting a cupra? I'm near little tescos by aldwick angling

welly

Feb 20, 2009
Sussex/London
Haha right near me, im off nyewood lane. Yeah picked up a mk3 cupra about a week ago, its killing me it sitting on the driveway. Could get a little mini meet going at some point.

bullet_tooth

Lol, sounds cool, I hope that Hampshire meet happens, that would be a laugh! I'll keep an eye out for ya and give u a flash, im in a standard mk5 White cupra

welly

Feb 20, 2009
Sussex/London
After a payout from the insurance, we returned the car to standard, and sold it to a team doing a London-Newquay charity run in aid of Help for Heroes.

DSC03599.jpg

DSC03602.jpg

DSC03603.jpg

DSC03606.jpg

DSC03609.jpg

Snowytank1.jpg

Snowytank2.jpg

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members