What other things get in the way of you working on the car

• Thread starter Deleted member 103408
  • Start date

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Over the last year or so, it's been this little beauty that's taken most of my spare time, trying to get it running right with my limited mechanical knowledge....

View attachment 16352

I don't get an awful lot of spare time if I'm honest what with work, walking the dogs and ferrying kids around all over the place amongst other things, but I had this great (read stupid) idea that I wanted to relive my youth and step back 30 years to when I first had a Suzuki GP100 on the road at 17.

I'd forgotten how horrible 2-strokes were when they're not running right :D

Getting there slowly, and I'm never selling it so anything I do to it will be worth it in the end. It's not too bad for an unrestored 36 year old machine I guess :)

Doing all the work on it myself too, as it was bought as something to tinker with as much as it was to ride to be honest. I've learnt an awful lot in the last 14 or so months.....
That looks like it's in great condition! Life goals for you then

Reactions: SteveW

SteveW

Jul 1, 2020
Salisbury, Wiltshire
That looks like it's in great condition! Life goals for you then
For one that's not been restored it is in pretty good condition. it's done 19,000 miles and if you look closely at it there are a lot of things that aren't perfect, but as said it's 36 years old now - and I bought it to ride, not to cover up and only bring out for shows etc.

Obviously not going to be doing any long road trips on the thing - I used to get 70mph out of my old GP, but I'm a fair bit heavier now than I was back then so I'd be lucky to get 55 out of one now I reckon :D

Just fancied an old 2-stroke before they're all either dead or have increased in value so much that I couldn't justify spending the money on a toy that will only come out in the dry through the summer :)

The old RD's and Gammas are already fetching crazy money!

Reactions: Seastormer

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
For one that's not been restored it is in pretty good condition. it's done 19,000 miles and if you look closely at it there are a lot of things that aren't perfect, but as said it's 36 years old now - and I bought it to ride, not to cover up and only bring out for shows etc.

Obviously not going to be doing any long road trips on the thing - I used to get 70mph out of my old GP, but I'm a fair bit heavier now than I was back then so I'd be lucky to get 55 out of one now I reckon :D

Just fancied an old 2-stroke before they're all either dead or have increased in value so much that I couldn't justify spending the money on a toy that will only come out in the dry through the summer :)

The old RD's and Gammas are already fetching crazy money!
I still remember my Kwacker KH400, before I traded to the Z650, you couldn't keep the front wheel on the ground, sadly miss the smell of that 2-stroke on song.

Reactions: SteveW

SteveW

Jul 1, 2020
Salisbury, Wiltshire
I still remember my Kwacker KH400, before I traded to the Z650, you couldn't keep the front wheel on the ground, sadly miss the smell of that 2-stroke on song.
I must admit I do think I've remembered the old GP I had when I was 17 with VERY rose-tinted specs...... I took mine out for a little run today (only the second run since changing the crank seals and various bits and bob after trying to get it to run right) and only made it as far as my parents' house a few miles away.

I had horrendous vibration at 8,000 RPM, which I don't remember being there the first time I went out last week. Checked it over at parents' place and realised I'd lost the nut from the rear swinging arm bolt :D :D

I did have that bolt off at one point as it holds the exhaust on and I've removed the exhaust during my "fixing". So more than bloody likely I just didn't tighten it up enough!

So the GP is now currently sat in the garage at my folks' house until I can find a new nut that fits.....

Buy a classic motorbike they said, it'll be fun they said...... :D

Reactions: Seastormer
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.