What VAG-COM Cable do i need???

paul V5SE

Hi All!
Please help me!:help:
I am a new seat owner & new to to this site.....
I'm a little confused !!! :confused:
Will the vag com program work on my 2001 2.3 V5 toledo?:headhurt:
If so, what cable would i need to link my motor to my pooter?
I have windows xp with usb & serial port (9 male pin) capabilities.
The reason i'm asking is, my diagnosis/pollution light came on late saturday night just after filling up with v power(for the very 1st time:headhurt:) and being over 100 miles from home [:@].
I drove the car home, no problems with performance or fuel economy.
I am about to reset my ecu as a 1st option to see if this resets the light, if not then its time for ebay to find the cable!
Thanks to all previous threads on this subject, if it wern't for these i wouldn't have had a clue where to start;)

paul V5SE

Just reset ecu......hey presto......no warning light!!!
just hope it will stay off!
If anyone can offer any additional advice on why this light came on in the first place, please feel free to post any thoughts!
Cheers.

Orpster

Cable

Did you find a cable for it ? and what software do you need to hook it up to your laptop ? :shrug:

paul V5SE

The diagnostic software 'vag-com' is available for (free) download at www.ross-tech.com
There were two types of cable available on ebay. I wasn't sure which one i needed, so i didnt bother buying any of them.
I solved the fault i had by reseting the cars ecu & so far so good, no fault light as yet.
Hope this helps!

JonTelfer

On the crab
Jan 24, 2007
If you want to use the shareware version of vag-com you can get away with an ebay vag-com cable (~15 quid). Lots of people have them working here. There are the occasional driver installation probs with these cables but most people seem to solve it.

I've got the pukka ross tech cable as my car has a newer communication protocol. It's worked fine for me and will scan pretty much any vag group car.

At the ebay price it's well worth having. I've scanned more than a few people's cars and found quite a few issues that hadn't triggered the engine light. Considering how much dealers charge for a diagnostics run I think the cables pay for themselves fairly soon.

Orpster

Just reset ecu......hey presto......no warning light!!!
HOW did ya go about just resetting your warming light with out hooking it up to a laptop ???

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.