Wheel bearings or tyres

jgh4445

I have a 2004 Altea with Champio HPZ-45 tyres (size 225/45ZR1791W). I get a terrible amount of what apears to be wheel bearing noise - or - could be road noise?? once I get above 30 mph. I'd appreciate any comments, similar problems that have solved this, etc.

Thanks

Dude

1st UK MK2 LCR on here
Dec 10, 2009
Best way to check if it’s the bearing, is to grab hold of the tyre and shake it back and fourth as hard as you can.
By doing this you should be able to feel if there is any movement in the bearing.

If this is not possible, jack it up slightly and do the same thing, keep in mind you need to secure the car from coming off jack. The tyre only needs to clear the ground.

Also have you checked the tyre pressure? :doh:

jonial

Jonial
Nov 1, 2003
Garstang
www.g4ial.com
I had a similar problem after some 10k miles.
In my case it was the tyres which were Bridgestones.
They had a very uneven wear pattern on the inner edge of the rear tyres.
I have changed all 4 tyres to Barum Tyres and also had the rear tracking checked at my dealers.
The results from the tracking were very interesting. I was told tht whilst the tracking was within the specification it was at the lowest acceptable end.
The tracking (Camber) has now been set at the best end of the spec i.e. lowest Camber angle and the result is outstanding.
The car has now covered some 2k miles and is very very quiet - hardly any road noise at all and no sign of wear on any of the four tyres.

I changed all four tyres as I am not a great lover of different makes of tyres on a car

I hope this helps.

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
Sounds like the rear camber alignment problem again! Mine 'rumbled' for a long time until I found out about the camber settings, mine were 1degree off on each side. 2.26degrees of camber where the system stated 1.19degree.

Problem cured.

pdh 14a

Mr Fussy
Jan 21, 2008
Swansea
I had a similar problem after some 10k miles.
In my case it was the tyres which were Bridgestones.
They had a very uneven wear pattern on the inner edge of the rear tyres.
I have changed all 4 tyres to Barum Tyres and also had the rear tracking checked at my dealers.
The results from the tracking were very interesting. I was told tht whilst the tracking was within the specification it was at the lowest acceptable end.
The tracking (Camber) has now been set at the best end of the spec i.e. lowest Camber angle and the result is outstanding.
The car has now covered some 2k miles and is very very quiet - hardly any road noise at all and no sign of wear on any of the four tyres.

I changed all four tyres as I am not a great lover of different makes of tyres on a car

I hope this helps.

Just one small point,tracking is more the toe in/out (Direction of wheels pointing forward) Camber is the amount they lean in (Bottom of wheel to top of wheel)
And unless you get a better service where you live,camber won't be checked by having the tracking done in the uk.
You'd need full wheel alignment which is normally £50- £60 and take a garage about an hour.
My camber on the rear was 1 degree on one side and 2 on the other,i would recomend people to have this checked around every 18 months ;)

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
Could I ask where you got your mirror covers from and how much they were ? Also are they on folding mirrors .Cheers Baz

I got them from Agnew Seat Belfast, Try David @ SERE, he has a section on here. If i remember correctly they were around £30. I have manual folding mirrors, straight swap with black/colour coded type.

baz_r

my altea's got the same problem on the 16" bridgestones, so i'll get the rear cambers checked- will any independent tyre garage know what the cambers should be to eradicate the rumbling completely? or if not, does anybody know what they should be?

pdh 14a

Mr Fussy
Jan 21, 2008
Swansea
my altea's got the same problem on the 16" bridgestones, so i'll get the rear cambers checked- will any independent tyre garage know what the cambers should be to eradicate the rumbling completely? or if not, does anybody know what they should be?

I think between 1 and 1.2 degrees is about right! :)

baz_r

happily, i got the problems rectified at a very good garage in coventry called mr tyre- they did me 2 bridgestone 205/55/16 at £65 each incl valves and balancing and then fixed the tracking which was badly out front and rear for a further 40 quid.
car is running alot quieter now and sits on the motorway steady as a rock- no more 2 handed steering anymore

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise