Wheel Refurb Colour?

Neaky290

Feb 7, 2019
Hi,
I have a Monsoon Grey FR184 and want to refurb the alloys with a colour change.
Any suggestions which colour would look best?
I was thinking Anthracite or Gunmetal but would they be dark enough or should I just go for Black?

Thanks
Neaky

Leeoncupra

Feb 12, 2017
Halesowen
Hi,
I have a Monsoon Grey FR184 and want to refurb the alloys with a colour change.
Any suggestions which colour would look best?
I was thinking Anthracite or Gunmetal but would they be dark enough or should I just go for Black?

Thanks
Neaky
Shadow chrome

Too dark or black makes wheels look smaller

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I’m a big fan of anthracite coloured alloys - had them on my last two cars. Anthracite or gunmetal hide brake dust and work well with most car colours. The alloys on my current car are Ferric Iron - lighter than anthracite but darker than silver.

From a cleaning / maintenance point of view, I always think that black alloys are similar to a black car; unless just washed, they always look dusty or dirty (road grime or brake dust) and they show swirl marks. The design of the wheels is also ‘lost‘ unless you’re close up to the car.

Given the choice of anthracite/ gunmetal or black, I’d always go for anthracite or gunmetal. The only time I’d choose black is if the choice was between black and diamond cut alloys as I dislike diamond cut alloys with a passion!

Edit; you’ve not said which alloys you have on your car - IMO alloys with wide spokes (e.g. the standard 17” alloys on the Leon FR) don’t look great in dark colours. If you do have the standard 17” alloys on your car, I’d be inclined to go for a darker shade of sliver, or shadow chrome as suggested by @Leeoncupra.

Last edited:

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
Shadow chrome

Too dark or black makes wheels look smaller

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Shadow chrome all day long
shadowchrome27.jpg

Apologies for the BMW badge 😁

Neaky290

Feb 7, 2019
I’m a big fan of anthracite coloured alloys - had them on my last two cars. Anthracite or gunmetal hide brake dust and work well with most car colours. The alloys on my current car are Ferric Iron - lighter than anthracite but darker than silver.

From a cleaning / maintenance point of view, I always think that black alloys are similar to a black car; unless just washed, they always look dusty or dirty (road grime or brake dust) and they show swirl marks. The design of the wheels is also ‘lost‘ unless you’re close up to the car.

Given the choice of anthracite/ gunmetal or black, I’d always go for anthracite or gunmetal. The only time I’d choose black is if the choice was between black and diamond cut alloys as I dislike diamond cut alloys with a passion!

Edit; you’ve not said which alloys you have on your car - IMO alloys with wide spokes (e.g. the standard 17” alloys on the Leon FR) don’t look great in dark colours. If you do have the standard 17” alloys on your car, I’d be inclined to go for a darker shade of sliver, or shadow chrome as suggested by @Leeoncupra.
Wheels are 18" option alloys

Cupra306Form

Sep 24, 2023
1700731397754.jpeg

I know you didn't want silver but anyone looking at the thread who does Ford Moondust silver gives a great finish. This is from a Ford forum (not me - although I've done a few) sprayed from a rattle can. Pretty decent finish.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members