wheel weights

Lacer

Ateca FR 1.4 DSG
Apr 29, 2004
Westbury, Wiltshire
On looking at my car this afternoon I noticed that a lot of my wheel weights are missing leaving just the sticky pads behind. It starts to make sense now that could be the cause of vibration under braking. Would an average garage be able to fix it or does it have to be a tyre garage? Where could I source the weights from?

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
On looking at my car this afternoon I noticed that a lot of my wheel weights are missing leaving just the sticky pads behind. It starts to make sense now that could be the cause of vibration under braking. Would an average garage be able to fix it or does it have to be a tyre garage? Where could I source the weights from?

Every time you have new tyres fitted they rebalance the wheels to suit the new tyres. The old weights are cut off (usually leaving the black sticky residue behind) and then the wheels and tyres are balanced and new weights stuck on in the required place. The fact that there's evidence of old wheel weights on the rim is nothing to signify that they're missing or should be there.

If you have any doubts about the wheel balance, then a good tyre fitters place will balance them for you by removing the existing weights, spinning the wheel up on a machine, and placing new weights where it thinks they should be.

Note: I wouldn't class kwik fit and such like as a place to have them done. They'll bugger it up, try and sell you new tyres, drop your alloy face down and damage it, charge you well over the odds, and probably won't be any help at all. Find a good local (recommended) place to have them done, but I wouldn't think that vibration under braking is a wheel balance issue, more likely suspension problem.

Last edited:

Lacer

Ateca FR 1.4 DSG
Apr 29, 2004
Westbury, Wiltshire
Every time you have new tyres fitted they rebalance the wheels to suit the new tyres. The old weights are cut off (usually leaving the black sticky residue behind) and then the wheels and tyres are balanced and new weights stuck on in the required place. The fact that there's evidence of old wheel weights on the rim is nothing to signify that they're missing or should be there.

If you have any doubts about the wheel balance, then a good tyre fitters place will balance them for you by removing the existing weights, spinning the wheel up on a machine, and placing new weights where it thinks they should be.

Note: I wouldn't class kwik fit and such like as a place to have them done. They'll bugger it up, try and sell you new tyres, drop your alloy face down and damage it, charge you well over the odds, and probably won't be any help at all. Find a good local (recommended) place to have them done, but I wouldn't think that vibration under braking is a wheel balance issue, more likely suspension problem.

Ok Thanks for your help. Makes sense as have had all 4 replaced in last year. No other indication of any suspension issues so hopefully not that.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.