Which detailing kit

Aug 22, 2021
Hi all I’m picking up my 2011 mk2 cupra next Saturday and am looking for a detailing kit that contains everything I need.
I’ve hurt my head googling them too much and would like your opinions on what kit I could get that covers everything.
Thanks in advance guys

ryan9

Feb 26, 2021
If starting from scratch I'd probably look somewhere like EZ Car Care to get you going. Not sure how good their stuff is, but they always seem to have great deals on kits and you can usually customise them so you only get the products you want.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Not saying use Auto Finesse but they have a good guide for beginners and order which I used at the beginning.

I use Gyeon currently but I've been testing out the Pristine Pro range from our forum sponsor @AP Alex .

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Hi all I’m picking up my 2011 mk2 cupra next Saturday and am looking for a detailing kit that contains everything I need.
I’ve hurt my head googling them too much and would like your opinions on what kit I could get that covers everything.
Thanks in advance guys
I’d say that the condition of the paintwork and what results you’re looking for are key considerations when thinking about what kit you need. It the car’s a dark colour and hasn’t been washed using a safe wash technique, then the paintwork probably shows swirl marks from a poor wash technique. If you want to remove the swirls rather than just hide them, then a DA polishing machine, along with a range of suitable pads and polishes would be a consideration.

You probably aren’t thinking of going as far as machine polishing. I’d start with a good basic wash kit; two buckets with grit guards, a good ph neutral shampoo, lambs wool wash mitt and a selection of plush microfibre drying towels. If you’re thinking of polishing and waxing / sealing the paintwork, then ideally the paintwork needs to be decontaminated first, so consider a clay bar, lubricant to use with the clay bar (quick detailer works well as a lubricant), iron fall out remover and tar / glue remover. For waxes and sealants, you don’t need to spend a fortune - I use Collinite 845 Insulator Wax or Soft99 Fusso Coat 12 months wax. Both of these products are good value and have good durability, but to maximise the durability, decontaminating the paintwork first is recommended.

Lots of good advice and guides on Detailing World forum on the basics of washing / cleaning / detailing and the kit you need, so worth giving that forum a look.

Ghostface

Feb 26, 2020
I agree with this guy above, I'd recommend bilt hamber clay bar as you don't need to spent extra on quick detailer for lubricant as tap water is suitable. Also you can get the clay mitts which have several uses and again water is fine for lubricant although I use a double dose of autoglym shampoo and a few litres of water for my lubricant.
The polishing stage will depend on the bodywork condition whether a simple polish is enough or you got to go further with a compound which is more aggressive than a polish. A dual action polisher will always be better and easier/faster but you can damage the paintwork if you apply too much pressure etc. By hand is doable but time consuming and harder work.
Too many products to chose from that's what makes detailing a real headache.

Reactions: Jay5959

Jay5959

FR 184
Apr 26, 2020
Too many products to chose from that's what makes detailing a real headache.
Could not agree more, it’s a minefield. I started off getting into detailing a couple of years ago and there’s so many brands with so many products. All depends how far down the rabbit hole you want to go. A DA polisher is a good investment and i found that meguiars compounds are decent. Before all that though, you want fallout remover, iron x is cheap and works well, tar remover and clay bar. I would also recommend a good spray/quick wax for the maintenance washes, again I use meguiars quick wax and it’s decent.

on a side note, the clear coat on seats in my opinion are quite “hard”. My paint work was atrocious (don’t view a car in the wet! Dealer coated it in wax too), the DA did a decent job but I need to brave a wet sand, to get the worse scratches out.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise