Which tyres do you run on your Toledo?

Matt-V5-Duffy

Parts, parts, parts...
Oct 6, 2010
Nottinghamshire
I've currently got Pirelli P7's on the front an Nankang NSII's on the back, they came with the car.
In the dry the P7's aren't too bad but in the wet they are poor at best so will be swapped very soon for some better rubber. The Nankang's are also absolute rubbish, very little grip in the dry and verging on dangerous in the wet... they've not caught me out yet though:bleh:

dvance

Mar 23, 2010
I've decided to amend my opinion on the Kumho Ecsta's. Had a nice run in decent rain and then drying conditions from Edinburgh to Newcastle and back on the A68. Cannot complain. Was taking some of the turns at 50+mph and acceleration out of turns was spot on. Pretty happy with that :)

v5er

Feb 18, 2007
Lancs.
Falken f k452's. Only changed the part worn p6000 tyres once in 3 years of ownership. The car handles much better with the Falkens and the wear is good considering the price.

jap_j

Fullrun chinese carp...

Bad in the dry, dangerous in the wet. Turns braking effort into Disney on Ice. Makes any takeoff a meaningless imitation of a 17 year old in a Ford Fiesta Popular Plus. Steering and cornering are two completely independent tasks.

OK, they're not quite that bad, they were dirt cheap and I'm getting huge mileage out of them (10k miles and they still look new). But I won't be getting them again.

im experiencing similar stories on my antyres:cry:...there ok in dry...but in wet they are like ice..and she spinns all day if ye shoe it....but there lasting long...as i bought the car with them on...wont be buying them for winter do..as im dreadding driving them on on...

mathew2233

v5 all the way
Nov 4, 2010
bradford abbas (dorset)
iv got brigestone all weather tyers on mine and they really do work in all weathers. loads of grip in the drye and they seem to stick well in the wet they do let go when u push them hard but what tyer dosnt :)

krisby

Custom user title
Nov 17, 2010
Sipson
My car came with Contipremiumcontact 2, they are awful, I seem to remember having continentals on my YZF750 years ago that were crap too. I won't bother changing them as I intend on getting bigger wheels once I have a job and the Mrs lets me.

Oldskoolfool

Pirelli P6000 on my V5, good in dry, not confidence inspiring in the wet!

akchappers

Jun 27, 2010
Gillingham Dorset.
iv just bought a v5 to go with our cupra a i have michelin primacy on mine all round.seem to work pretty well so far.though we have snow here so even if i had super glue tyres wrapped round bubble gum it wont make a difference! But have them on the leon too and they seem great on that!

dvance

Mar 23, 2010
I am up for new boots -- got a good deal on some P6000s what's the general opinion? Should I take the plunge or look for something else?

vagfleet

Im running Falken 452's on 19" BBS LM reps and rate them very highly especially in the dry.
I also run Goodyear eagle's and Kuhmo Ecsta's on 17" Octavia vRS spiders (two different sets) and again both are very good.

v5er

Feb 18, 2007
Lancs.
I had 15000 miles out of some 16" Falken FK452's. They were great in the dry but not as good as Dunlop Sport Fast Response or Michelin Pilot Primacy HP's which grip better in all conditions and give a smoother ride. The Pirelli's ride better than the Falkens a bit but that's it.

Tollysman

Feb 28, 2011
I have Goodyear Eagle F1s on my V56 and I have come to trust them so much. No scary moments so far in dry or wet conditions. I do at least 300+ miles a week on twisty A and B roads and it grips confidently. I have not tried them at utterly silly speeds though but I am not planning to do so anyways! :D

rk696

Aug 16, 2007
West Yorkshire
dvance, the P6000s are a really old design tyre - The gri and handling is very average and they are quite noisy, but last for ages.

How much have you been quoted for them?

The Kumho Ecsta SPT KU31's are immense in the dry and wet, but get a bit slippy in the damp. Shame they don't make them anymore. I've heard good things about michelin pilot sport too, and vredestein tyres are quite good too.

adaminnit

I bought the kwikfit brand arrowspeed and they're absolutely fine - and I've done a lot more demanding driving than most ever will in the UK

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
My car came with Contipremiumcontact 2, they are awful, I seem to remember having continentals on my YZF750 years ago that were crap too. I won't bother changing them as I intend on getting bigger wheels once I have a job and the Mrs lets me.

I've got the sport contact 2 on mine now, and they are an amazing tyre. The trouble with tyre technology nowadays is that you can't really compare any tyre to it's 3-5 year old predecessor, chances are the tyre will be completely different.

I was looking out for the FK452's, but they weren't readily available when I was in the market to get some. My next tyre choice will be winter tyres, going to buy them on the hottest day in August to make sure they're in stock and at decent prices!!

For the bike I go with Bridgestone, they're not the best tyres but they suit my riding perfectly. I started on BT-020, moved to BT-021, and probably going to the BT-023 when they're next due.

dvance

Mar 23, 2010
dvance, the P6000s are a really old design tyre - The gri and handling is very average and they are quite noisy, but last for ages.

How much have you been quoted for them?

The Kumho Ecsta SPT KU31's are immense in the dry and wet, but get a bit slippy in the damp. Shame they don't make them anymore. I've heard good things about michelin pilot sport too, and vredestein tyres are quite good too.

I did get those P6000s at the end. I paid 210 quid for 4 of them with the multi-spoke cupra wheels and shipping. All in all, I think it was a good deal.

Haven't had the chance to drive them in the wet but in the dry they seem to be quite a bit better than the Kumho Ecsta Supra's I had on the front (quite worn), so I am happy with that. They certainly did alright when I went out for a nice sporty drive on the Selkirk, Moffat, Peebles triangle the other day :D. The ride is much better than the Conti WinterContacts I had before in the winter.

Ideally, I would have gone for something more upmarket but I don't have the money to do it -- the rising fuel costs, and the fact that my stipend runs out at the end of January (PhD student, and I would have to keep going for a few months afterwards with no job) means my budget for the car is severely compromised.

dvance

Mar 23, 2010
As expected my previous post tempted faith -- this morning on my commute to work, I got quite sideways on one of the smallish roundabouts. The fact that it was wet and I was (in hindsight) going a bit quick did not help. Some tyre squealing later I caught the slide before I familiarized myself with the kerb, and all is well. There was some butt clenching involved though :D

xj8jagman

tyres

I inherited a set of pirelli p6000 on my v5 so cant compare them with any others but they work very well

Rog.

...is unwell
Jul 19, 2006
Location Location
In the past I've bought remoulds and part worns, but towards the end of my time with the Toledo 20VT I had four ContiSport Contact 2s fitted, and they were a revelation. Amazing tyres in the dry, predictable in the wet, quiet and with reasonable wear. I'm now working my way up to a full set of Sport Contact 3s on the Altea (2 fitted on the back, the fronts are due for replacing in the Summer) - the 3s have had good reviews (they won evo magazine's tyre test), I'd recommend them to anyone.
The trouble with evaluating tyres is that whatever you fit tends to be replacing something that was on its last legs - so even a cheapy Chinese brand can feel better initially than a worn out tyre from a well known name. I'd just say buy the best you can.

May 19, 2011
I've just bought a wheel package which came with Capitol Sport budgets - hope I don't end up in a ditch somewhere

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.